Session 1:
Exterminators

 

[JadedDM]: Dymin 21st, 666.  Ten bells.  It's a calm day in the Voxis slums, starting out like any other.  You are all in your favorite hang-out, the Mirthful Miner Tavern.  The tavern is one of the cleanest and best maintained buildings in the slums.  However, it's still not sanitary by any means.  A long bar with stools is to the east.  There's a staircase behind the bar leading down to the basement.  To the west is a stage for performances.  There are six round tables spaced about the center.  As it is morning, a few miners are present, hoping to grab a bite to eat before a hard day's work.  Gaheris is sitting at the bar, eating roast mushroom kabob.  Griselda is sitting near him, dressed in her usual performing get-up, talking to him.  Flaco is at the bar, speaking to one of his cute, young waitresses.  Romain, Jasmin's father, is having a beer at one of the tables with a few other miners.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin is sitting on the bar watching Gaheris eat his meal. She has her hair pulled back with a simple white flower barrette, and she is wearing her normal attire. Though she looks a little on the bored side. "Where are they?" she asks impatiently.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris pops the last mushroom in his mouth and savors it before answering.  "They'll be here."

[Daufer]: Daufer enters the tavern, giving a quick glance over to the performance stage, before turning his attention to the bar. Raising his hand he hails Gaheris.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris spots the hobgoblin from the corner of his eye, then turns to face him.  He gestures for him to come over.  "There's one."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin lifts her head to look towards the newcomer. She seems to study him in a critical manner for a few moments. "That one would be the priest," she mutters more to herself.

[Daufer]: Daufer takes a seat on one of the stools. "Am I late?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris stands at 5'10" and weighs in at 152 pounds, with short brown hair and dark brown eyes.  He sports a rough five o'clock shadow and has a semi-muscular build.  He is wearing a dark green bandanna, a dark red shirt, black breeches with a leather belt, brown shoes and leather armor.  A quiver is slung over his back and a naked short sword is strapped to his side.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris shrugs at Daufer's question.  "Nobody is keeping track of the time."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin holds back a small snort as she did promise to play nice. "So who you are?" she finally asks Daufer, putting on one of her more charming smiles. "I'm Jasmin."

[Daufer]: "I am called Daufer," he says simply. "Then, are we all here?" he asks back at Gaheris.

[Jasmin]: "I thought there was suppose to be one more."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris glances around the tavern.  "There was one more:  Astal.  Not sure where he is."  He shrugs.  "Wizards," he says, as if that was explanation enough.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin hops off the bar, stretching her arms out over her head. "Well, no use waiting for him any longer," she says, obviously kind of antsy.

[Daufer]: Daufer raises a brow. "Will he be up to the task?" he asks doubtfully.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris chuckles.  "Don't mind her.  She's impatient.  Sit down, take a load off.  Order a drink."  He waves Flaco over.  "Astal?  I'm sure he will.  I mean...well, I just met him.  But he seemed like a professional."

[Daufer]: Daufer nods at Flaco and asks, "How goes the day?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin crosses her arms in a huff. "There is nothing wrong with being...excited," she says as if she was offended.

[JadedDM]: Flaco:  "Well enough, well enough.  What can I be getting you this day?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "I used to be overeager when I was your age," he says to Jasmin.

[Jasmin]: "Well, where did it go then?”

[JadedDM]: Gaheris frowns suddenly, as if reminded of something unpleasant.  He quickly shakes it off.  "Just outgrew it, I guess."

[Daufer]: "Just an ale," Daufer says.

[JadedDM]: Flaco pours the hobgoblin some ale and sets it before him.  "Enjoy," he says with a friendly smile, before turning his attention to one of his waitresses.

[Jasmin]: "You couldn't have outgrown it too much. You aren't that much older than me anyway. I'll be 18 in a few months," she states proudly.

[Daufer]: Daufer turns to the humans, taking a swig of ale. "Not that I don't enjoy hearing about all this, but I believe there was a reason for your calling us over?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Always cut to the chase, don't you?  Yeah, I'm hoping we can find our first job today.  I thought first we should all meet, though."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin smiles faintly to Daufer, "Well, at least he seems to want to get on with it," she says more teasingly to Gaheris. "This...Astal isn't going to show I don't think, so maybe we should go on without him."  She doesn't really sound eager to meet him either though.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "So Daufer...where have you been the past three years?  I was starting to think you had left Voxis for good."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin rolls her eyes before she finally sits down in a nearby chair. She rests her chin on the back of her chair as she crosses her legs. She seems to absently wait for the details of Daufer's story, though not patiently.

[Daufer]: "I have been here in Voxis. Though, I suppose I've kept to myself more than I should have." He shrugs it off. "Preparing myself."

[Jasmin]: "Preparing yourself for what?"

[Daufer]: Daufer looks as if he's taking a deep breath, repeating an oft-heard speech.  "We must always prepare ourselves, for the next conflict that awaits us," Daufer begins.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks over to Gaheris as if he was insane before turning her attention back to Daufer.

[Daufer]: "Only through conflict can we understand where our true self lies," Daufer continues.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "That's, uh...really deep."

[Daufer]: "As I've told you, many times." Daufer says.

[Jasmin]: "Well, it's...different," Jasmin finally manages to say.

[JadedDM]: Their conversation is interrupted then, when the tavern's doors are swung open and two duergar step in.  They are both bald and look to be about the same age.  One has a puffy brown beard and the other has a silky, well-groomed brown beard.  The puffy-bearded one has an aggressive look to him, and he eyeballs the tavern's patrons one-by-one, as if looking for a challenger.

[Daufer]: Daufer looks towards the newcomers, but does not spare them more than a glance before turning back to the group.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin lifts her head from the back of the chair, looking over to the dwarves. Despite the aggressive look, she offers them both a charming smile as she pushes herself out of her chair.

[JadedDM]: Puffy-bearded dwarf:  "Well, well, well...what a sight, ain't it, brother?  These poor drunken sods are supposed to be the human's finest miners?  Ha!"  He steps inside, a sneer on his face.

[JadedDM]: Flaco:  "Oh, great," he mutters.  "Usually they get mean after they’ve had a few rounds..."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances over her shoulder to Flaco before she addresses the dwarf sweetly. "You haven't seen them at work just yet, sir."

[JadedDM]: Puffy-bearded dwarf:  "Ha!  I've been mining since before you were born, lass.  I can smell talent a mile away.  All I smell here is...failure.  Why, if we dwarves had the Voxis Mines, it would have been finished by now!"

[JadedDM]: The silky-bearded dwarf seems a bit worried and follows after his brother, looking over his shoulder now and again.

[JadedDM]: Romain:  "Hey now...we do the best that we can," he objects, frowning.

[Daufer]: Finding that the group’s attention seems to be fixed on the dwarves, Daufer turns back toward them.

