Session 3:
Fire Imp

 

[JadedDM]: Dymin 22nd, Lightday; 11 bells.  We last left off in the bowels of Voxis' smelter.  Jasmin and Astal had entered the storage room and were poking around while Daufer and Gaheris, having heard a noise behind some crates, began to cautiously move forward.

[Daufer]: Daufer circles around the crates, moving in the opposite direction as Gaheris, an arrow nocked and ready.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin sighs in a disappointed fashion before she looks to Astal. "We should probably go find them, I guess. Knowing my luck they all ready found the beasts, and I'm missing out on all of the fun." Jasmin pouts faintly at the idea as she starts walking for the exit to go find Gaheris and Daufer.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris slowly circles around the other way, his bow nocked and ready.  Just as they step into position to see behind the crates, they spot a strange creature.  It is about 5 feet long and 3 feet high at the shoulder.  There is a strange tail that appears armor plated and ends in an odd-looking bony projection that resembles a double-ended paddle.  Two prehensile antennae are located under the thing's two eyes.  The hide is rough, covered with lumpy projections.  It's yellowish tan on the underside and legs, and rust red on the upper back.  It smells like wet, oxidized metal.  The creature turns to face Daufer and raises its antennae up into the air, as if curious.

[JadedDM]: Astal:  "Go ahead.  I'm going to keep looking around a bit," he tells her.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances over her shoulder to Astal then finally shrugs as she grips her staff a bit tighter and starts down toward the direction Gaheris and Daufer went.

[Daufer]: Daufer, unsure of what a rust monster really looks like, looks for confirmation from Gaheris.

[JadedDM]: The creature moves toward Daufer curiously, showing no real hostility that he can see.  It reminds him of a dog, coming to sniff at his hand.  Gaheris' gaze meets Daufer's and he nods, drawing his arrow back.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin steps through the doorway back into the smelter room.  She spots Gaheris on the other side, his bow pulled back.  She cannot see his target or Daufer from her vantage point.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin slows in her steps upon seeing Gaheris. Curiously, she walks a bit more slowly toward him with her staff ready to see what exactly is going on.

[Daufer]: Daufer pulls back on his own arrow and releases it.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [5] = (5)

[Daufer]: ((Darn fives...))

[JadedDM]: The arrow bounces off of the creature's thick hide, spooking it considerably.  It suddenly turns and runs, charging right toward the dumbstruck Gaheris.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris, momentarily stunned, is sent to the ground when the creature slams into him in its attempt to escape.  It heads to the western wall, behind some crates.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Gah..," he groans, sitting up and rubbing his head.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin tries not to laugh at Gaheris, but fails miserably in that department. "Nice going," she mutters.

[Daufer]: Daufer runs to Gaheris' position, scanning to see where the creature might have exited, before asking Gaheris, "You alright?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris gets up.  "Yeah...just surprised me.  Let's get after it."  He picks up his bow and arrow and heads toward the wall of crates near the west wall.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin follows after Gaheris quietly.

[Daufer]: Daufer follows, nocking another arrow.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris slowly edges his way around the crates, an arrow nocked in his bow.  When he comes close enough to see, he frowns.  There is a thick layer of metallic dust on the ground and several half-eaten ores scattered about.  The creature is stuck in a corner, facing them and with its tail raised threateningly.  "I think this is its nest," Gaheris comments.

[Jasmin]: "Its nest?" Jasmin wrinkles her nose glancing to Gaheris.

[Daufer]: "Where's the mage?" Daufer growls. "Thought he was with you."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "No time to find him.  We need to kill it before it causes a big mess."

[Jasmin]: "He stayed behind, yet I don't really know why. I didn't ask either." She shrugs absently before she readies herself. "Well, come on then if we are going to stop this thing," she says as she moves to attack the rust monster.

[JadedDM]: (Initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [8] = (8)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [4] = (4)

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [2] = (2)

[Daufer]: Daufer lets loose another arrow, but this one also bounces off the creature's thick hide.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [9] = (9)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin strikes out with her staff to smack it, yet in her haste she swings a bit too wide.  She curses quietly to herself.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [10] = (10)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris fires an arrow at the creature, but it, too, bounces off its hide.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [8] = (8)

[Daufer]: Another arrow flies but this one misses completely.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [6] = (6)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris lets loose another arrow, which is deflected by the creature's bony tail.  "Damn, I forgot how hard-shelled these things were."

