Session 37:
Strangeness Afoot

 

[JadedDM]: Bludsin 2nd, Darkday. The party awakens in their rooms at the Twin Coin Inn at around 10 bells, to the sound of light rain pattering on the rooftop. They all meet downstairs to discuss their next move. The tavern is pretty empty, ensuring them some privacy. The only other people present are the barmaid and barkeeper.
[Lon]: "How long do you think we'll need for you three to recover?" Lon asks. "From last time."
[JadedDM]: Nari sits down at the table and leans back in her chair a bit. "I'll be okay, for the most part. I've had worse. Remember that fireball, Psyche?"
[Psyche]: Psyche looks out a window, watching the rain. "I'm actually okay. We should probably get moving as soon as possible." Psyche then glances over to Nari. "Please don't remind me."
[JadedDM]: Terrah does not join the others, but instead quietly heads to the window and looks out at the rain. Her backside has been bandaged.
[JadedDM]: Tugh, on the other hand, joins the others and has her shoulder bandaged up. "I won't be taking on any more guards for awhile, that's for sure," she says with a bit of bitterness.
[Viarra]: Viarra looks a bit discomforted. "May I ask a quick question?"
[Psyche]: "Ask away."
[Viarra]: "When you were here last and took care of that problem..." Viarra bites her lip and looks about.  "Are you sure that problem really went away? Like, really, permanently went away?"
[Psyche]: "The building fell on top of the woman. The only thing left was a crater and a small ball of compressed energy."
[Viarra]: "Are you sure?" Viarra looks concerned, "Like, her ghost or a demon of her or something couldn't still be hanging around?" Viarra's cheeks flush as she says this; she almost looks embarrassed.
[JadedDM]: Tugh's expression turns to one of sincere worry. "She did say something about ascending...you don't think she actually did, do you?"
[Psyche]: "Why...why would she be allowed to ascend?" Psyche frowns. "Though anything is possible. Why do you ask anyway, Viarra?"
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Huh? Wha? What's 'ascending'?"
[Viarra]: "I don't know, but the townsfolk are saying something about a mysterious creature attacking people, a creature that never looks the same, and they say that a howling or moaning sound comes from the temple on some nights." Viarra frowns.
[Lon]: "You shouldn't give her or these people that much credit," Lon says. "After all, just a few weeks ago, they believed she was going to give birth to a god."
[Viarra]: Viarra nods in thought, but still looks a bit perplexed.
[Psyche]: "Ascending...Ladonna was trying to become a god. She used a spell on Janus to get them to believe that she was a god. I doubt she was able to ascend that quickly. Before I left that building, she was in tears after I broke that mirror. There just isn't a way she could have."
[JadedDM]: The two front legs of Nari's chair hit the ground and she sits up straight. "You can do that?" she asks, her eyes wide with amazement.
[Psyche]: "Apparently, it is possible."
[Lon]: "It's useless to think about that now. We should be talking about the matter at hand."
[Psyche]: "As for what they are hearing, it really could be anything. Has anyone actually seen the creature?"
[JadedDM]: Tugh: "What is the matter at hand, again?"
[Viarra]: "Well, that's up for some debate; no one can agree on what it even looks like." Viarra bites her lip again.
[Psyche]: "Then it sounds like we need more information. If the sounds are coming from the temple, then the best place to start looking is there."
[Viarra]: Viarra nods, black curls bouncing against her shoulders. "Do we even want to look?" She looks to the rest of the party members. "Or get on with whatever we came here to get on with?"
[Lon]: Lon looks annoyed. "Do you really want to be sidetracked with this? It just sounds to me like a couple of people are being spooked. I thought you wanted to get to this tower."
[Psyche]: "I do want to get to this tower honestly, but we have time to at least look into this. I don't want to see anything else happen to this town."
[Viarra]: "And, if this is the closest town to the tower, de-spooking these people would go a ways towards their future good will," Viarra says, her brows drawing together in thought.
[Psyche]: "That's true." Psyche nods in agreement with Viarra. "Though, if we don't find anything we will head to the tower."
[Lon]: "Yeah, well, we saved them last time, and they don't remember a thing." Lon puts up his hands. "Fine, I guess since we're here, it couldn't hurt."
[Psyche]: "Lon, what exactly were you expecting from people who were bewitched into believing someone was a Goddess?"
[JadedDM]: Nari: "You think it's worth investigating then?"
[Psyche]: Psyche nods to Nari. "For the moment, yes."
[JadedDM]: Tugh: "Well, if you don't mind, I'm sitting this one out," she says, pointing to her bandaged shoulder.
[Viarra]: "Of course, dear." Viarra pats Tugh's hand.
[Psyche]: "That's fine, Tugh." Psyche offers a small smile to the goblin. "You need your rest. Um, why don't you all head out towards the temple? I'll be along shortly. I want to speak to Terrah first."
[JadedDM]: Tugh: "I'm going to check on the horses. Then I'm going back to bed," she claims, slipping out of her chair and heading outside.
[JadedDM]: Nari looks out the window briefly. "Great. Hope my armor doesn't rust."
[Viarra]: Viarra stands, tucks her chair in and follows Tugh out the door, to look in on Fluffy.
