Guidelines to Creating and Roleplaying Your Character
For the Mainstream/Alternate YvtW Threads
(Includes the 2.0, 0.2, 3.0, Ultimates, and Next Gen threads)
The (Original) Written Rules:
1) You cannot pick an all-encompassing power, like a Green Lantern ring or the Power Cosmic. The power(s) must do specific things. You cannot pick more than 3 specific powers.
2) The power you pick cannot effect a area around you bigger than your naked-eye line of sight. No world-shaking things. No Thor-level storms. (Ranges for Travel-powers like Teleportation or sensory powers being an exception. With those, you can go anywhere as long as you have been there before, or can see your destination somehow.)
3) You cannot increase your intelligence or other mental qualities at all. Nor can you simulate these things with technology. This is going to be you, underneath all the changes.
(You can have power that creates technology, or controls it, but it cannot be any higher-tech than what's already possible in real life.)
4) The power must be intrinsic to you. It cannot come from a an item. You cannot have nanobots that you control, and so forth.
5) Any mind-control/reading or empathic control/reading powers, or anything else that effects the minds of others that you pick can only effect one person at a time, and they must be within your naked-eye line of sight .
6) You cannot specify yourself as unkillable or totally immortal. You must be killable by a heavy (non-nuclear) artillery strike.
7) You cannot mess with Time in any way.
8) Your physical powers cannot be Superman/God level, or anything close to that. As a rule of thumb, they should be not higher than the level of somebody like Spiderman, the old Quicksilver, the Fantastic Four, Generation X, or people like Jack Hawksmoor, The Midnighter, or Swift. In other words, impressive and versatile is okay, Godlike is not okay.
Thread 2.0 and General Rulings:
Co-Moderators: The Watcher and Manuel
(These addendums apply to all threads unless specifically excluded by the poster in charge of the Thread.)
- Any visitors from universes outside of the YvtW universes that break the power limits of the YvtW universes are automatically downgraded in power upon entry into the YvtW universes. For example, The Flash would not be able to exceed 700 mph on Earth 2.0, and Thor could be permanently killed by a heavy artillery strike.
- While other-dimensional technology would also suffer some downgrading, if they were reverse engineered and then built on Earth 2.0 itself, it would suffer less downgrading.
- You may get enhancements onto your powers outside of the thread universes, though if they exceed thread limits, they will be downgraded as well when you return to the thread universes. Also note that you do not automatically increase your power off-thread. You only have the potential to increase your pre-existing powers. Furthermore, such an increase does not happen automatically; you must train and study for it to happen, and such training takes time. For example, if you chose anime style chi, then don't expect to reach Goku-level without studyin in the DBZU for at least a few years.
- Any learnable powers, like DBZ chi or the Force, are assumed to be beyond our ability to learn. The assumption is that we lack something unique to those dimensions that allow us to do so. Unless of course your chosen power allows for it.
- Time travel is allowed outside of the thread universes, but must obey local universal laws (for example, time travel in the Marvel Universe would only create another alternate timeline). However, time travel even outside of the thread universes are not allowed when it can directly affect the past of another thread character. Outside of these two rules, time travel would also inherently come with possible paradox or negative/unexpected effects, and is in general highly unpredicable and unreliable.
- The smallest level of manipulation that you can achieve with your powers is molecular level. This does not mean that you cannot affect things of small levels (which is inevitable with powers such as energy control and transmutation), but this limitation applies to direct manipulation atoms and such. For example, you may turn a lead pipe into gold (lead atoms collectively into gold atoms), but you may not turn individual iron atoms in someone's bloodstream (ie. hemoglobin) into gold atoms.
- No large-scale manipulation of matter. A limit has not been set on this as of yet, but let your common sense guide you. No turning the moon into cheese and whatnot.
- In temperature powers, the minimum level of coldness that can be achieved is 100 Kelvin, and the maximum would be that of the Human Torch's hottest blast (ie. small tac nuke). Reaching absolute zero temperature, whether through temperature powers, or energy control powers, or magic, or whatever... is not allowed.
- Magic, metaphysical, and psionic powers do not inherently fall under the jurisdiction of "energy", especially energy control powers. Specific acts of magic, such as magical lightning, can be affected by "energy control" powers. But magic effects in and of itself (including magical creatures, artifacts, and non-direct-energy type spells, etc.) are not considered technically "energy" that can be controlled by "energy control powers". Similarly, metaphysical powers such as Star Wars Force powers, Highlander style Quickening powers, Chi powers, etc. also do not fall under the jurisdiction of conventional "energy". The same goes for psionic powers like mind-altering auras, telekinesis, etc. (As a general rule of thumb, assume "energy control" to be applicable to only scientifically quantifiable energies in the pre-supers Real World.)