[JadedDM]: (Actions for Round 2?)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin moves to attack again.

[Daufer]: Daufer follows up with more arrows.

[JadedDM]: (Initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [7] = (7)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [11] = (11)

[Daufer]: Another arrow bounces off the creature's armored plates, and Daufer curses himself.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes another strike at the rust monster, now that she has a better grip on her staff. Yet the staff bounces off the monster harmlessly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [8] = (8)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris fires another arrow, again to no avail.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [10] = (10)

[Daufer]: An arrow bounces harmless off the creature and to the floor.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [6] = (6)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris shoots again, proving just as useless as before.

[JadedDM]: Clearly agitated and cornered, the creature suddenly runs toward the wall of crates and narrowly squeezes into a small space between two crates, escaping.  This, however, causes the top most crate to tumble down right near Jasmin.  (Roll a DEX check, Heather.)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [6] = (6)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin tumbles forward into a summersault, narrowly avoiding the crate as it tumbles to the ground. The crate lands with a thick thud which kicks up a bunch of metallic dust into the air.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris hurries over to her.  "Damn, woman.  You were nearly as flat as a silver piece.  Are you okay?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks up to Gaheris smiling brightly. "That was...bracing," she says, giggling lightly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "We need to find a way to kill this thing and quick.  Its armor plating is too tough."

[Daufer]: "Got away again. Now what?" Daufer growls, frustrated.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pushes herself up from the floor, and she dusts herself off. "Astal and I did find a place on where we could possibly corner them, but with what little damage we are doing that isn't really going to be helpful.”

[Daufer]: Daufer starts picking up the arrows that bounced off the creature's hide.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Any ideas?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin motions to the crates that nearly smashed her flat. "Why couldn't we try dropping those heavy crates on them?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris looks up at some of the stacked crates.  "Yeah, maybe.  But it would take a lot of strength to push one down."

[Jasmin]: "We might be able to do it with the three of us pushing."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "At least one of us would need to keep it distracted."

[Jasmin]: "So let me do it." Jasmin smiles faintly at the idea. "All one would need is a few metal pieces to keep it distracted...right?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris looks to the priest.  "What do you think?"

[Daufer]: "It could work," Daufer says with a shrug. "That'll still leave one more rust monster, though."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods.  "One thing at a time.  First, we need some bait."

[Jasmin]: "The room Astal and I were in has a lot of things that could be used as bait. It doesn't look like it has been touched by the monsters yet."

[Daufer]: "Shouldn't be hard. If this is the creature's nest, it'll come back eventually."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods.  "We just need to flush it out then.  I'll go grab some bait then.  You two try and find where it went."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin nods a bit to Gaheris as she starts forward to search for the monster.

[Daufer]: Daufer nods. "Agreed." He puts any arrows he found into his quiver and follows after Jasmin.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris heads toward the storage room as Daufer and Jasmin head back toward the smelter, looking for some sign of the creature's recent passing.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin keeps her eyes open for any signs of the creature as she walks. Her mind seems to focus on the task at hand rather than actually talking at this point.

[JadedDM]: As the pair silently walks around the bellows, Daufer spots some movement from the corner of his eye over by a solitary crate to the south.

[Daufer]: Daufer signals Jasmin by touching her shoulder and pointing at the crate.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pauses in her steps and then glances towards the crate that he points to. She looks to him curiously before she stalks towards the crate to check it out.

[JadedDM]: The creature seems to be sniffing at the crate curiously, unaware of their presence.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin stops short of the creature, as it doesn't seem to notice her as of yet. She looks over her shoulder to Daufer and simply nods her head to signal that one of the creatures happens to be there.

[Daufer]: "Wait," Daufer says in a low tone. "We don't want to scare it away like last time. We want to lure it to us."

[Jasmin]: "I know," she says very softly to him. "He just best hurry up."

[JadedDM]: The creature calmly pads around the crate, sniffing at various areas with its antennae.  You notice at its feet, a handful of small, white rocks that are catching the light.

