Session 13:
Mystery Solved

 

[JadedDM]: Onix 12th, Frostday; 665.  We last left off around noon or so at the Limani Farm.  Meria was sent back to the barn.  Kestrel had just retrieved Draven and Nari'Najya and brought them around back to speak with Psyche.  Mano was talking with Terrah by the front door.

[Nari]: "What's up?" Nari looks to Psyche for the news.

Mano scratches his elbow, though the gloves don't make it easy. "So what crops y'all farm?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Mostly corn.  We have a few fruit trees, and a patch of tomatoes and potatoes, as well."

Psyche looks over to Nari for a moment. "Well, I learned what is probably making Faxon seem...insane to his family. It is a herb, we just need to prove that his wife is giving it to him."

[Nari]: "His wife?" She asks with a little shock.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel elaborates.  "We found the remains of an herb that causes a person to hallucinate in Faxon's...bucket."

[Mano]: "Fruit you say? What kind?"

[Psyche]: "The only way he could be getting this herb is by putting it in his food. Since his wife is the cook, I assume it would be her." She shrugs slightly. "Then again, it could be someone else, but I highly doubt it, so we have to find the herb, which is called Devil's Eye."

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "One apple and one orange.  We really just grow them to feed ourselves.  We can't really sell them."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "Devil's Eye...I've heard of that."

[Mano]: "Any other interesting herbage?"

[Nari]: "Do we have ideas on how to find this?"  Nari looks around. "Are we just going to snoop around?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "No, not really.  I've read about some herbs in the medical book we have, but I haven't really seen any."

Psyche glances over to Draven. "Orcs use it for spiritual reasons, if I remember correctly. It helps them...see visions or something." She then looks over to Nari. "I was hoping to use Terrah, considering she is c-concerned about her father. Meria is in the barn pretending to be sick, so that we may stay longer."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "I knew a few mercs who got addicted to it, too."

[Mano]: "Herbage, like, nifty plants? Interesting trees? A particularly shabby bush?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah blinked.  "You sound like you're looking for something specific."

Psyche nods at Draven's words. "It is possible that the herb is having that kind of affect on Faxon. He is having some sort of withdrawal from it, which is making him ill."

[Mano]: "Well, I actually want a tree. I like to climb them. Don't get much time to do it in the city don'tcha know."

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Well, there are the apple and orange trees, like I said."

[Nari]: "Everything sounds okay, but how are you going to approach Terrah about this?"

[Psyche]: "The best idea is to first ask her if she has seen any kind of herb like that in her mother's kitchen."

[Nari]: "Would she know the name of it?"

[Psyche]: "No, but I can describe it to her. It is a red herb, not hard to miss at all."

[Nari]: "Okay.  We doing this soon?"

[Mano]: "Nothing else? I don't suppose they're very tall."

[JadedDM]: Terrah shrugs apologetically.  "It's hard to get anything to grow around here, trees included."

[Mano]: "How come?"

[Psyche]: "I wanted to tell you two before I went to find Terrah, just so you knew." She glances around. "We better get this done as soon as possible." She then turns from the group and moves towards the front of the house to find Terrah.

[Nari]: "I'll go check on Meria, see how she is feeling."

[Psyche]: "Thank you, Nari," she calls out to her on her way.

Nari heads on over to the barn, to 'check on Meria.'

[JadedDM]: Nari circles the house and heads to the barn.  After opening the doors and entering, she encounters Meria.  "Did you say something?" she asks the warrioress.

[Nari]: "Just seeing how you are feeling Meria" she smiles slightly.

Psyche glances around as she moves to the front of the house. "Terrah?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Fertile land is hard to come by.  I'm not really sure why, but Pa always said there were only a few spots of fertile land left in Renosia, and the Overlord or the other warlords have seized them all."  She turns when Psyche addresses her.

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "Oh...I thought I heard a voice."  She looks around.  "Must have been the wind."

[Nari]: "Not hearing things too, I hope."  Nari winks, smiling widely before recalling abruptly the bruises on her face. 

Psyche smiles faintly as she walks up to the girl. "Um, I have a question for you. Have you ever seen a red herb in your mother's kitchen by any chance?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Red herb?  Uh...well, I was just telling Mano that there really aren't any herbs around here.  It's hard to grow anything in this area."

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "I hope not.  I don't want to be going crazy, too," she said with a slight chuckle.

[Mano]: "Right." He scratches his head. "Not much a farmer myself. Don't know anything about this here farming business. Isn't one patch of ground the same as the next?"

[Nari]: "Neither do I.  Crazy is a little too extreme for us."  Nari looks over Meria.  "But seriously how are you feeling?"

[Psyche]: "It doesn't have to be grown here." She shrugs slightly. "I think I know what is making your father ill and while I don't want to blame anyone, I just want to know if perhaps the certain herb I'm looking for might be in your kitchen. I was wondering if perhaps you could go check for me, as it would be...rude for me to just start looking around your kitchen."