[Jasmin]: "Oh, they don't have anything on dwarven miners to be sure," she says, keeping the sweet tone to her voice. Her eyes glance over to her father. "Though, as he said, they do the best can."  She shrugs a bit.

[JadedDM]: Puffy-bearded dwarf:  "Your 'best' could be beat by a dwarven child, to be sure."

[JadedDM]: Silky-bearded dwarf:  "B-Brother...perhaps we should just...have a seat and..."

[JadedDM]: Romain stands up.  "Now see here, dwarf...you can't talk about us like that!"

[Daufer]: Daufer raises his brows, taking a keener interest in what might or might not happen.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin crosses her arms as she watches this play out. A small smile tugs at her lips.

[JadedDM]: Puffy-bearded dwarf:  "You must be joking!  And you call that a beard?  How pathetic!  I should shave you hairless!  A beard should be a man's pride and joy, not that little wispy thing you got there!" he says to Romain.

[JadedDM]: Romain takes a step forward.  "What did you say, you little..."

[JadedDM]: Flaco suddenly pipes in.  "Hold on here.  No fighting in my bar.  Good dwarves, either sit down and make your order or leave.  Otherwise, I'll ask our bouncer, Grunk, to show you out," he says, gesturing to a rather nasty looking half-ogre standing by the far wall.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks over to Flaco, sighing in disappointment. "And here I thought I was going to see a fight," she says softly before pouting a bit.

[JadedDM]: Puffy-bearded dwarf:  "Huh."  He growls under his breath, and then turns away.  "Let's go brother.  Find us a respectable joint.  They probably water down their spirits here anyway."  He huffs off to the exit, his nervous brother in his wake.

[JadedDM]: Romain grunts and sits back down, taking a gulp of his beer.  The other miners calm down a bit, too.

[JadedDM]: Flaco crosses his arms and shakes his head.  "Must be from Kaltarp.  Damn uppity, for outsiders."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pulls herself on a stool. "I wonder what brings them here."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Well...anyway..," he says, turning back to the bar.

[Jasmin]: "Anyway. Can we go now?" she asks impatiently. "Daufer here will probably agree to that, right?" she asks, looking over to Daufer as if confirming that statement.

[Daufer]: Daufer takes another swig of ale. "I would prefer to finish my drink, but..."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Patience, kitten.  First we need to find a job.  The gods aren't just going to drop one in our lap."

[JadedDM]: It's at this point a piercing scream is heard from the basement.  Before anyone can react, one of the waitresses comes bolting up the stairs and into Flaco's arms.  "Rats!  Giant rats!" she cries, nearly hysterical.

[JadedDM]: Flaco attempts to calm the girl down.  "Giant rats?  In my wine cellar?  Great...now I have to send for the Tainted Hands and hope they show up within the next month," he says bitterly.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin jumps up. "Wait! We can do it, Flaco."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris looks up to the sky.  "Thank you," he mouths, then hops off his stool, as well.

[Daufer]: Daufer gives Gaheris a quizzical eye, but says nothing.

[JadedDM]: Flaco:  "What?  You two?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Three!" he adds, slapping Daufer on the back.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin smiles brightly to Flaco. "Come on, Flaco. Please?"  She pouts towards the man.

[Daufer]: Daufer raises a hand to ward off the slap and stands.

[JadedDM]: Flaco:  "Uh...all right.  If you can get rid of them, I'll pay you five gold."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Fifteen," he haggles.

[JadedDM]: Flaco:  "Fift--are you mad?" he cries.  He notices the young waitress looking at him and clears his throat, regaining his composure.  "Ten.  Not a copper more than that.  I have to make a profit here, you know."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris crosses his arms.  "That seems fair."  He looks to the other two.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin nods in approval to Gaheris.  “Works for me." She straps her swords to her back where they belong, as there was no point to wear them around when they weren't doing anything, and grabs her quarterstaff, just to be prepared. "So let’s go.”

[Daufer]: Daufer nods in agreement.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods and heads over to the stairs.  "Keep everyone away until we're done," he warns Flaco just before he descends.

[Daufer]: Daufer lays down the silver for the ale, hefts his maul, and follows after Gaheris.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin follows after Gaheris quickly, her eyes twinkling with excitement as she descends into the basement.

[JadedDM]: The three descend into a dark and dusty room; the only source of light is a torch on the wall by the stairs.  Gaheris grabs it and holds it overhead.  There are seven rows of shelves, all holding bottles of wine.  Dust covers everything and there are numerous cobwebs in the corners.  It's cool and a little musty.

[Jasmin]: "Well, no wonder there are rats down here," Jasmin mutters softly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "They probably dug their way in from the mines.  Keep a sharp eye out."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin rolls her eyes, but she draws her swords preparing herself.

[Daufer]: "Did they? They seem a little too convenient, if you ask me. Did you really call us over here to kill a couple of rats?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Gold is gold.  Everyone has to start somewhere," he says vaguely.

[JadedDM]: To their right, they hear a loud squeak.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin turns quickly towards the squeak and starts to head that way without much of a care in the world.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Jasmin!"  He hurries after her, carrying the torch.  The illumination reveals a large black rat, about two feet long.  It has a pink tail, red eyes, and yellow teeth.  It appears to be chewing on some wood.  It quickly raises its head as Jasmin approaches and cocks its eye to them.

[Daufer]: Daufer follows in the rear. "Let's get on with it, then."

[Jasmin]: "Oh, it is just a rat, Gaheris." Jasmin wrinkles her nose. "An ugly one at that. Look at that thing," she says, as she gets ready to attack.

[JadedDM]: (State actions.)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin attacks the rat.

[Daufer]: ((How big is this room?))

[JadedDM]: (Quite big, about 30' x 45' total.)

[Daufer]: "Didn't she say there were than one?" Daufer keeps a lookout for more rats.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Yeah, I think she did."

[JadedDM]: (Roll initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [1] = (1)

[JadedDM]: Giant Rat's turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [18] = (18)

[JadedDM]: [1d3] -> [2] = (2)

[JadedDM]: The giant rat snaps at Jasmin, biting at her bare ankle.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin jumps back just as the rat takes a bite out of her ankle, in which she winces a bit. "Mean little thing too," she mutters, narrowing her eyes at the rat.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [14] = (14)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[Jasmin]: [1d6] -> [2] = (2)

[Jasmin]: [1d6] -> [5] = (5)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin twists her body, ignoring the small throbbing her ankle as she takes a swipe with her first sword, piercing the rat quickly before she twists her body again to do the same with her other sword. The rat falls down dead at her feet with a squeak coming out as its last breath.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Nice work, kitten."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin places her right sword in her left hand, holding them both there as she lifts her leg and rubs the spot where the rat bit her. "Well, it teaches it to bite me." She giggles softly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Let's look for any others."