[Psyche]: "Nari, you'll be fine. Go on. I'll meet up with you in a bit."
[JadedDM]: Viarra and Tugh step out on the balcony, right into the light rain. Tugh grunts, then hurries to the stable quickly for shelter.
[JadedDM]: Nari nods and readies her cloak before stepping outside to head to the crater where the temple once was.
[Psyche]: Psyche turns her attention to Terrah. "Do you want to talk about it?"
[JadedDM]: Terrah starts a bit, and then turns away from the window to face Psyche. "I'm sorry. What?"
[Psyche]: "I asked if you wished to talk about what is on your mind." Psyche looks out the window. "You're distracted and you're quiet. I just haven't been able to say anything until now."
[JadedDM]: Terrah blinks, and then shakes her head. "I'm...all right."
[Psyche]: "Are you?" Psyche raises an eyebrow, glancing to her. "This is not something you are use to after all. A lot of this is probably not what you were expecting when you joined us."
[JadedDM]: Terrah: "No...I suppose not," she says in a monotone.
[Psyche]: "I'm not going to pry, but if you do need to talk, I am here, Terrah."
[JadedDM]: Terrah nods. "I understand." She adds as an afterthought, "Thank you."
[Psyche]: Psyche places a hand on the girl's shoulder, smiling faintly. "You're welcome. Come on. We need to go face this rain if we are going to gather any information on what is spooking these people."
[Christophe]: "Psyche Autumnleaf," a voice from behind Psyche almost whispers in her ear.
[JadedDM]: Terrah's eyes widen as she looks over Psyche's shoulder, but she does not speak.
[Psyche]: Psyche starts for a moment, not expecting to hear her name being spoken, especially from a voice she recognizes. Psyche slowly turns to the sound of the voice, her eyes widening. "...Christophe?" She asks in surprise and fear.
[Christophe]: The hooded figure looms over the mage, his dark colored eyes fixed on hers. He appears strangely dry for a man who must have just stepped out of the rain. "I was wondering if you could tell me where all the dragons have gone?" Christophe says with a half-smirk.
[JadedDM]: Terrah has gone completely white as a ghost and takes a step backward, putting her back up against the chilly window pane.
[Psyche]: Psyche looks rather pale herself, yet she reaches out to touch his shoulder to just make sure the man standing before her is real. "The cloak...I completely forgot about your cloak."
[Christophe]: He suddenly wraps an arm around her neck before she can even protest the embrace. "Now you know why I wouldn't let you start the fire." As he pulls his arm back, there are noticeable splotches of claret staining his leather gloves.  "I uh... had to do what was necessary to escape," he explains.
[JadedDM]: Terrah: "You're alive? Not...dead?" she breathes softly.
[Psyche]: "We were going to go back for you, Christophe, but once that Red Ram hunted us down and said that you were dead...I mean he even presented evidence." Psyche sighs, looking to the ground as if ashamed. "You aren't mad are you?"
[Christophe]: Christophe shakes his head. "I'll only be upset if we didn't get Nari out of there alive. That was our plan."
[Psyche]: Psyche glances over to Terrah for a moment before she suddenly hugs Christophe now that she is over her shock. "Don't ever scare me like that again!"
[Christophe]: "Ha! You big softie..." He stops smiling a moment. "Wait, everyone is still alive, right?"
[JadedDM]: Terrah takes a deep breath and puts a hand to her chest in relief.
[Psyche]: "Everyone's fine." Psyche pulls away from him. "We were about to go investigate some strange things that have been happening here since we left."
[Christophe]: Christophe guffaws at this, but manages to keep the volume of his sarcastic laugh down. "Strange things in Janus. Why am I not surprised by that?"
[JadedDM]: Meanwhile, Nari and Lon walk through the rain to reach the crater where the temple once stood. Not much has changed other than the pit is now partially filled with muddy water. The strange black orb is still fixated in the air above the crater. Although there are not many people out this day, in the rain, the few that do walk by seem to try and avoid the crater when they can.
[Psyche]: Psyche giggles softly before shaking her head. "Um, I'm not sure how to explain this to everyone...I mean, how did you escape? Oh!" Psyche pauses, grabbing her pack and pulls out his bone necklace. "I think this belongs to you."
[Lon]: Lon takes a sidelong glance at Nari. "Do you hear anything, erm, spooky?"
[JadedDM]: Nari looks around quietly for a few moments before answering. "Just the rain."
[Viarra]: Having checked on Fluffy, Viarra made her way out to the temple, coming up behind Lon and Nari. "What's that thing in the air?" She asks when she finally catches up.
[Lon]: "Your guess is as good as mine." Lon moves his way into the crater to get a better look.
[Christophe]: Christophe looks grimly at the artifact for a lingering moment. He chokes on his first word and has to clear his throat. "Uhm... thanks." He clenches the necklace tightly in his fist.
[JadedDM]: Tugh steps into the tavern then, a bit wet. She takes one look at Christophe and yells out, "Mai'tac!"
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Be careful!"
[JadedDM]: Lon descends into the crater, his boots getting rather muddy in the process as he approaches the orb.
[Psyche]: "You're welcome." Psyche looks around for a moment. "We should head towards the temple. The others are probably waiting, and I'm su..." Psyche looks to Tugh. "Tugh! It's okay!"