[Jasmin]: "What are those?" Jasmin asks, pointing towards the white rocks curiously. "You don't think they could be their...young do you?"

[Daufer]: Daufer frowns. "They just look like rocks to me."

[JadedDM]: Behind them, they hear someone grunting.  Gaheris approaches, carrying a large lump of pig iron.  He moves slowly, clearly weighed down by the ore.

[Daufer]: Looking at Gaheris, he nods over to the crate where the rust monster is.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks over to Gaheris and grins faintly at hearing him.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods and carries the block of metal over by the wall of crates.  He plops it down at the base of a rather unsteady looking tower and then wipes the sweat from his brow.

[JadedDM]: The creature, hearing the sound, raises its antennae into the air and begins to head that way casually.

[Jasmin]: "Now what?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris circles around, keeping a distance from the creature, and rejoins the group.  "Jasmin, you keep it busy and Daufer and I will climb up and push the crate over."

[Daufer]: Daufer straps his bow on his back, and begins to climb the crates.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris follows him up.  The creature, meanwhile, hastily has begun devouring the block of pig iron.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin follows after the creature as it starts for the ore near the crates. Once it starts munching on the iron, Jasmin takes her staff to tap the thing to get its attention.

[JadedDM]: The creature actually ignores her as it finishes eating the ore.  Meanwhile, the two men get into position and prepare to push the crate over.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin sighs faintly as the creature ignores her. "Oh come on," she mutters softly to herself as she moves in to attack as she knows that will get its attention.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [19] = (19)

[Jasmin]: [1d6] -> [5] = (5)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes hold of her staff in both hands and twists her body to shove the staff at the rust monster. Her staff manages to get past the hard hide, causing the creature some minor discomfort.

[JadedDM]: The creature spins around to face Jasmin, raising its tail up and hissing.

[JadedDM]: This is how this will work.  Each round, Jasmin will attempt to hold the creature's attention while the others push on the crate.  Both men must succeed a STR check in order to successfully push it off.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [4] = (4)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin smiles faintly as the creature turns to face her.  She takes another strike at the monster, yet it once again bounces harmlessly off the creature’s hide.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [8] = (8)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [14] = (14)

[JadedDM]: The two men push at the crate, but it only edges slightly.

[Daufer]: Daufer grunts as he pushes against the heavy crate.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes a moment to look up toward the crate with a frown upon her face.  She strikes out again at the creature in hopes of keeping it where it is for a few moments longer.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [11] = (11)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin shoves the end of her staff down upon the rust monster, but once again it doesn't seem to do much.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [2] = (2)

[JadedDM]: Throwing their backs into it, this time the crate edges in the other direction.

[Jasmin]: "Come on, guys!" Jasmin calls out to them.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin groans as her staff strikes the creature once again, but the staff just doesn't seem to get the job done.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [2] = (2)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [19] = (19)

[Jasmin]: (*laughs*)

[Daufer]: ((geez...))

[JadedDM]: Again, the crate only edges forward slightly on Daufer's side.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [16] = (16)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin turns her body to the side as she shoves the staff into the creature, but it does very little.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [12] = (12)

[JadedDM]: The crate seems much heavier than it appears, as it only edges forward slightly again, this time on Gaheris' side.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[Jasmin]: Growing a little frustrated at this point, Jasmin pulls the staff up over her head and brings the end down upon the creature, but that only succeeds in making the staff somewhat reverberate back towards Jasmin's hands.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [4] = (4)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [10] = (10)

[JadedDM]: With one final shove, the crate tips over and comes crashing down toward the rust monster and Jasmin.

[JadedDM]: (Need another DEX roll.)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [7] = (7)

[JadedDM]: Jasmin tumbles to the side as the crate smashes into the rust monster, crushing it like a bug under a giant boot.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris hops down to the ground and examines his work.  "Couldn't shrug that off."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pushes herself up from the floor, brushing herself off with a bit of a huff. "What about the other one?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "What about our sorcerer?"

[Jasmin]: "What about him?" Jasmin glances to Gaheris with a confused expression.

[Daufer]: "He was with you wasn't he?"

[Jasmin]: "He was, but like I said he said he was going to stay behind."