[Daufer]: "Should we spread out?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes a deep breath, holding her swords like normal again as she starts her hunt.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Yeah, they don't seem much of a challenge.  Only one torch, though."

[Daufer]: "I can manage," Daufer replies.

[Daufer]: ((Actually, yeah, why'd I buy that torch...?))

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Right, right," he says, remembering.  “Jasmin will stay with me then."

[JadedDM]: (To set things on fire?)

[Daufer]: ((I think I was just compensating for last time when NO ONE bought a torch.))

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances over her shoulder to Gaheris. “You don't have to stay with me, though the light is nice."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "We'll take the east side, if you think you can handle the west side, Daufer."

[Daufer]: Daufer nods and walks off towards the west.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin watches Daufer walk off towards the west, and she starts her trek toward the east. "Come on, Gaheris," she says, once again impatiently.

[JadedDM]: Daufer heads to the west side of the room, his infravision allowing him to see just as well as if the entire place was well-lit.  As he reaches the far end shelf, he hears a soft pitter-patter sound to the south.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris follows after Jasmin, keeping the torch up.  They reach the east wall but don't see anything just yet.  "It could be in the aisles," he suggests.

[Daufer]: "I think I've found one," he calls, moving closer.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin nods silently to Gaheris, turning down one of the aisle to see if one of the rats is down there, her grip tightening slightly around the hilt of her swords.

[JadedDM]: Moving closer, Daufer can clearly see another large rat coming toward him.  It stops in its tracks suddenly when it spots him.

[JadedDM]: At the same time, the other pair turns down the first aisle and spots a third rat chewing on one of the shelves.

[Jasmin]: "These shelves must taste good," she mutters, finding it kind of amusing as she moves closer toward the disgusting thing, her swords at the ready.

[JadedDM]: (Actions?)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin, once again, attacks the rat.

[Daufer]: Daufer attacks the rat.

[JadedDM]: (Initiative)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [7] = (7)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [10] = (10)

[JadedDM]: Giant Rat II's turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [16] = (16)

[JadedDM]: [1d3] -> [3] = (3)

[JadedDM]: Daufer's rat quickly leaps forward, going for his shin.  Despite his armor's protection, it manages to bite through.

[Daufer]: Daufer lets out a curse and hefts his maul, trying to shake the rat off his leg.

[JadedDM]: (I'm making some great rolls tonight.)

[JadedDM]: Giant Rat III's turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [18] = (18)

[JadedDM]: [1d3] -> [3] = (3)

[Jasmin]: (damnit!)

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's rat hears her coming and turns to face her.  With great agility, it rushes forward and leaps at her, biting her left arm.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [5] = (5)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[Jasmin]: [1d6] -> [5] = (5)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin quickly shakes the rat off her arm. Her eyes narrowing again, she quickly spins, stabbing her left sword at the rat, but she misses from the shock of being attacking so quickly, but she quickly brings her right sword around over her left arm and pierces the rat through the heart in which the rat promptly falls off the shelf with a thump.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [14] = (14)

[Daufer]: [2d4] -> [4,4] = (8)

[Daufer]: Daufer brings down his maul and a loud thunk is heard as he smashes the rat's skull.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris calls out, "We got ours!"

[Daufer]: Daufer grunts, "I have mine as well."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances over her arm with a frown. "Think there are anymore?" she finally asks, glancing to Gaheris.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Best to make sure."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin moves forward again, searching for the little devils once again.

[Daufer]: "Aye," he calls, moving forward.

[JadedDM]: A quick search reveals there are no more giant rats in the room.  They do find a large hole chewed into the south wall, though.  No doubt the beasts got in through there.

[Daufer]: "Someone will have to cover that up. Looks like our job is done, though."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods.  "Yeah.  Let's collect our reward."

[Jasmin]: "We'll tell Flaco about it," she says absently as she places her swords back into their sheathes. Finally, she turns from the hole and moves back up towards the main room.

[JadedDM]: Once the three are back upstairs, Gaheris turns to Flaco.  "Taken care of--all three of them.  We found a hole in the back...you might want to patch that up."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes a moment to look at the bite on her arm again. "Let’s do it again," she says in a cheerful tone.

[Daufer]: Daufer rumbles, "Mmm, something a little more challenging than rats, I hope."

[JadedDM]: Flaco shakes his head.  "Well...thanks then."  He hands Gaheris some gold coins.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Kitten, they're all dead, remember?"  He hands her three gold, and hands another three to Daufer.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes the gold. "Doesn't mean we couldn't find something else."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "We will.  But you two could probably use a little rest first."

[Jasmin]: "Rest. But we didn't really do anything but kill rats," she points out, crossing her arms.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris takes her wrist in his hand and holds her arm up, revealing the rat bite.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin merely shrugs sheepishly. "The rat was lucky."

[Daufer]: Daufer sits down. "I hope we don't have to wait for the next one to 'fall' into our lap," he says, still expressing suspicion.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances over to Daufer, laughing faintly more at the tone in his voice than anything else.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris pockets his gold.  "The problem is our competition--the Tainted Hands.  They get all of the good jobs.  But we do have one advantage here."

[Jasmin]: "What advantage is that?" She pulls herself back up on a stool, now absently rubbing at her ankle.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "The slums.  The Tainted Hands refuse to come here, because the jobs are 'beneath' them.  So if we look for work here, we should be able to find something."

[Jasmin]: "So why are we just sitting around here then, Gaheris?"

[Daufer]: Daufer nods. "That makes sense."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods.  "So we should split up and search the slums.  Then we come back here and report what we found.  Let's say...in an hour."

[Jasmin]: "Works for me." Jasmin hops down to the ground, walking towards the door.

[Daufer]: "Eager, isn't she?" Daufer says in a dour tone.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods.  "Perhaps a little too much sometimes."

[Daufer]: "Where'd you find her?"

[Jasmin]: "I heard that!" she calls out to the two of them grinning as she walks out the door to find work.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Here, actually," he says, gesturing around.  "She's a dancer."

[Daufer]: "Odd," he says. "I don't recall ever seeing her."

[JadedDM]: Jasmin steps outside into the noon sun.  She looks around at the slums.  The roads are suffering from lack of maintenance, the homes are nothing more than run-down shacks, and the air is full of smoke.  The ore smelter pollutes the air and is quite noisy--she can hear it from here.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "She's new, actually.  Just started about a year ago."

[Daufer]: "Hmm. See you in an hour, then."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris nods and heads out himself.

[Daufer]: Daufer walks out of the tavern last.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pauses in her steps so that she can decide which way to go. After a few minutes considering, she moves out towards the east.