[Christophe]: Christophe just stares at the goblin.
[JadedDM]: Tugh: "I thought he was dead," she says, looking to Psyche.
[Lon]: Lon shields his eyes from the rain and looks above at the black orb. Looking back at Viarra and Nari, he shrugs.
[Psyche]: "Well, I thought so too, but I forgot about his cloak that can heal. I'm sure there is more to it than that though."
[Viarra]: Viarra shrugs back. "Do you feel funny looking at it or anything? I know it's grasping at straws, but...."
[Christophe]: Christophe adjusts the strap on his glove. "Yes, well... I'm sure you can use your imagination..."
[Lon]: "Hey, don't be like that, this was your idea!" Lon shouts back over the rain.
[JadedDM]: The orb is no larger than a small bug and it just hovers there, stationary. It makes no sound.
[Viarra]: "Well, fine." Viarra makes her way down the crater to join Lon.
[JadedDM]: Tugh frowns at Psyche, as if the mage somehow broke a promise to her. "I'm going back upstairs," she mutters, and without hesitation leaves.
[JadedDM]: Viarra's boots get stuck in the mud a couple of times, but she manages to catch up to Lon.
[Psyche]: Psyche winces at the look. "Oh…"  She sighs softly. "Come on, you two. Let’s go to where the temple once was." Psyche then walks around Christophe to exit tavern and move on to where the others are suppose to be.
[Lon]: Lon takes a nearby pebble and lobs it at the orb.
[Viarra]: "Damn mud." She shakes her feet off a few times and refocuses her attention on the orb. After some staring, she runs her quarterstaff between the orb and the ground, to see what happens.
[Christophe]: Christophe pauses to allow Terrah out the door before him.
[JadedDM]: The orb zaps the pebble just as it makes contact, causing it to bounce off and plunk into the muddy water. When Viarra touches it with her staff, it again 'bats' it away, like when two magnets of the same polarity touch.
[JadedDM]: Terrah, Psyche and Christophe step out into the rain and make their way silently toward the crater, where Nari is waiting at the edge. Viarra and Lon are down, inside it, muddy water up to their knees.
[Lon]: "Why don't you try singing it to the ground?" Lon says jokingly.
[Viarra]: Viarra chuckles. "At this point, anything's worth a try. Any requests?"
[Psyche]: Psyche clears her throat to get Nari's attention. "Nari, what is going on?"
[Lon]: Lon appears to think about it for a few seconds, before replying, "Anything's fine."
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Nothing, really. They're down there messing with that black thin--Christophe!" she cries the last word out in surprise at seeing the older man again.
[Psyche]: Psyche grins as Nari's reaction.
[Viarra]: Viarra takes a deep breath, about to sing, when she hears Nari's cry. "What's going on up there?"
[Christophe]: Christophe smirks underneath the hood of his cloak. "Hello Nari."
[Psyche]: "Why not come out of that crater and come see for yourself!" Psyche calls out to Viarra and Lon.
[Viarra]: "Because getting down here was a pain in the behind! Is it important?"
[JadedDM]: Nari calls back to the others. "Christophe! He's alive!" She steps forward to the warrior. "Glad you made it out. But that Red Ram said he killed you."
[Psyche]: "Well, that depends on if you think Christophe being alive is important or not, Viarra!"
[Christophe]: "Well, I'm sorry to tell you the man was very much mistaken."
[Viarra]: "Is he going to die if I don't come up? And you mean he isn't dead?" Viarra calls as she begins to trudge back up the crater.
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Obviously." She holds her hand out to him. "I owe you my thanks. I understand without you, I probably couldn't have been freed."
[Lon]: Lon walks back up out of the crater. Seeing Christophe he looks him up and down for a long moment.
[Psyche]: "I don't think he is going to die if you don't come up, and no, he isn't dead."
[Christophe]: Christophe shakes his head. "No thanks are required. You saved my hide by giving me that potion. I owed you one."
[JadedDM]: Nari retracts her hand. "Guess we're even then."
[Christophe]: "Hello Lon." Christophe turns to look at the young rogue.
[Psyche]: Psyche takes a few steps forward to get a closer look at the crater and the small black orb while everyone gets reacquainted with Christophe.
[Viarra]: Viarra finally comes to the top of the crater and shakes the mud off her boots. "Glad you made it." She smiles at Christophe.
[JadedDM]: Psyche descends down into the crater, the hem of her robes dipping in the muddy water and her shoes getting stuck once or twice before she makes it to the orb.
[Lon]: Lon's eyes flare and he tightens his grip on his staff. "You idiot, we were worried," he whispers. Turning back around, he follows Psyche back down into the crater.
[Christophe]: "And you..." he nods at Viarra. He raises an inquisitive eyebrow at Lon as he walks away then turns back to Viarra and the little splotches of dirt on her. "Playing in the mud?"
[Psyche]: Psyche looks to the ground, wrinkling her nose at the mud before she gently takes one of her money pouches off her belt and empties it into another one of her pouches. "I can't believe this thing is still here."
[Lon]: "Do you suppose the Overlord's men are still around?" Lon says as he comes up beside Psyche.
[Viarra]: Viarra's smile at Christophe merely widens, and she descends the crater again.