[Daufer]: "And... you just left him behind?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin simply nods. "I'm not his keeper, so if he wanted to stay behind I wasn't going to argue with him."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "We better try and find him then."

[Daufer]: Daufer raises a brow but says nothing.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin crosses her arms in annoyance. "He was last in that storage room."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris walks over toward the storage room, casually dusting some metallic dust from his pants.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin follows after Gaheris.

[Daufer]: Daufer follows Gaheris, taking out his bow.

[JadedDM]: The three enter the room and glance around.  They hear a loud 'thumping' sound again and again off in the back area.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin walks towards the thumping sound curiously.

[JadedDM]: They come across Astal, standing over a dead rust monster.  Its head has been crushed by a couple of pieces of pig iron.  He was just lifting up another one when he sees the party and nearly drops it.  He smirks and sets it down.  "Took care of one," he tells them.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin seems rather surprised upon seeing this. "...So did we."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "How?"

[Daufer]: Daufer blinks, surprised by this turn of events. "Guess you're not so useless after all, Kaodic."

[JadedDM]: Astal:  "Sleep spell.  I found it eating some metal, enchanted it, and then well...," he gestures to the creature's collapsed skull.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin tries not to shudder at what Astal did, but can't seem to stop herself from doing so. "So...I guess we are done then?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Looks like it."

[Daufer]: "Think we might get a few more gold from the rust monster carcasses?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris rubs at his chin, considering.  "Who would buy them?"

[Daufer]: Daufer shrugs. "Just thought I'd ask."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin rolls her eyes at the two of them. "I'm not going to help you drag those things around if you decide to take them," she mentions idly, as she shifts from foot to foot.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Fine, fine.  Let's just go collect our reward then."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin turns and makes her way out cheerfully.

[Daufer]: "Let's go then."

[JadedDM]: The four of them head upstairs, now covered in sweat and metallic dust.  The two priests are waiting for them, looking eager for good news.  "It's done," Gaheris informs them.  "Both are dead."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin tries her best to wipe some of the metallic dust off of her, but soon decides that it just isn't going to come off, so she turns her attention to the priests.

[JadedDM]: Vandoorm:  "You sure made a lot of noise down there.  The smelter wasn't damaged, was it?"

[Jasmin]: "No, it wasn't damaged, and the noise was me almost getting smashed by some of the crates down there."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Yeah, so about our reward?"

[JadedDM]: Vandoorm's nose turns upward slightly.  "Meschior," he says, gesturing to the box the younger priest is holding.

[JadedDM]: Meschior opens the box and steps forward.  "This," he says, picking up an iron flask, "is a Potion of Fire Resistance.  Whoever drinks it will become resistant to flames."  He sets it down and picks up a normal looking canteen.  "This is a Potion of Fire Breath.  As its name implies, drinking it lets you breathe fire.  Just make sure you don't hold it in too long."  He sets it down and then very carefully picks up a ceramic vial.  "This...is Oil of Fiery Burning.  The moment it's exposed to air, it ignites.  So don't open it and be careful not to drop it."  He carefully sets it back down, and then hands the box over to Gaheris.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris turns to the others.  "So how should we divide this up?"

[Daufer]: Daufer shrugs. "The first potion might be useful in the next job."

[JadedDM]: Astal:  "I call dibs on the exploding oil."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks over Gaheris' shoulder to look down at the box, smiling faintly. "You and I can keep an eye on the Fire Breath one," she offers sweetly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "I guess that's settled then."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin blows a kiss or two at the priests and then she walks towards the exit.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris follows her outside.  "A job well done, I think."

[Jasmin]: "I need a bath," she says with a pout.

[Daufer]: "Let's get the next job over with," Daufer says.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris looks to the priest.  "Should we wait until tomorrow and rest up first?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks over her shoulder to Daufer. "Well, if he is that eager to fight a fire imp, then I'm all for it. I just need to get my swords."

[Daufer]: "I feel fine," Daufer says. "If everyone else is up for it right now..."

[JadedDM]: Astal:  "Count me out then.  I need to memorize my spells."

[Jasmin]: "Despite being all hot and sticky, I could do it right now."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Hmm, just when I think I have you figured out, Daufer...all right, let's meet up at the farm's gate then."