[JadedDM]: Daufer steps outside into the noon sun.  He looks around at the slums.  The roads are suffering from lack of maintenance, the homes are nothing more than run-down shacks, and the air is full of smoke.  The ore smelter pollutes the air and is quite noisy--he can even hear it from here.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin walks the streets in comfort, having grown used to this area.  The short swords seem to ward off anyone looking for trouble.  She passes by her own home as she heads eastward.

[Daufer]: Daufer walks south, towards the ore smelter.

[Jasmin]: Despite her wounds, she has a small bounce in her step as she walks. She blows a few kisses to a few of the males that she has seen in the tavern watching her perform as she heads on towards the Shrine Ruins.

[JadedDM]: Daufer heads south, slipping through a couple of alleys to avoid the general populace.  He comes upon the smelter, finding it easy due to the sounds and large amounts of smog in the air.  The building is large, although not as big as the tavern.  The entire place is made from stone, except the metal pipes emerging from the top.  A short staircase leads up to the doorway, which has the emblem of Renos, Guardian of Flame, upon it.

[Daufer]: Daufer walks up the stairs and through the doorway.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin arrives by the old shrine ruins.  She remembers hearing from Gaheris about this place.  It was once a shrine to the Mistress of War, D'lokka.  Apparently, the clergy had quite a presence here since the Hobgoblin's Insurrection, many years back.  However, a few years ago some mad woman torched the place and it has remained in ruins since.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks over the ruins curiously for a few moments before moving closer to inspect the place more than anything else.  She keeps her eyes open for any people that might be around doing the same as her.

[JadedDM]: Daufer enters the building to find himself in what looks to be a shrine.  There is an altar and several pews.  The entire place is illuminated by several burning braziers, which also makes the room feel quite stuffy and hot.  He can hear the sounds of the smelter below, and so reasons the actual ore smelter must be downstairs.  A couple of men in red robes are by the altar, speaking with concerned tones.

[JadedDM]: The shrine ruins aren’t very large, or at least, not what is left of them.  Nobody bothered to clean it up and the years have not been any more kind than the flames had.  There is no roof and only a couple of walls.  Stepping inside, Jasmin finds the place emptied out and covered in a thick layer of soot.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin wrinkles her nose. "No wonder it is in the slums," she mutters to herself as she moves around the place. "I wonder why someone decided to burn the place down though?" she asks herself quietly.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin looks around for a few more minutes, but finds nothing of interest.  Anything of value that survived the fire was surely looted long ago.

[Jasmin]: With a shrug, Jasmin makes her way out of the ruined shrine and heads down an aisle to the south.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin leaves and heads south, walking by some veterans with missing limbs, begging anyone who walks by for a few silver.  As she passes by a small family huddled together under a thrown-together shanty, she notices a small plume of smoke emerging from the east--around where the farmlands are.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin stops walking, looking towards the east. She raises an eyebrow before she moves down that way to check it out.

[JadedDM]: The farmlands are the source of all food in Voxis, except that which is traded from other towns.  Unfortunately, the land is not very fertile and it seems with each passing year, the farmers yield a smaller crop.  Tracing the source of the smoke, she finds a goblin grumbling and swearing as he beats out the last of a small fire with his hat.  It looks like the fire burned a few of the crops, but was nothing too serious.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin approaches the goblin. "What happened?" she asked curiously as her eyes drift over the burnt crops.

[Daufer]: After making himself known, Daufer asks, "I am wondering, sirs, if you are in need of Slayer work?"

[JadedDM]: The goblin whirls around in surprise and looks Jasmin up and down with a bit of confusion.  Obviously, she did stand out a bit in that get-up.  "Fire imp!" he cries when his voice returns.  "Damn thing has been doing this all week.  Thinks it’s a big hoot!"

[JadedDM]: The two priests look at each other, then at the hobgoblin.  "You a slayer?" the younger one asks.

[Daufer]: Daufer bows his head in assent. "As well as two others."

[JadedDM]: The older one looks Daufer up and down suspiciously.  "I've never seen you around before."

[Jasmin]: A sweet, charming smile crosses her lips as she turns her attention back to the goblin. "Fire imp? Do you know why he is doing it, other than for a laugh?"

[JadedDM]: The goblin scowls.  "That's the only reason he needs.  Imps!  Life is a big joke to them."

[Jasmin]: "Seems like a joy to be around," she says. "Would you want some help getting rid of him?"

[Daufer]: "I have lived here all my life. You may not have heard of us, but I am confident in our abilities."

[JadedDM]: Goblin:  "Eh?  What, you a friend of the Tainted Hands or something?"

[JadedDM]: The younger one speaks up.  "If he is a slayer...surely, Renos guided him here to answer our prayers."  This earns him a look of annoyance from his elder.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin shakes her head. "No. My group is just looking for some jobs to do," she says honestly. "Plus, it would take months for the Tainted Hands to come here to help you, as they are so busy with other things."

[Daufer]: Daufer frowns slightly at the mention of Renos leading him anywhere, but he masks his annoyance.

[JadedDM]: Goblin:  "That's true...but what can you do?  Exorcise it?" he asks, again looking at her unusual garments.

[JadedDM]: The older one sighs and shakes his head.  "Very well.  Keep this under your hat, but...it seems a pair of rust monsters has nested down below.  We do need someone to hunt them down and dispose of them before they eat the entire stock of ore."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin laughs faintly before she draws her swords, twirling them in her hand for a moment to honestly show off. "While that would be fun, I can do more than just that."

[JadedDM]: The goblin's eyes seem to widen as a smile creeps upon his face, but it quickly transforms into a frown.  "We're just simple farmers.  We can't afford no slayers."

[Jasmin]: "Hmm, I'm not really the one to haggle the prices. That is more Gaheris' job, but if you don't have the gold what do you have to offer us?" Jasmin motions around the crops. "But if something isn't done, you are going to lose your crops, and Voxis' food source."

[Daufer]: Daufer nods, stroking his chin thoughtfully. "I can see the problem. And how much would we get for getting rid of the problem?"

[JadedDM]: The goblin grimaces.  "I suppose if we all pitch in...we could possibly scrape together a couple of gold pieces...other than that, all we can offer you is some crops."

[JadedDM]: The older priest answers.  "We don't have any money to offer you.  But we would be willing to give you a few of our surplus potions."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin sheathes her swords, placing her index finger on her chin and taps it a few times as she thinks. "Let me talk to Gaheris, and see what he says."

[Daufer]: Daufer looks tempted by the offer, but says, "I cannot give a definite answer without the others. I will return with an answer." He gives a short bow to the other priests and leaves.

[JadedDM]: The goblin nods.  "My name's Brun.  Let me know how it goes then."

[Jasmin]: "I'm Jasmin," she states. "I'll get back with you. Good luck with your crops," she says before she turns away from the goblin and heads back into town.

[JadedDM]: Daufer steps out of the smelter, a bit of sweat on his forehead from the heat inside.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin makes her way through the cornstalks and back to the streets.