[Psyche]: "I'm sure they probably are, but they won't care about something like this. Especially if they can't touch it." Psyche opens the now empty pouch fully and she slowly lifts the pouch upwards to see if she can get the black thing trapped inside the pouch.
[JadedDM]: Psyche lifts the pouch upward, bringing its open mouth around the orb with little trouble. However, when she tries to pull the pouch away, it remains stuck in place.
[Christophe]: Christophe walks over and crouches at the apex of the crater, watching over the rest of the party below.
[JadedDM]: Nari taps Christophe's shoulder. "Someone's coming."
[Christophe]: Christophe stands and turns around, looking in Nari's direction.
[Lon]: "They probably already tried that," Lon says.
[JadedDM]: A cloaked young man in Bloodguard scale mail approaches the crater's edge. He stops just before Nari, Terrah and Christophe. "What are you people doing here?" he asks suspiciously, peeking down into the crater at the rest of the party.
[Psyche]: Psyche sighs. "It was worth a shot." She slowly tries to take the pouch from away the orb, since apparently it doesn't want to budge with the orb inside of it.
[JadedDM]: Psyche is successful in retrieving the pouch without the orb.
[Christophe]: "Tourists." Christophe says tersely.
[Viarra]: "I wonder what would happen if you hit it with a lightning bolt." Viarra whispers to Psyche.
[JadedDM]: The young Bloodguard raises his head and locks gazes with Christophe. "Not much to see in this simple village."
[Psyche]: "It seems that this orb repels anything that tires to touch it. I would say it would do the same to a lightning bolt, which would not be a good thing, as it would only fly back at us."
[Christophe]: "Now you're right about that, good sir. But this crater is quite interesting. Apparently a temple used to rest here, yes?"
[Lon]: "Why don't you try that idea I had earlier?" Lon asks.
[JadedDM]: The Bloodguard straightens a bit. "So they say. I just arrived here a week ago, and there was nothing but a hole by then."
[Viarra]: "Sing to it?" Viarra asks. "Do you really think it'll work?" Her tone is neither positive nor negative; more curious.
[Lon]: "Let's try that and be done with it, so we can get out of this rain."
[Viarra]: Viarra looks to Psyche and sighs. "What do you think?"
[Christophe]: Christophe strokes his chin. "Ah... you been in the service long then?"
[Psyche]: Psyche just shrugs. "You can try, I guess. If you think you can get it down, than go ahead. I'm going to see what Christophe and Nari are doing up there."
[JadedDM]: Bloodguard: "Almost two years," he says proudly.
[Viarra]: "All right." Viarra takes a deep breath and begins to sing the most potent song she knows; a song about the multiple suicide attempts of a very emotional fairy.
[Psyche]: Psyche climbs back out of the crater while Viarra sings.
[Christophe]: "Well, that's quite an achievement," Christophe says sincerely. "If you come by the Twin Coin Inn before we leave town, I'd like to buy you a drink, good sir...oh, uh, didn't catch your name?"
[Viarra]: "Of course he wanted to die/ he couldn’t conjure a fly...."
[JadedDM]: Bloodguard: "Brigin." He pauses at Viarra's singing. "What the hell is she doing?"
[Lon]: Lon stares at Viarra with a somewhat bewildered look on his face.
[Psyche]: Psyche looks to the Bloodguard in surprise. "Well, there is a small orb down there that no one can touch, and it doesn't seem to want to move. She is singing to it to see if anything happens." Psyche shrugs rather sheepishly.
[Christophe]: Christophe turns and gives Psyche a discreet look of bloody murder, before turning back to the Bloodguard with an innocent little chuckle.
[Viarra]: Viarra shrugs, tries not to laugh and continues singing, "Everyone hates Eloric the impotent fairy/ He couldn't even make merry...."
[JadedDM]: Brigin: "That's got to be the craziest thing I've ever heard. Who are you people anyway? Some kind of magic researchers?"
[JadedDM]: Viarra's song does not seem to have any visible effect on the orb.
[Lon]: Looking at the orb for a moment longer he claps his hands. "Alright, nothing seems to work, let's get out of here."
[Viarra]: Viarra finishes her song, with the rousing chorus of, "And die, die, die!" Then tries to poke at it with her staff again.
[Psyche]: Psyche glances to Christophe. "Well, we call ourselves the New Dawn. We are nothing but simple explorers, looking for interesting things. We heard there use to be a temple here so we thought we would come and see. It seems the only thing left is a crater and some orb thing though."
[Christophe]: "Parson from the temple of D'lokka . We're hoping the orb here is some sort of sign from our glorious deity."
[JadedDM]: The orb repels the staff, as before.
[JadedDM]: Brigin looks between the mage and fighter and furrows his brow. "O....kay. Well...stay out of trouble then," he says, confused.
[Viarra]: Viarra picks up a small rock and chucks it at the orb.
[Lon]: "Are you finished?" Lon asks.
[Christophe]: "Absolutely, sir." Christophe waves goodbye and then looks angrily at Psyche again.
[JadedDM]: The orb repels the rock, causing it to fly into the muck with a splash.
[Viarra]: Viarra sighs. "I guess so."