Mirror Thread Rulings:
(All rules from 2.0 apply unless specifically excluded by the thread moderator.)
- Munchkin-ing and abuse of loopholes around rules are tolerated in this universe... within the bounds of the patience of your fellow posters.
- Multiple mirror doubles for any one 2.0 or 3.0 participant is allowed. But if you have 3 or more mirror duplicates, they may not work together as a team without the cliche villainy backstabbing and double dealing between them.
Thread 3.0 Rulings:
(All rules from 2.0 apply unless specifically excluded by the thread moderator.)
- No extradimensional visitors, technology, or magic are allowed into the 3.0 universe, period. Extradimensional, in this case, refering to beings not originating from one of the YvtW universes. Extradimensional beings would die upon arrival in the 3.0 universe, even technically normal human ones (like Batman). Extradimensional magic would be supressed. Extradimensional technology would either not work or break down.
- Creations created via YvtW powers may only last a maximum of one week in the 3.0 universe. For players who originated on the 3.0 universe, their creations may only last a maximum of one month even outside of the 3.0 universe. Creations include enchantments, artifacts, technology (created using powers), illusions, creature summons, and other power-induced long-term effects.
- You can get enhancement abilities outside of the 3.0 universe. However, if you come back, those enhancements will be supressed and remain dormant for as long as you remain in the thread universe. For native 3.0 characters, they cannot exceed the thread limits in enhancements either. For example, a non-superspeed character can upgrade him/herself outside 3.0 to 700 mph max, no further. Similarly, a 3.0 character with superspeed can't enhance him/herself over 700 mph in non-thread universes either.
Other Important Notes:
- This is you with superpowers. Prior to gaining powers you had the exact same life you had up till now. And all the YvTW Earths were exactly the same as the real world up till the point where everbody gained super powers. In other words, if you're majoring in art history, don't claim that your character is an Iron Man level engineer. If you get squeamish at the sight of blood, don't make your character into a Punisher-wannabe.
For the Spinoff Roleplaying Threads
Divinity Thread Rules
1) You must chose ONE porfolio of what you as a deity represent in the world (eg. War, Lottery, Death, etc.) Whatever you chose, you will be granted full control of it, to certain extents (see 5).
2) You will also get to have the final responsibility to see to it that whatever it is works the way it is supposed to (IOW, you are held accountable if it breaks).
3) God would like to have a recognisable planet handed back to him when he returns in 1000 years, at which time all powers/portfolios return to Him. No goofing around.
4) In addition, you will get immortality, neigh invincibility (you can be killed, but it's daaamned tough) and the usual tossing bolts of lightning, shapeshifting, mega psi-powers, teleportation, granting miracles and cursing/blessing people. The usual Ancient Myth-kind of stuff. You can have saints, prophets, temples, the whole thing.
5) Portfolios that share a area of influence (such as War and Violence, for example) both have power over the grey area. However, if the two deities disagree, their diverging influences cancel out, and the event in question would occur as it normally would without divine intervention.
6) A majority of deities, under the votes and rulings of the Convocation of Gods, can directly take away the powers or portfolios of another diety.
Goal: Your prime directive is to see to it that everything flows smoothly, plus fighting off demons, recovering rouge angels and try to avoid getting conned of your powers by Ol'Lucy Downstairs, who is of course trying to take advantage of the situation.
Radioactive Animal Thread Rules:
- Must be of roughly Spider-man power level
- Powers must be justified based on the animal in question ( this can be loose; see Spider Sense )
- Special effects are encouraged; drawbacks and physical mutation is okay, but not required
- This is you; no radical personality changes ( now ), unless this is how you believe you'd respond to power
- Assume that it happens to all participants at the same time; iow, we're all in it together
- Absolutely no dimension shifting. While this universe isn't cut off from the other threadverses, none of their residents will find this place until and unless specifically ruled otherwise
- Powers choices come with ( comic book ) logical extras. For instance, super strength always comes with some measure of enhanced toughness, like Spider-man has.
- Everybody automatically gets the ability to communicate with animals of their general type ( snakes, birds, cats ), and limited control over those of their specific type ( boas, falcons, tigers )
- Power levels *can* increase over time, but it requires extended practice, and won't be extreme
Back to the Introduction