[Daufer]: Daufer wipes the sweat off his brow and walks towards the Mirthful Miner.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin makes her way back to the tavern.

[JadedDM]: Fifty minutes or so after leaving, Jasmin and Daufer return to the inn at around the same time.  Gaheris is all ready waiting for them by the bar.  The tavern is largely quiet as most of its patrons are at work.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin finds herself skipping inside the tavern, moving right over to Gaheris before she hops up on a stool. "I found something, I think, but you might not like it."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris spins to face the two.  "Oh, yeah?  And what about you, Daufer?"

[Daufer]: Daufer nods, "I have one as well."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Good.  Because I came up empty."  His brown eyes turn to Jasmin.  "You first, kitten."

[Jasmin]: "The farmlands are being plagued by a fire imp. They don't have a lot to offer us except a couple of gold and some of their crop, but those crops are a source of food for Voxis."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris frowns.  "Sounds like it's not worth it."

[Jasmin]: "Maybe not, but we can't really be picky either."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Maybe we can.  What do you have, Daufer?"

[Daufer]: "The priests at the ore smelter have a problem with a pair of rust monsters. They're willing to part with a few potions in return."

[JadedDM]: Again, Gaheris frowns.  "Potions?  Ehh...maybe we could sell them."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin grins, poking at Gaheris lightly. "You said we had to start out at the bottom...well this is the bottom."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris sighs.  "No kidding.  Well, what do you two think?"

[Jasmin]: "Rust monsters...I wouldn't be able to use my swords it sounds like," she says in a disappointed tone. "The fire imp sounds kind of fun though. It might prove to be a challenge."

[Daufer]: "Rust monsters and fire imps are a step up from rats," Daufer says. "The rust monsters sound like they'd be more challenging." He does not say that as if it's a bad thing.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris considers.  "Rust monsters are pretty easy...if we're prepared.  They'll eat up our metal like it’s mushrooms on payday.  The fire imp...hmm...kind of out of my sphere of knowledge.  I don't know much about the other realms."

[Jasmin]: "The fire imp is kind of a trickster," Jasmin says, shrugging a bit. "I have my quarterstaff when it comes to the rust monsters, so that might help."

[JadedDM]: Outside of the tavern, the three of them hear a loud commotion.  It sounds like a large crowd of people shouting.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin hops from the stool, looking towards the door before she dashes outside to take a look.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris sighs.  "And there she goes again."  He gets up and leisurely strolls after her.

[Daufer]: "Can't keep on task," he mutters, running after them.

[JadedDM]: Stepping outside, the three of them see a large mob of men standing outside of the mine entrance.  Judging from the picks and shovels they are carrying, you deduce they are miners.  They are all looking toward the mine entrance, complaining and shouting at a very tall man blocking the entrance.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin's eyes widen upon seeing the miners before she makes her way towards the mine entrance curiously," What's going on?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris goes with her, pushing past the crowd to see what's going on.

[Daufer]: Daufer follows after them, looking over Gaheris' head.

[JadedDM]: The man blocking the mine entrance is Togg, the half-ogre foreman.  He's very tall, over seven feet in height, with brown eyes, a sloping brow, and a large jaw and is completely bald.  "Stay back, stay back.  I don't know why this is happening," he says to the men, "but until things are safe, I won't risk anyone else going in."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin makes her way past the crowd to look up at Togg, smiling faintly to him. "You don't know why what is happening?" she asks him sweetly.

[JadedDM]: Togg glances to Jasmin.  "Vermin.  Don't know where they came from, but they started attacking everyone in sight.  Rats and shadow bats, mostly.  I had to clear everyone out, but a few are still down there."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks over to Gaheris and Daufer.

[JadedDM]: An older, grizzled looking man approaches Togg.  "Sir, headcount is done.  We're missing three men.  Venar, Stanley, and...," he glance to Jasmin before finishing, "Romain."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin's mouth opens just slightly upon hearing her father's name, but she doesn't make much of a reaction to the news. "We could go down there," she offers finally.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Whoa now...for a price.  We'll go down there for a price," he emphasizes.

[JadedDM]: Togg's brows furrow.  "How much?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris glances to his companions, then back to Togg.  "Fifty gold," he says, crossing his arms.

[JadedDM]: Togg:  "For fifty gold, I'd go down there myself.  Thirty.  But only if you bring them back alive."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "How do we know they're not all ready dead?  We can't promise that.  We'll bring all three back, though, either way."

[JadedDM]: Togg grumbles.  "Fine.  Go.  I hope you know what you're doing, though."

[Jasmin]: "Oh Togg, don't worry," she says, glancing to the others. "Ready?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "You think you are up to it, kitten?  You're still hurt."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin moves to take a step inside, but she pauses glancing to Daufer. "You can heal can't you?"

[Daufer]: Daufer nods, "The Lady of War has given me many gifts."

[Jasmin]: "So before we go in there, maybe you can patch me up a little? You know, so I don't worry Gaheris here too much," she says, grinning.

[Daufer]: ((damn, here it begins, Band-Aid-man))

[JadedDM]: (Haha.  The cleric's burden.)

[Daufer]: Daufer sighs, but moves closer to Jasmin and intones, "Dark Lady, prepare this warrior to do a warrior's burden. Lift her hurts, so that she may fight again. In your name." He makes ritualistic motions with his hands.

[Daufer]: [1d8] -> [3] = (3)

[Daufer]: Jasmin's flesh begins to knit together.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin closes her eyes for a moment before she smiles to Daufer. "Okay,” she says, turning to Gaheris. "I'm ready now. Let’s go."

[JadedDM]: Togg:  "Wait," he stops them.  "Watch out for shriekers."

[Jasmin]: "Gaheris, isn't there a drink you like that is named that?" she asks curiously.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Yeah," he says.  "Let's get going."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin nods before she starts moving into the mines.

[Daufer]: Daufer takes the rear.

[JadedDM]: The three descend into the cool mines, finding the main tunnel illuminated by a series of torches on the walls.  It's a little damp and musty down here, but a relief from the relentless sun above.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin wrinkles her nose at the smell, but she continues forward, looking around as she has never actually been in the mines before.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Jasmin, your father's a miner.  Know anything useful about what's down here?" he asks as they walk forward.

[Jasmin]: "Togg said the shriekers, which Romain has mentioned numerous times in his drunken rantings. Shadow bats are common according to Romain as well as the rats. They did just stumble upon an underground river too, and there is a place where they had to stop mining because they hit a place that was leaking water."

[JadedDM]: The three follow the tunnel as it curves, first to the south, and then back north.  They reach an intersection, and can clearly hear the sound of running water now.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris pauses.  "North, south, or west?" he asks nobody in particular.