[JadedDM]: The Bloodguard shrugs and walks away, casting a glance back at the party once or twice before he's out of sight.
[Psyche]: Psyche watches the guard walk off. "It was the perfect way to get our name out and you say that we are followers of D'lokka?"
[Lon]: "After you," Lon says, gesturing towards the rest of party above them.
[Viarra]: "Thank you kindly," Viarra flashes Lon a smile and heads up to join the rest of the party.
[Lon]: Lon rolls his eyes and trudges back to ground level.
[Christophe]: Christophe shakes his head and mutters under his breath. "What are you doing, Psyche? I nearly had to kill poor Brigin because of that faux pas. I said we're followers of D'lokka to get him to leave us alone. Now, if he has any wits about him, he'll be suspicious. We should leave soon."
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Did you figure out what that black thing is?"
[Psyche]: "Well, considering that we have found nothing as to what might be causing the sounds and moans the townspeople have been hearing, we might as well. That orb....is still a mystery to me."
[Viarra]: "Not even the tragic tale of Eloric the overly emotional fairy could move that thing," Viarra says with a frown.
[Lon]: "Do we even have enough horses?" Lon asks.
[JadedDM]: Nari: "I can share with Tugh. She's little."
[Lon]: "No, no, you're wounded Nari," Lon says. "It wouldn't be right."
[Psyche]: "Christophe can ride with me." Psyche looks between all of them as she starts towards the tavern.
[JadedDM]: Nari: "I'll live."
[Christophe]: Christophe takes a breath of muggy air in. "I've always wanted to ride on a horse named Snow Dancer."
[Psyche]: Psyche glances over her shoulder. "Which is why I offered."
[JadedDM]: Nari: "I'll go get the horses ready." She goes on ahead.
[Viarra]: Viarra trails behind the rest, looking into the streets and at the ground for anything odd.
[JadedDM]: The party reaches the tavern without incident, as most people are in their homes until the rain clears up. Once they reach the stables, Tugh and Nari are all ready there, saddling up the horses.
[Psyche]: "Everyone ready?" Psyche runs her hand through her soaked hair before walking over to Snow Dancer to mount up.
[Christophe]: The cloaked Christophe stands there looking around to the others.
[Viarra]: Viarra easily perches upon Fluffy and looks about. "Ready whenever you are."
[Lon]: "There are people guarding the entrance. We should leave two at a time," Lon suggests.
[JadedDM]: The others get on their respective horses, as well. Terrah on Earthshaker, Tugh on Valora, and Nari on Sorza.
[Psyche]: "Well, since Christophe is with me, I suppose we can go first. Viarra and Terrah next. Lon and Tugh, and Nari can come with Christophe and me."
[JadedDM]: The party files out of the village by pairs, finding no problem in leaving the village. The guards are only interested in those entering. After departing, they turn to the east and ride on in the rain, toward the mythical Tower of Frilothan .
[Psyche]: "How long do you think it will take to get there, Tugh?"
[JadedDM]: Tugh: "About three days, I'd guess."
[Psyche]: "That gives everyone enough time to prepare just in case we run into trouble once we get there. According to Tugh, there possibly could be some sort of warrior and a priest hiding out there."
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Should we worry about them?"
[Psyche]: "We really don't know much. Tugh pretty much stayed away from them, but they apparently took out the thieves that use to stay at this tower.”
[JadedDM]: Nari: "We're not a bunch of thieves, though."
[Psyche]: "Just because we aren't a bunch of thieves doesn't mean that these two, if they are even there, are willing to share. I just want everyone to be prepared."
[Viarra]: "At least we have numbers on them, this time."
[JadedDM]: The party rides forth for several hours before the rain finally lets up. Although wet, the sun has now emerged and warms them up as it shines down.
[Psyche]: Psyche remains quiet for the most part as she allows the sun to dry her out.
[Viarra]: Viarra begins to hum a happy little tune.
[Christophe]: "I hope you're not getting your mud and grime all over me," Christophe says, fluffing his red tunic that has somehow managed to remain clean this entire time.
[Lon]: Lon remains silent as well, tapping his fingers against the saddle in time with Viarra's tune.
[Psyche]: "A little mud and grime isn't going to hurt you, Christophe."
[Christophe]: "But it might ruin my menacing appearance,” he casually retorts.
[JadedDM]: Suddenly, the earth begins to tremble softly, causing the horses to come to a stop in an attempt to keep their balance.
[Psyche]: "Mud would ad..." Psyche stops in mid-sentence as the earth beings to tremble, in which she looks around quickly. "What is going on?"
[JadedDM]: Tugh: "Earthquake!"
[Lon]: Lon keeps a tight grip on his reins, hoping that Glas doesn't rear on his hind legs.
[Christophe]: Christophe grimaces and tries to stay on the horse. He utters some sort of curse under his breath. "Kulaani...."
[Viarra]: Fluffy lets out a loud whinny, and Viarra struggles to keep him under control.
[JadedDM]: The rumbling increases in intensity and volume. About forty feet in front of the party, a portion of the ground breaks apart into a small hole. A large flame flares from down below, arcing high into the air. Although the trembling then ceases, the fire keeps burning.
[Psyche]: Psyche's eyes widen. "Great Azedeth...," she mutters.