[Jasmin]: "I'll meet you all there. I have to go get the rest of my things," she says quickly before she runs off for the tavern.

[JadedDM]: (All right, just tell me what you plan to do before heading to the fields, if anything.)

[Daufer]: ((Daufer retrieves his maul, if he doesn't have it.))

[Jasmin] (whispering): Jasmin is just going to grab her swords since she doesn't have them, along with her pack.

[JadedDM]: The three of them meet an hour later at the gates of the farm fields.  It's now a little after 13 bells.  Now completely geared up, the three head inside.  The farmlands are a patch of somewhat fertile land within the city walls.  As its spring, the crops are still mostly saplings, although they don't look too healthy.  The plants show more yellow and brown than green.  Jasmin leads the way, taking them to the small shack where she first met Brun.  The goblin farmer is there, trying to mend a broken hoe.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin smiles cheerfully as she approaches Brun. "Are you still having fire imp troubles?" she asks sweetly.

[JadedDM]: Brun's attempts of mending the broken hoe with sticky cloth fail and he throws it to the ground with a curse.  He looks up, shielding his eyes from the harsh sun, at the party.  "Oh, you're back.  Yes, it's still out there.  Are these your...companions?" he asks, a slight hint of skepticism in his voice.

[Jasmin]: "Oh, I know they aren't much to look at..," she teases, "but they get the job done." Jasmin motions to Gaheris. "That is Gaheris, and the priest is Daufer."

[Daufer]: Daufer looks back at the goblin with dislike.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "What's our pay?" he asks bluntly.

[JadedDM]: Brun frowns.  "We all chipped in.  We came up with a total of fifteen silver pieces."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nearly falls over with laughter.  "You're kidding!"

[JadedDM]: Brun:  "We're farmers, not nobles.  What did you expect?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances over her shoulder to Gaheris with an amused expression. "Weren't you the one who was just telling me about starting out at the bottom of the barrel?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "You propose we risk our lives for mere change?  You could probably earn more than that at the tavern."

[Daufer]: "We'll be getting 5 silver a piece. And I'd rather not waste my time for goblins."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin huffs. "Then it is up to you, oh fearless leader since all of you are in this business for the money, which isn't going to be much from anyone when it comes to the slums."

[Daufer]: Daufer rolls his eyes at Jasmin, but looks down at the goblin. "You. What more can you offer us for taking care of your problem for you."

[JadedDM]: Brun:  "We are but poor and simple farmers," he says.  "I, myself, have been working these fields my entire life just to pay my family's debts to the Viscount.  Paying you the fifteen silver alone will add another year to my service here."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin turns to the both of them and pouts. "Think about this for a moment. This is a fire imp, which is a lot more worthy than rust monsters, bats, and rats," she says in her charming tones. "If we do this, then we are this much closer to catching up with the Tainted Hands."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "I don't know..."

[Jasmin]: "Come on, Gaheris. I know you better than some, and more than ever you want to show the Tainted Hands don't you?" She takes a few steps closer to him before she wraps her arms around his neck playfully. "You know you want to," she nearly whispers in his ear.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris slips out of her arms.  "Yeah, yeah...I guess."  He glances to Daufer.  "What say you?"

[Daufer]: Daufer shakes his head at Gaheris. "All this trouble for five silver. And for goblins. Let's get this over with," he growls.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin smiles brightly before she turns back to Brun. "It only took a little convincing." She giggles lightly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Where was the imp last sighted?"

[JadedDM]: Brun:  "I last saw it's handiwork on the north side, in the wheat field by the windmill."  He points it out to them.

[Jasmin]: "Let's go check it out then," she says to the others.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "You take point then," he says, sliding his bow out of his quiver.

[Daufer]: Daufer follows with his maul in his hands.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes hold of her swords and pulls them out of the sheaths upon her back. Once settled, she starts for the north.