[Daufer]: "Where do you think they'd be?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pauses at the intersection, looking around. "West,” she picks randomly. "It is as good as any."

[JadedDM]: Continuing onward, they head west and soon the tunnel leads them into a massive cavern.  A large river, maybe 30 or 40 feet wide, rushes southward.  A bridge stretches over it, further westward.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris pauses at the bridge.  "Wow...big."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin's eyes widen at the sight. "And I thought he was joking about the size of the river."

[Daufer]: "Yes, it's very impressive," Daufer says.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris steps up on the bridge, which is a good ten feet in width and quite sturdy.  He starts the walk across.  "Nobody slip now.  No telling how strong that current is."

[Jasmin]: "Won't be a problem," she says confidently as she starts to walk across.

[JadedDM]: (Is this the part of the dungeon with the obligatory giant octopus?)

[Jasmin]: (Don't make me hurt you.)

[Daufer]: Daufer follows, making his way carefully across the bridge.

[JadedDM]: Once across the bridge, they find themselves in another tunnel heading westward.  As they are walking, they suddenly hear a series of squeaks and twitters.  However, the sounds echo throughout the cave, making it hard to determine where it's coming from.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pulls her swords out of their sheathes upon hearing the noises. "Which way are they coming from?" she asks softly.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "I...I can't tell."

[JadedDM]: The sounds die down after a minute or so, and then they only hear the rushing water behind them.

[Daufer]: "Onward?"

[Jasmin]: "Just keep going. We'll probably run into them soon enough."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Brilliant plan."  He huffs but continues forward, after Jasmin.

[Jasmin]: "I'm not a plan maker. You know that," she says, shaking her head.

[JadedDM]: They follow the tunnel a little further, making a turn at the end to reach...a dead end.  However, a young man is lying on the ground.  He does not move, but is trussed and completely bald.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances around then walks towards the man to check him over.

[JadedDM]: A quick look over reveals that the boy is alive, just unconscious.  She also notices that not only is his head bald, but he has no eyebrows, either.

[Jasmin]: "What happened to all of his hair?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris shrugs.  "Rats ate it?"

[Daufer]: "We'll have to carry him."

[JadedDM]: The young man groans softly, stirring.

[Jasmin]: "Hold on," she says to Daufer. She sheathes one of her swords, placing a hand upon the young man's cheek. "Hey, are you okay?" she asks gently.

[JadedDM]: He blinks his eyes open, trying to move his limbs, but he finds he is tied up.  "Wha....what the?"

[Jasmin]: Jasmin merely shrugs. "What happened?" she asks as she tries to untie him.

[JadedDM]: Young Man:  "Uhhh...someone...must have come up behind me.  I never saw him."  He rubs at his wrists after she unties him.

[Jasmin]: "You have a name?" Jasmin stands back up upon seeing that he seems to be generally okay.

[JadedDM]: Young Man:  "Stanley," he says, getting up.  Now getting a good look at Jasmin, his eyes become transfixed on her and her appealing outfit.

[JadedDM]: (Welcome, Matt.)

[Matt]: (Sorry i couldnt make it sooner. =/)

[Jasmin]: "Jasmin," she says, introducing herself. She just smiles at the look then she motions over to Gaheris and Daufer. "That is Gaheris and Daufer."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "We can escort him back to the intersection.  He can find his way from there."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin nods in agreement with that. "You wouldn't by chance know where Romain or Venar are would you?" 

[JadedDM]: Stanley shakes his head.  "We were scattered all over the place, looking for new iron veins."

[Jasmin]: "All right. Let’s head back to the intersection then."

[JadedDM]: The four proceed back to the large cavern, cross the bridge, and then return to the intersection after a brief walk.

[Jasmin]: "Here we are then, Stanley ." Jasmin smiles sweetly to the boy.

[JadedDM]: Stanley nods his thanks, and after taking one more lingering look at Jasmin, hurries down the main tunnel as fast as he can.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "That's one down."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glances to the south and then to the north tunnel. "Let’s try north next, as west ends up at a dead end."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris gestures.  "Lead on then, kitten," he says, his bow in hand.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin grins before she walks down the north tunnel.

[Daufer]: Daufer is starting to get slightly edgy from not meeting any threat yet down in the mines. He follows from the rear, as usual.

[JadedDM]: Heading north, they reach a rounded out room with another tunnel branching to the east.  There are a couple of pick-axes lying on the ground, apparently abandoned by panicked miners.  A lump of metal, unprocessed iron ore perhaps, is lodged into the wall to the north.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes a quick look around, ignoring the fact that there is some iron ore lodged into the wall. "It seems they left this place in a hurry," she says as she continues on towards the east tunnel.

[JadedDM]: They head a little further west and reach a series of niches that have been carved into the north and south walls by the miners.  However, the torches don't extend this far, so you can't see much beyond this point.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin pauses upon seeing the darkness beyond. "We need light."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris swears.  "I knew I should have brought a torch with us."

[Daufer]: Daufer shakes his head. "You should always come prepared."

[Jasmin]: "Well, I'm all for going for it blindly, but I won't be able to watch out for shriekers that way."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Well, you got the night eyes, Daufer.  Why don't you scout ahead then?"

[Daufer]: Daufer nods, "Very well. I'll be back soon." He moves off into the darkness.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin moves to lean against one of the walls as she waits, tapping her foot impatiently.

[JadedDM]: Stepping into the darkness, Daufer can see a little better now.  Up ahead, he spots a cluster of large yellow mushrooms.  They're about four feet tall or so; hard to miss.  The room also ends in a dead end, just beyond the mushrooms.

[Daufer]: Taking one last glance at his surroundings, he goes back.

[Daufer]: Daufer returns shortly. "Nothing there."

[Jasmin]: "Another dead end?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris groans.  "Damn place is a maze.  Should have got a map or something."

[Daufer]: Daufer nods.

[Jasmin]: "Well, let’s head back and take the south tunnel." Jasmin pushes herself off the wall and starts her trek back.

[JadedDM]: Back-tracking, the three return to the intersection once more.

[Jasmin]: Once back at the intersection, Jasmin walks down the south tunnel.

[JadedDM]: Before Jasmin heads south, she and the others hear the footsteps of someone approaching from the east.

[Astal]: He approaches the party from the eastern tunnel.  “Hello there? “

[Jasmin]: Pausing in her steps, Jasmin glances towards the east, drawing her swords. "Who’s there?" she calls out.

[Daufer]: "Calm down," Daufer says. "Vermin don't speak."

[JadedDM]: Gaheris turns to the newcomer.  "Astal?  Is that you?"

[Astal]: "Sheath your weapon, I mean you no harm."  His attention is taken by Gaheris. "Gaheris, I am late." He smirks.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "I was wondering where you were.  Drink a few too many glasses of wine last night or something?" he asks in jest.