[Viarra]: "What the unholy hell is that?" Viarra demands while she tries to keep control of Fluffy, who does NOT like the fire.
[JadedDM]: There's a strange sounding scream heard from within the fire, and then to the party's surprise, a small creature hops out of the flame. It stands at around 3 feet tall and is covered in red fur. It resembles a monkey of sorts, but without a tail. It walks forward a few steps, dragging its knuckles.
[Lon]: Lon looks at the strange creature and looks back at Psyche.
[JadedDM]: Tugh: "Is that a demon?!" the goblin cries in panic.
[Christophe]: Christophe just looks at the creature, completely taken aback.
[Psyche]: "Tugh, calm down," Psyche says softly as she stares at the creature in amazement. "We don't know what it is yet."
[JadedDM]: A second monkey emerges from the flame, then a third, fourth and fifth. They seem confused and disoriented at first, and chatter back and forth to each other. One spots the party and points, screeching. The others turn to face them, and bare their sharp little fangs.
[Christophe]: "I think they want a fight, Psyche."
[JadedDM]: Nari dismounts Sorza and draws her grandfather's sword. "Ugly little things."
[Lon]: Lon dismounts as well, feeling more comfortable on the ground than atop a horse. He loosens his quarterstaff.
[Psyche]: Psyche dismounts from Snow Dancer. "We don't really have much of a choice here, considering that the flame is blocking our way." Psyche frowns. "Viarra, didn't you say the people of Janus were seeing strange creatures?"
[JadedDM]: Tugh rides Valora a short distance behind the party.
[Viarra]: "Yes, I did, and they sure are strange."
[Lon]: "Uh, Psyche? This really isn't the time to be 'discussing' this," Lon says with a little edge to his voice.
[JadedDM]: Terrah dismounts and readies her bow.
[Christophe]: Christophe draws the quarterstaff, but remains on Snow Dancer for the moment.
[Psyche]: "We don't know what these can do, so everyone be careful." Psyche says before she begins chanting the words to a spell.
[JadedDM]: Nari walks toward the creatures, putting some distance between her and the horses. Terrah stays in the back with her bow.
[JadedDM]: (Actions for Round 1?)
[Lon]: Lon will defend the mage and the archer from melee.
[Christophe]: Christophe charges on the horse until he is close enough to have a swing.
[Viarra]: Viarra will attempt to cast a spell.
[Psyche]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)
[Christophe]: [1d10] -> [4] = (4)
[Viarra]: [1d10] -> [6] = (6)
[Lon]: [1d10] -> [1] = (1)
[JadedDM]: Psyche's turn.
[Psyche]: Psyche waves her arms in the air as she chants before she throws a handful of gravel toward the monkeys. The gravel turns into a glittering dust as it falls upon them.
[Psyche]: [1d4+1] -> [3,1] = (4)
[JadedDM]: This seems to blind the creatures effectively. They begin to screech and scream as a result.
[JadedDM]: Unknown Creatures' Turn
[JadedDM]: The creatures surge forward, despite the hindrance to their eyes. Two team up on Nari, and two more go for Lon, who blocks the way to Psyche, Viarra and Terrah. The last one charges at Christophe.
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Yahh! The damn things burn if they touch you!" she cries out as one bites at her.
[Lon]: Lon cries out in pain as one of the monkey-like creatures takes a bite out of his leg.
[Christophe]: One of the creatures leaps up at Christophe and knocks him from Snow Dancer, who in turn tramples over his legs as he flees from the fiery monster. "ARGGGHHH.... Kulaani!!"
[JadedDM]: Christophe's turn.
[Christophe]: Christophe clambers up to his knees and takes a swing at the creature in front of him, a look of rage on his face.
[Christophe]: [1d20] -> [20] = (20)
[Christophe]: [2d6] -> [2,2] = (4)
[Christophe]: Christophe smacks the creature in the s
kull, bellowing out a curse as he does so. The creature makes a death cry and then, without warning, bursts into a puff of smoke, leaving no corpse behind.
[JadedDM]: Viarra's turn.
[Viarra]: Viarra begins to sing a light hearted tune about a little girl from Port Orange and her orange pet bird. When she finishes the song, she points a single finger at one of the monkey-like creatures attacking Lon.
[JadedDM]: The creature slowly rises into the air about twenty feet and hovers there, thrashing about wildly.
[JadedDM]: Terrah's turn.
[JadedDM]: Terrah pulls back the arrow on her bow, but the string snaps, causing her to lose her balance and fall backwards.
[JadedDM]: Nari's turn.
[JadedDM]: Nari slashes down on the creature that bit her, causing it to poof away in a burst of smoke.
[JadedDM]: Three creatures remain; one on Lon, one hovering in the air, and one fighting Nari. Three more of the beasts emerge from the on-going flame and join the fray. Actions for Round 2?
[Psyche]: Psyche chants another spell.
[Viarra]: Viarra will bash the one hovering in the air into one of the three oncoming beasts.
[Lon]: (Lon will attack the creature in front of him.)
[Christophe]: Christophe tries to pull himself to a vertical base and charges at the next creature out of flame.
[Christophe]: [1d10] -> [6] = (6)

[Viarra]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)
[Lon]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)
[Psyche]: [1d10] -> [7] = (7)
[JadedDM]: Viarra's turn.