[JadedDM]: The three of them follow the path north, walking by several smaller fields.  The wheat field is one of the largest, and it spreads out before them as they approach.  A large windmill sits just east of the field, silent and unmoving as there is no wind today.  Not far off, you can see a small plume of smoke emerging from the middle of the field.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin continues forward towards the plume of smoke curiously.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin leading the way, the three come to an area in the field that seems to have been burned away.  A scorched scarecrow stands nearby, looking rather pathetic.  In the clearing they see a creature giggling and dancing around.  Standing at five feet tall, the creature is a wiry humanoid with bright red skin and bat-like wings.  He has a mustache and goatee, horns on his head, and flaming hair.  He wears orange and red silk clothes, which do not seem to be burned.  A black belt with a blue buckle holds a pouch that also seems fire resistant.

[JadedDM]: The creature hears them coming and faces them, apparently not finding them a threat.  He bows politely.  "Top of the morning to you, folks."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin grins widely upon seeing the creature. "It looks like you are having fun here."

[JadedDM]: Fire Imp:  "Not as much fun as normal, but I get my jollies where I can.  I am Cinder of Zenan."  He bows again.

[Daufer]: "Zenan?" Daufer says. "Where's that?"

[JadedDM]: Cinder:  "The Realm of Fire, beyond this world," he says, waving his hand over his head in a half circle.

[Jasmin]: "Well, what are you doing here then other than burning our fields?"

[Daufer]: "Beyond this world... Aren't you a little far from home?"

[JadedDM]: Cinder shrugs.  "I go where I am summoned.  But of course, the git who called me wasn't strong enough and I got away.  That was a laugh and a half."  He chuckles at the memory.

[Jasmin]: "Who...summoned you?"

[JadedDM]: Cinder:  "Some berk of a priest.  He didn't strike me as terribly bright."

[Daufer]: "They wouldn't be a priest of Renos, would they?"

[JadedDM]: Cinder:  "Yeah, that sounds right," he says casually.  "He did say something about the glory of his god and all that usual chat."

[Jasmin]: "Well, it is nice to know where you came from and all, but you are kind of making a mess out of the fields here."

[Daufer]: Daufer gives a sigh of disgust and mutters, "Now why am I not surprised..?”

[JadedDM]: Cinder:  "Yeah, it's pretty great."  He grins impishly.

[Jasmin]: "Oh, I'm all for having fun, but I like to eat too." Jasmin smiles brightly. "So I think we have to stop you."

[JadedDM]: Cinder nods knowingly.  "I see.  You were hired to, uh, 'take care of me', right?"  He giggles, as if speaking of some private joke.

[Daufer]: "Something like that," Daufer says.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin nods in agreement. "That's right."

[JadedDM]: Cinder:  "Well, whatever they're paying you, I'll double it."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris steps forward.  "Really?"

[Daufer]: "I'm sure that wouldn't be that hard to do," Daufer says wryly.

[Jasmin]: "Wait...wait, will you leave too?”

[JadedDM]: Cinder:  "Why would I leave?  I'm having such fun!"  He stretches out his wings and waves his arms.

[Jasmin]: "See now the deal was to get rid of you. If we leave these fields without the job being done, then we are considered unreliable, and I can't have that."

[Daufer]: "She's right. We gave our word, even if it was given to goblins. So, one way or another you're going to have to leave."

[JadedDM]: Cinder chuckles.  "Mortals...you and your 'honor' and 'duty.'  I'll never understand it."  He snorts a small gout of flame.  "But I guess it might be fun to burn something other than crops..."

[Jasmin]: "What exactly would you go after next?"

[JadedDM]: Cinder throws back his head in laugher.  "Not the brightest candle, are you?"  He spreads his wings and widens his stance.

[JadedDM]: (Initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [1] = (1)

[JadedDM]: (Oh, I forgot to ask.  Actions?)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin attacks.

[Daufer]: Daufer drinks half a dose of the potion of fire resistance.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: Daufer takes a swig of potion that he received from the priest of Renos.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [19] = (19)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[Jasmin]: [1d6] -> [1] = (1)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin dances into her attack. Her right sword swings around as she twirls to stab the creature, which causes very little damage then her left sword comes around to stab at him, yet she misses her mark.

[JadedDM]: Cinder's turn.

[JadedDM]: Cinder steps back, snarling from the wound.  He fills his lungs with air and then breaths a jet of flame right at the dancer.