[Jasmin]: Upon hearing Astal's name and seeing him, she drops her swords to her side, yet she doesn't seem all that thrilled to see him.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Well...Daufer, Jasmin...meet Astal.  The wizard I told you about."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin returns her swords to their sheathes on her back. She then walks over to Astral and holds out her hand to him as she studies him closely.

[Daufer]: Daufer look the wizard up and down, sizing him up.

[Astal]: "It is my pleasure," he says, bowing to the complete strangers.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris crosses his arms.  "You're just in time.  We're on a job to rescue a couple of miners.  It seems the vermin down here are acting up, getting violent."

[Jasmin]: "I suppose it is better late than never," she says in her sweet tones.

[Astal]: He looks Jasmin in the eye. "If I had known we had such a lovely lady in our band, I would have shown up earlier."

[Jasmin]: "I'm surprised Gaheris didn't mention me." Jasmin seems to relax a bit at his words.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Well...might as well continue on.  We're on the job, after all."

[Astal]: "Lead the way." Having no intention of being on the frontline if something happens, he lets the others go ahead of him.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin turns from the mage with a playful wink before she walks back towards the southern tunnel.

[Daufer]: Daufer rolls his eyes before moving forward.

[JadedDM]: The group of now four people heads south, Jasmin leading the way.  They reach a sharp turn in the tunnel that bends to the east, and then south again.  This opens into a large cavern, about fifty feet or so in both length and width.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin looks around curiously as she moves into the large cavern.

[JadedDM]: There are three exits, not including the way they just came.  They are a tunnel to the northeast, another to the southeast, and one to the southwest.  In the center of the room is a trio of small storage shacks.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin motions over to the storage shacks. "You think one of those might hold a torch?" she asks the others.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Maybe.  But at least this room is fairly lit."

[Astal]: "I don’t see any reason why there wouldn’t be." He only wants to check their contents; he doesn’t really care.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris approaches one of the shacks and opens it up, looking inside.  "Mostly picks and shovels in this one."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin walks over to another one of the shacks and checks inside.

[JadedDM]: She also finds it full of mining tools, including helmets and picks.

[Astal]: Astal checks the soil beneath his feet, forgetting to pick up some sand, the main component for one of his spells. "I wonder."

[Jasmin]: "Nothing in here either other than helmets, picks, and other tools," Jasmin shrugs slightly before finally checking the final shack.

[JadedDM]: Suddenly, all around you, you hear the sound of high-pitched squeaks and twitters.  It seems to echo all over the place.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin slowly moves away from the shacks and draws her swords.

[JadedDM]: From the northeast tunnel, a large horde of giant rats emerge, as if something startled them into a stampede.  They are coming right toward the party, squeaking and chittering.  A quick count reveals a little over 20 in total.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris steps back, grabbing an arrow from his quiver.  "Shadowbite, damn you!"

[Daufer]: Daufer tightens his grip on his maul and waits for the stampede to come.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin's eyes widen upon seeing the rats, her eyes twinkling once again with excitement as she prepares herself for the horde.

[JadedDM]: (State your actions.)

[Astal]: He scrambles to his feet remembering the verbal command for his spell.

[Daufer]: Daufer attacks the first rat to come at him.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin attacks the first rat to come at her, much like Daufer.

[Astal]: Astal begins to cast Hypnotism on the first rat that comes in range.

[JadedDM]: (Roll initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [7] = (7) 

[Astal]: [1d10] -> [6] = (6)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [3] = (3)

[JadedDM]: The giant rats rush forward, heedless of their own safety.

[JadedDM]: Astal's turn.

[Astal]: Astal begins to cast the spell Hypnotism, but it fails horribly. "You don’t want to fight me." Shocked at his failure, he soon realizes rats do not understand Renosian.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [18] = (18)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [3] = (3)

[JadedDM]: Drawing his arrow back, Gaheris takes aim for one of the rats in the far back.  He lets loose and it flies true, pinning the creature to the ground.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [20] = (20)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[Jasmin]: [2d6] -> [5,4] = (9)

[Jasmin]: [1d6] -> [3] = (3)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin glides into the battle with the rushing rats, twisting her body as her left sword pierces through one of the rat's head, then she spins again, pinning another rat to the ground with her right sword.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[Daufer]: [2d4] -> [4,4] = (8)

[Daufer]: Letting out a war cry, Daufer brings down his maul on one of the rats, breaking its spine.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [10] = (10)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris fires another arrow, but this one hits one of the tool shacks instead.

[JadedDM]: The rats are now upon you.  They swarm forward, surrounding you all.

[JadedDM]: (Actions for round 2?)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin attacks the rats again.

[Daufer]: Daufer attacks the rats. "Stand back, wizard, and let the warriors fight!"

[Astal]: He heeds Daufer’s words and stands behind the more capable melee warriors, pulling a knife out just in case.

[JadedDM]: (Roll initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [6] = (8)

[Astal]: [1d10] -> [7] = (7)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [1] = (1)

[JadedDM]: Giant Rat Swarm's turn.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin is surrounded, three in front, one on each flank, and one in the rear.  Daufer faces a similar situation.  Gaheris and Astal stay in the back, away from the danger.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin winces the rats surrounding her take a few bits out of her, but she manages to pull through.

[Daufer]: Daufer grunts as a rat bites his ankle, but he shrugs the pain away.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [7] = (7)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [9] = (9)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin turns to stab one of the rats biting at her, but as it is distracting a bit, she misses not once, but twice as she spins around to hit another rat biting her.

[JadedDM]: One of the rats breaks away and heads toward Astal.

[JadedDM]: Astal's turn.

[Astal]: Noticing the rat headed for him, he readies his knife.

[Astal]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[Astal]: [1d3] -> [2] = (2)

[Astal]: The rat lunges for his throat only to be met by the edge of Astal’s knife as it plunges into the rodent’s cranium.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [5] = (5)

[Daufer]: The rat Daufer was aiming for jumps onto his maul as he swings it down. Daufer growls in frustration.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [7] = (7)

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [15] = (15)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [3] = (3)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris takes two more shots, killing a pair of giant rats near the back.  "So many of them...Astal, got any other spells?"

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [1] = (1)

[Daufer]: ((ouch))

[Jasmin]: Jasmin twists to make on the rat behind her, but she loses her grip on her right sword, and flies off to the side. "Damn!”

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [5] = (5)

[Daufer]: Daufer makes another swing, but the rats prove to be very nimble and evade his slow movements.

[JadedDM]: (State your actions for Round 3.)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin dashes over to grab her right sword then attacks with her left.

[Daufer]: Daufer attacks more rats.

[Astal]: Astal prepares to cast Sleep.

[JadedDM]: (Roll initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [10] = (10)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [9] = (9)

[Astal]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)

[JadedDM]: Astal's turn.