[Viarra]: [1d20] -> [10] = (10)
[Viarra]: [1d6] -> [4] = (4)
[Viarra]: [1d20] -> [14] = (14)
[Viarra]: Viarra lowers the creature down several feet and takes a swing at it. Her quarterstaff firmly connects with it, sending it flying into one of the other three. The one that Viarra smacked continues to hover a few inches off the ground.
[Thu Aug 17 22:47:08 2006] : [JadedDM]: Psyche's turn.
[Thu Aug 17 22:48:41 2006] : [Psyche]: Psyche pulls out a vial as she chants and uncorks it. Once uncorked, she traces the powder around Terrah quickly.  The powder soon turns into a silver shield with surrounds the fallen girl.
[JadedDM]: Lon's turn.
[Lon]: [1d20] -> [14] = (14)
[Lon]: [1d6] -> [5] = (5)
[Lon]: Lon
gives the creature a resounding smack and it disappears in smoke.
[JadedDM]: Christophe's turn.
[Christophe]: [1d20] -> [1] = (1)
[Christophe]: Christophe somehow manages to stand after being trampled, and charges to the three creatures that emerged from the flame. However, as he swings at the closest one, his knee bu
ckles, and he drops his staff and watches it roll like a log into the flames. "Cruk."
[JadedDM]: Unknown Creatures' turn.
[JadedDM]: The one facing Nari throws itself at her, but she is able to dodge. The hovering one grabs onto the ground with its claws and tries to steady itself. The remaining three swarm toward the now weaponless Christophe. However, he is able to keep them from getting too close by kicking them away.
[JadedDM]: Nari's turn.
[JadedDM]: Nari slices her sword into the one attacking, causing it to vaporize, as well. "Christophe! Are you okay?" She hurries over to his side.
[Christophe]: Christophe shrugs, hastily drawing the hood of his cloak back over his head. "I've had worse." He swats away a loose flame from one of the creatures.
[JadedDM]: Nari's turn.
[JadedDM]: Nari rushes to aid Christophe and decapitates another creature, causing it to vanish.
[Christophe]: [1d20] -> [19] = (19)
[Christophe]: [1d20-3] -> [10,-3] = (7)
[Christophe]: C
hristophe screams a sort of primal scream that no one in the party has ever heard him do before and then begins moving around in front of the creature in a strange Capoeira-like dance before striking it with a combination of rights and lefts, his hands protected by his gloves. The blows kill the creature instantly.
[Psyche]: Psyche blinks in Christophe's direction. "He's never done that before."
[JadedDM]: Terrah attempts to restring her bow quickly. The flame is still present, about as big as a small bonfire, and two more creatures now emerge from it. In addition to these two, there is the one that was levitated and the two attacking Christophe. (Actions for Round 3?)
[Psyche]: "We need to put that fire out!" Psyche cries out before she starts chanting again.
[Viarra]: Viarra will go to Christophe's aid, lend him her quarterstaff, and attack with her whip.
[Lon]: Lon continues to stay near the spellcasters and archer, defending them from any creatures that come near.
[Christophe]: Christophe continues engaging the creatures hand to hand.
[Christophe]: [1d10] -> [1] = (1)
[JadedDM]: (He doesn't accept Viarra's staff?)
[Psyche]: [1d10] -> [4] = (4)
[Christophe]: (no.)
[Viarra]: [1d10] -> [9] = (9)
[JadedDM]: Christophe's turn.
[Christophe]: [1d20-3] -> [7,-3] = (4)
[Christophe]: Ch
ristophe jukes around in front of one of the creatures and attempts a sweeping kick, but the monkey manages to leap over it and push Christophe back, the flames licking at his face.
[JadedDM]: Psyche's turn.
[Psyche]: Psyche pulls out what looks to be glowing moss before she claps her hands together, causing light to flash within one of the monkey's eyes and blinds it.
[JadedDM]: Nari's turn.
[JadedDM]: Nari strikes down the one Psyche just blinded with an overhead swing.
[JadedDM]: Unknown Creatures' turn.
[JadedDM]: The one that was levitated has managed to get to the ground and holds on tight to it. One continues fighting Christophe, another one goes for Viarra.
[JadedDM]: Viarra's turn.
[Viarra]: Viarra lets out a shriek that is somewhere between pain and anger, and draws back her staff, taking a swing at the creature.
[Viarra]: [1d20] -> [11] = (11)
[Viarra]: [1d6] -> [5] = (5)
[Viarra]: The staff firmly connects with the side of the things head, and it disappears with a poof.
[JadedDM]: Terrah finishes restringing her bow. The fire belches out three more of the creatures. (Actions for Round 4?)
[Lon]: (Same as before.)
[Christophe]: (Ditto.)
[Viarra]: (Attack with quarterstaff.)
[Psyche]: "Viarra, you put out our camp fire last time! Do it this time, too!" Psyche calls out before she begins chanting again.
[Viarra]: ((How large is the fire again?))
[JadedDM]: (About as big as a small bonfire.)
[Christophe]: [1d10] -> [8] = (8)
[Psyche]: [1d10] -> [3] = (3)
[Viarra]: ((In that case, she'll retreat and cast pyrotechnics))
[Viarra]: [1d10] -> [2] = (2)
[JadedDM]: Psyche's turn.