[JadedDM]: (Saving throw vs BW)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [20] = (20)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin notices Cinder taking in a deep breath. She doesn't know exactly what he plans on doing, but she isn't going to wait to find out, so she tumbles down to the ground gracefully to avoid the flame as much as possible, but she isn't quick enough to avoid all of it as the flame burns a bit of her back.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [19] = (19)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [7] = (7)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris lets loose an arrow that strikes the imp's shoulder, causing it considerable pain.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [12] = (12)

[JadedDM]: As the creature staggers, he nocks another arrow and fires, but this one narrowly misses and strikes the ground at his feet.

[JadedDM]: (Actions for Round 2?)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin attacks again.

[Daufer]: Daufer attacks.

[JadedDM]: (Initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [8] = (8)

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [7] = (7)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [1] = (1)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin moves in for the attack again, her right sword coming upwards to stab at Cinder, yet it comes up short, so she brings her other sword in to take care of the miss. The slight pain on her back distracts her enough for her to actually drop the sword though.

[JadedDM]: Cinder's turn.

[JadedDM]: Angered by his pain, the imp flaps his wings and takes to the air.  Once there, he starts chanting and points toward the party.  Two beams of red energy streak from his finger, both heading toward Gaheris.

[JadedDM]: The archer stoops over as the beams strike him.  He looks pretty badly hurt as he tries to steady his bow.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: "Damn piece of sh..."

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [4] = (4)

[JadedDM]: Taking aim, he fires.  The arrow soars through the air and pieces the creature right in the mid-section.  It is knocked from its flight and crashes into the ground before vanishing in a small burst of flame.  Its belt pouch is all that remains of it.

[Daufer]: ((aw, didn't get to do anything))

[JadedDM]: (That...was easier than I thought it would be.)

[Daufer]: ((I feel like Belkar when Miko went down... but there's not even a body to kick...))

[Jasmin]: Jasmin winces a bit as she picks up her sword then places it within their sheathes. Once done she run runs over to Gaheris. "Are you okay?"

[JadedDM]: (Heh, sorry.  I'm the master of underestimating things.  I should have used more than one.)

[JadedDM]: The thief nearly collapses after taking the shot.  He coughs up a bit of blood and looks down at it in disgust.  "I've been better."

[Daufer]: Daufer takes the pouch and tosses it to Gaheris. He then says a small prayer for the man.

[Daufer]: [1d8] -> [5] = (5)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin winces upon seeing the blood as she moves to wrap her arms around him in comfort, despite the fact she tries to hold back her concern for him.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris opens the pouch and empties its contents into his hand.  They are four white coins.  He seems to get considerably better, but whether it's from the coins or the healing, you can't tell.  "This...this is platinum."

[Daufer]: "Well, then this job wasn't a big loss."

[Jasmin]: "Really?" Jasmin's eyes widen in surprise as she looks down at the white coins. Even she seems surprised even with her lack of caring much for money.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris stands up.  "These are worth about 20 gold total.  That sure helps us out."

[Daufer]: ((I wonder what coins from beyond this world would look like...))

[JadedDM]: (He could have stolen them once he got to this world.  Who can say?)

[Daufer]: ((Indeed. That rascally fire imp))

[Jasmin]: "Let’s go tell Brun that the job is done."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Yeah, let's."  He hands each of them a platinum piece, plus a gold piece from his own money.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes the coins and places them within her pack. She then walks down south to find Brun.

[Daufer]: Daufer pockets his own coins and follows.

[JadedDM]: The trio finds the goblin pulling weeds near the shack, grunting and complaining in his native tongue in the process.  He looks up at the sky and groans.  "At least it will probably rain tomorrow..."

[Jasmin]: "Your fire imp is gone," Jasmin calls out cheerfully as she walks towards the goblin.

[JadedDM]: Brun turns to face them.  "That was faster than I expected.  You sure it's dead?"

[Jasmin]: "Pretty sure, yeah."

[Daufer]: "Are you doubting us, little gob?" Daufer says.

[JadedDM]: Brun looks up at Daufer and seems to back down.  "No...of course not."  He unties a little pouch on his belt and tosses it to the hobgoblin.