[Astal]: Astal quickly casts the spell Sleep on a group of rats.

[Astal]: [1d4] -> [4] = (4)

[Astal]: [1d4] -> [3] = (3)

[JadedDM]: Fourteen of the giant rats fall asleep in mid-battle.  This includes all of the ones in the back, all of the ones fighting Daufer, and one of the six fighting Jasmin.  Only the five still attacking her are still up.

[Astal]: "Will that do, Gaheris?"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris swears in awe.  "That'll do..."

[JadedDM]: Giant Rat Swarm's turn.

[JadedDM]: The remaining rats take nips at Jasmin as she goes for her fallen sword.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [6] = (6)

[Jasmin]: As Jasmin bends down to pick up her sword, she cries out in pain as one of the rats takes another bite out of her, though she lifts up to stab her sword into a rat leaping at her, but she stab falls short of its mark.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.  

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [19] = (19)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [2] = (2)

[JadedDM]: Taking aim, Gaheris fires and kills one of the rats on Jasmin's flank.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [5] = (5)

[Daufer]: ((grrr...))

[JadedDM]: (Stop rolling that!)

[Jasmin]: (dude that's three 5's in a row!)

[Daufer]: ((You don't have to tell me!!)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [10] = (10)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris fires another wayward arrow, which ricochets off the cavern wall.

[Daufer]: Daufer curses his luck as he misses the confounded rat yet again.

[JadedDM]: Only four rats remain, not including the sleeping ones, and they are all on Jasmin.  Three on her front and one at her left flank.

[JadedDM]: (Actions for Round 4?)

[Jasmin]: Despite her pain and how weak she feels she continues with the attacking.

[Daufer]: Daufer attacks some rats.

[Astal]: Astal decides to aid Jasmin, and begins to attack the rats at her rear.

[JadedDM]: (Initiative.)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [1] = (1)

[Astal]: [1d10] -> [6] = (6)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)

[JadedDM]: Giant Rat Swarm's turn.

[JadedDM]: All four rats fail to sink their yellow teeth into Jasmin's flesh.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [1] = (1)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin twists her body as the rats start their attack her again, but her right sword flies out of her hand again as she tries to pierce one, in which she curses loudly, as she twirls to hit another rat coming dangerously to hitting , yet she still misses in her quickness.

[JadedDM]: Astal's turn.

[Astal]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[Astal]: [1d3] -> [1] = (1)

[Astal]: Astal swings his knife at the rat and cuts it, but the creature continues to live.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [6] = (6)

[JadedDM]: (Better...but could still use some improvement.)

[Daufer]: ((sigh... at least it's not a 5))

[Jasmin]: (*laughs*)

[Daufer]: Daufer narrowly misses Jasmin as he aims for a rat.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [13] = (13)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [7] = (7)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris lines up his shot and fires, the arrow finding a home in one of the rat's skull.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes this time to pick up her sword quickly, ducking so Daufer doesn't hit her.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [7] = (7)

[Daufer]: ((what is this??))

[JadedDM]: (That's it. Slowly climb the ladder.)

[JadedDM]: (Five more rounds and he'll be able to hit.)

[Jasmin]: (Ohhhh. *wipes tears from her eyes*)

[Daufer]: Daufer misses hitting a rat.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [14] = (14)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [6] = (6)

[JadedDM]: (Like pouring salt into the wound...)

[Daufer]: ((more like rubbing alcohol))

[JadedDM]: Gaheris takes out another rat, leaving just the two awake ones remaining.

[JadedDM]: (Actions for Round 5?)

[Jasmin]: Growing a bit frustrated at this point, she attacks once more.

[Astal]: Astal continues to attack rats.

[Daufer]: Daufer attacks the rats.

[JadedDM]: (Initiative)

[Jasmin]: [1d10] -> [9] = (9)

[Daufer]: [1d10] -> [7] = (7)

[Astal]: [1d10] -> [10] = (10)

[JadedDM]: Giant Rat Swarm's turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [14] = (14)

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [19] = (19)

[Jasmin]: (I hate you.)

[JadedDM]: [2d3] -> [1,1] = (2)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin cries out once again, slumping as the rats bite into her. She seems to just barely hang on.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris:  "Jasmin!"

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [10] = (10)

[JadedDM]: He fires again, but the shot is too wide and instead flies into the darkness.

[JadedDM]: Jasmin's turn.

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [7] = (7)

[Jasmin]: [1d20] -> [9] = (9)

[Astal]: (wow)

[Jasmin]: Jasmin desperately tries to pierce her swords into the rats, but she doesn't come close as she seems to not have much strength left to fight them off.

[JadedDM]: Astal's turn.

[Astal]: [1d20] -> [12] = (12)

[Astal]: Goes for the same rat but misses this time.

[JadedDM]: Daufer's turn.

[Daufer]: [1d20] -> [20] = (20)

[JadedDM]: (There he goes.)

[Jasmin]: (Hey!)

[Astal]: (gratz)

[Daufer]: ((eh, these are just rats...))

[Daufer]: [4d4] -> [4,4,2,1] = (11)

[Daufer]: Daufer lunges at a rat and manages to smash its head in.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris' turn.

[JadedDM]: [1d20] -> [11] = (11)

[JadedDM]: [1d8] -> [3] = (3)

[JadedDM]: Gaheris fires one more shot, this time piercing the final awake rat.

[Jasmin]: Upon seeing the last rat fall that is awake, she drops to her knees, holding her swords limp at her side.

[JadedDM]: Gaheris puts away his bow and draws his short sword.  "Daufer, see to Jasmin."  He begins slaying the sleeping ones before they wake up, one by one.

[Astal]: Begin silencing sleeping rats before the spell wares.

[JadedDM]: After a few moments, Gaheris and Astal have killed the remaining rats.

[Daufer]: Daufer examines Jasmin says a small prayer. "You did well, standing even from taking so many wounds."

[Daufer]: [1d8] -> [8] = (8)

[Astal]: With his clothes stained of blood, he wonders why he left bed this morning "Vermin!"

[JadedDM]: Gaheris looks around the cavern.  "I wonder what in the abyss scared them toward us like that."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin takes a couple of deep breaths as she feels her wounds become to close. She looks up to Daufer with a small smile. "Thanks," she says to both the healing and his words before she pushes herself up.

[Astal]: "I’m not sure."   Astal regroups with Daufer and Jasmin to see what the situation is. "Are you okay, Jasmin?"

[Daufer]: "We still have yet to find the other two miners."

[Jasmin]: Jasmin sheathes her swords, looking over to Astal with a bright smile. "Never better," she says cheerfully. "So which tunnel?"

[JadedDM]: (Okay, we're half an hour over, but we started half an hour late, so we can go ahead and close it here for the night.)

   

Back to Renosia III