[Psyche]: Psyche bends down as she chants; placing her hands to the ground and slowly stands up straight, causing a violet shield to appear in front of her only to disappear seconds later.
[JadedDM]: Viarra's turn.
[Viarra]: Viarra quickly retreats to the back. With a few gulps of air, she launches into the song of the two lovers whose sex was so great it burnt down the entire town.
[JadedDM]: (I need a save from Christophe, since he's near the fire.)
[Christophe]: [1d20] -> [5] = (5)
[JadedDM]: The entire fire goes out, and large plumes of smoke begin to rise from where it was a moment ago.
[JadedDM]: Unknown Creatures' turn.
[JadedDM]: The one fighting Christophe bites at his ankle. The levitating one is still holding on to the ground. The three new ones rush forward, one at Viarra and two at Nari. Both women are able to defend against their attacks, however.
[JadedDM]: Christophe's turn.
[Christophe]: [1d20-5] -> [9,-5] = (4)
[Christophe]: "Rrr
r... little... bastards...." Christophe swings and misses at a fire creature that just took a bite at his ankle.
[JadedDM]: Nari's turn.
[JadedDM]: Nari swings her sword in a downward arc, knocking the creature about five feet away before it puffs away.
[JadedDM]: Terrah's turn.
[JadedDM]: Terrah lets loose an arrow, which strikes the sitting duck target of the creature that was clutching the ground. It vanishes.
[JadedDM]: Christophe's turn.
[Christophe]: [1d20-5] -> [2,-5] = (-3)
[Christophe]: C
hristophe dances around the creature and attempts a charging knee lift, but misses as wildly as his movements are.
[JadedDM]: Nari's turn.
[JadedDM]: Nari reverses the momentum of her sword and takes out her second opponent, as well, wrinkling her nose at the smell of brimstone as the creature goes 'bamf!'
[JadedDM]: Terrah's turn.
[JadedDM]: Terrah fires another arrow, taking out the one that was attacking Viarra. It fizzles away.
[JadedDM]: The fire is gone, and no more creatures emerge. All that is left is the one fighting Christophe. (Actions for Round 5?)
[Lon]: Lon lets Christophe handle the creature.
[Christophe]: Christophe continues attacking the creature.
[Psyche]: Psyche doesn't do anything this round, figuring that the others can handle that last monkey.
[Viarra]: (Ditto.)
[Christophe]: [1d10] -> [6] = (6)
[JadedDM]: Christophe's turn.
[Christophe]: [1d20-5] -> [18,-5] = (13)
[Christophe]: Ch
ristophe spins around and catches the monkey with a hook that reels the creature, but doesn't kill it.
[JadedDM]: Terrah's turn.
[JadedDM]: Terrah aims carefully, trying to see through the smoke. She spots a flash of red fur, fires, and the arrow pierces the creature's side, killing it. Its smoke merges with the smoke coming from the former fire.
[Psyche]: Psyche takes a deep breath, looking around. "Is everyone all right?"
[JadedDM]: Nari, coughing, moves away from the smoke.
[JadedDM]: Terrah sighs in relief and lowers her bow. Tugh slowly trots back toward the others upon Valora.
[JadedDM]: Nari looks to Psyche. "I'll live. I wish Jerros and his potions were here, though."
[Viarra]: "I rather liked this dress," Viarra says with a soft sigh as she inspects the rip in the sleeve and the charred flesh from where one of the creatures had wounded her.
[Lon]: "What was that?" Lon asks, a little breathless.
[Christophe]: Christophe stumbles back towards the others, somehow not limping or crawling after all the punishment his body took. He takes some heavy breaths but says nothing.
[JadedDM]: Nari: "Good question. I have never seen such a beast before."
[Psyche]: "His potions would be nice, but I think Kestrel would be even more welcomed." Psyche sighs. "I'm not sure what those were, but I don't want to hang around here and get attacked by more either."
[Lon]: "Agreed, but it came out of nowhere. It could happen again."
[Viarra]: "Well, it sort of seemed to come from the earth...."
[JadedDM]: Nari walks over to Christophe. "You okay, friend?"
[Psyche]: "There is probably more to it than what we just saw. " Psyche walks back over to her horse and mounts up. "Let’s get moving."
[Christophe]: Christophe looks as if he is in a daze, then looks up at Nari. "Oh... yeah, I'm alright. Just winded... and sore."
[JadedDM]: Nari looks at her hand, which has a red burn mark on it. "Yeah, tell me about it. It reminded me of those things Adolfo used to play with."
[JadedDM]: Terrah remounts her horse, looking a little shaken.
[Psyche]: Psyche looks over to Terrah. "You all right?" She kicks Snow Dancer into a trot, moving over to Christophe to help him back up on the horse.
[JadedDM]: Nari climbs back up Sorza, quietly muttering to herself about her wounds and burns.
[Lon]: Lon mounts Glas and waits.
[Christophe]: Christophe manages to get aboard the mount once again.
[JadedDM]: (All right. We'll call it a night here. Next session, we'll start just as they arrive at the tower.)

 

Back to Renosia II