[Daufer]: Daufer opens the little pouch and counts the coins.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris glances to Daufer, as if asking a silent question.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin covers her mouth while she yawns.

[Daufer]: "It's all here," Daufer says giving the goblin a suspicious look. He hands Jasmin and Gaheris their share, five silver pieces each, and tosses the goblin his pouch back.

[Jasmin]: Once again, Jasmin takes her share and places it within her pack.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Let's head to the tavern.  I could use a drink."

[Jasmin]: "I could still use that bath," Jasmin says. She clasps her hands behind her back and starts walking towards the tavern happily.

[Daufer]: Daufer walks all the way to the tavern as well.

[JadedDM]: The tavern today is pretty busy, filled with drinking miners who are still out of work.  Gaheris manages to find the party a table far in the back and they all sit down as the waitress approaches to take their order.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Screamer shot," he tells her.  "Oh, and bring me a bowl of Goblin Mushpot.  I haven't eaten since this morning."

[Daufer]: Daufer orders his usual drink and meal.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin plops down into a chair and crosses her legs as she relaxes a bit. "I'll take a glass of wine, and some mushroom soup."

[JadedDM]: As the waitress heads to the kitchen, Gaheris leans in and rests his head in his hands.  "You know...we need a name."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin tilts her head back as she looks at the ceiling. "What kind of name?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Well, every good slayer group needs a name.  Something the common folk can use to recognize us."

[Jasmin]: "And here I thought just having me along would help people recognize us," she says with a grin.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris rolls his eyes.  "Anyone have any ideas?"

[Daufer]: Daufer shrugs. "I'm not one for that kind of thing."

[Daufer]: ((Ho ho, we can call it the Order of the Silver Hoopak.))

[Jasmin]: Jasmin keeps silent. Her eyebrows come together as she thinks.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "I figure anything will sound better than the Tainted Hands."

[Jasmin]: " Sorel gave me my stage name, so I don't know what kind of name to come up with." Jasmin wrinkles her nose. "You guys wouldn't want anything...girly after all."

[Daufer]: "How about in commemoration of our first job, the Shadow Bats," Daufer says.

[Jasmin]: "I like the shadow part, but not the bats."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "What's wrong with bats?"

[Daufer]: Daufer shrugs. "I told you I'm not for that kind of thing."

[Jasmin]: "Well, nothing really I guess." Jasmin shrugs. "Though we are naming ourselves after a rodent."

[Daufer]: "Then, by all means, let's hear your ideas," Daufer says.

[Jasmin]: "I...I don't have any," Jasmin says in a huff. "So I guess we'll go with Shadow Bats."

[JadedDM]: The waitress returns and gives them their food and drinks.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin sits up a bit straight once the food is placed in front of her. After taking a few sips of her wine, she begins to eat quickly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris raises his glass in the air.  "So...to the Shadow Bats then?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin picks up her glass and raises it in the air like Gaheris, smiling faintly. "To the Shadow Bats!”

[JadedDM]: The three toast and then drink.  Gaheris swallows his all at once, then slams the glass on the table and wheezes.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin merely giggles at the wheezing as she takes a drink from her glass. "Those are going to be the end of you."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Nah.  Once I'm rich, I can afford the good booze.  And that will be the end of me," he jokes.

[Jasmin]: "Nah, I won't let that happen."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "How do you plan on that?"

[Jasmin]: "I can just hide the booze from you and distract you with...well...me," she says proudly. "You can't resist."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris chuckles.  "Well, in any case, we are a bit richer...have a name and something of a reputation.  Who knows what our next job will be?"

[Jasmin]: "Well, I hope it is more exciting than rust monsters."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Nearly getting flattened twice was not exciting enough for you?"

[Jasmin]: "I could think of more exciting things than just getting flattened." she grins widely for a moment before she finishes off her soup. "On top of needing a bath, I need to shop too."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Me, too.  I should restock on arrows."

[Jasmin]: "Can you help me with armor?" Jasmin wrinkles her nose at the thought. "I think I might need it."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris shrugs.  "I don't know much about it, but I'll do what I can."

[Jasmin]: "Actually, you are just going to tell me if it looks good on me or not." Jasmin winks to him playfully.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "That works form me,” he says with a grin.

   

Back to Renosia III