[JadedDM]: Terrah slightly turns back to Mano.  "No, actually.  The quality of land can differ from place to place.  I heard that in other nations, there is lots of fertile land in Gontoria...but of course, they horde it all to themselves," she adds.  She then addresses Psyche.  "You think a red herb in the kitchen is making Pa act funny?"

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "I'm fine...I mean, I'm actually very sick, if any of the Limani’s ask," she says with a wink.

[Mano]: "How does one go about hordin' land? I mean, it's not like they can give it here."

Psyche nods slightly to Terrah. "It is quite possible." She tilts her head. "Would you be willing to check for me, please?"

Nari nods. "Of course, very sick."  Nari gives a very motherly look to Meria.  "I just wanted to check up on you after our first mission and all.  Because you do know that if you need to talk to me, you can anytime?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Uh...all right, I guess.  I'll go check."  She heads back inside.

[JadedDM]: Meria's frown slowly fades and she nods softly.  "I know."

[Mano]: "What's this about a red herb anyway?"

[JadedDM]: At around that time, Nari hears a creak up in the catwalk.

Nari smiles but looks to the catwalk.

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "I just hope everything goes smoothly.  I heard what happened on Wedge's first mission."

Psyche says softly. "It is called Devil's Eye. It is causing Faxon to see things. Orcs use it to see visions, in a sense, in spiritual ceremonies and the like."

[Nari]: "Yeah, that mission wasn't much fun, but you are doing good, I hope you know that."  Nari smiles to Meria before moving to the catwalk.   

[JadedDM]: Nari can only hear dead silence from the catwalk now.  She can't really see anything from her vantage point on the ground.

[Mano]: "Well... Bugger. Where do they get it then?"

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "Thanks."

[Psyche]: "I'm not sure how someone in this family got it."

[Nari]: "You're welcome, although it is the truth."  Nari keeps her eyes on the catwalk and calls up to it.  "Hello?" 

[JadedDM]: Terrah returns a few moments later and shakes her head.  "I couldn't find anything like you described."

[Mano]: "I mean the orcs."

[JadedDM]: Meria stands, wondering who Nari is speaking to.  No answer comes.

Nari hums and shrugs.  She looks around the rest of the barn.

[Psyche]: "I would assume the orcs know how to grow it." She shrugs, glancing over to Terrah. "Huh. Well, thank you anyway." she glances at Mano, and then moves off towards the barn, thinking to herself.

[JadedDM]: Terrah watches as Psyche departs.  "I wonder if that means she has a lead."

Mano shrugs. "Well, it does. Do you follow what your mater does daily?"

[JadedDM]: Nari does not see anything out of the ordinary on the ground floor.

[JadedDM]: Terrah shakes her head.  "Neci is the one who helps Ma in the kitchen most.  I tend to the few animals."

[JadedDM]: Psyche enters the barn to find Nari and Meria all ready there.

Nari was just looking around, not necessarily look for things that are unusual.  Nari turns to Psyche as she enters.

Psyche lifts her head to look at Nari and Meria and shakes her head. "It wasn't in there." She frowns. "It has to be somewhere."

[Mano]: "Well, I mean, she take walks then or anything? Ya kin?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "We aren't really allowed to leave the farm.  Pa says its too dangerous."

[Nari]: "Perhaps it isn't being hidden outside the kitchen?  Or perhaps Faxon is taking it of his own accord and doesn't realize that it has the effects that it has?"

Psyche shakes her head. "No...no, I don't think Faxon would do that to himself." She glances around the barn for a moment. "I don't want to go search the house, but maybe it is being grown somewhere around here." she glances at Meria. "You feeling okay?"

[Mano]: "Well, how long has your Pa been having these nightmares?"

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "I'm all right.  I hope.  I thought I heard whispering earlier, and was worried I was going crazy, too."

Nari frowns slightly at such confidence.  "Wouldn't Terrah have said something if it were being grown around here?  Kids on a farm have all the time in the world to explore their land.  I think she would have mentioned something."

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "About...a month, I think."

[Psyche]: "Kids wouldn't actually know what kind of plant it is. To them, it could be just some wild thing being grown." She glances at Meria. "Whispering? Where about?"

[Mano]: "Right, when did this guy who wanted to buy your farm visit again?"

[Nari]: "But you told Terrah what it looked like right?"

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "I don't know...I guess it was just the wind coming through the window up there."

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Like I told you last night...a couple of months ago.  Back when the harvest was just starting."

[Psyche]: "Of course I did. It probably isn't being grown here. She said they don't really grow herbs and things around here anyway, but people could try to hide it." She shrugs, just grasping for ideas, then looks towards the window.  Tilting her head slightly, she moves up to the catwalk to take a look out the window.

[Mano]: "Doesn't make sense to me, ma'am. Logic demands that if she can't get it on the farm, she got it from elsewhere. Any other visitors come by?"

[JadedDM]: As soon as Psyche is on the catwalk, a crow (that had apparently been standing on the catwalk, but was too small to see from down below) leaps at her, flying around her, then out the window, cawing madly.

[JadedDM]: Terrah blinks, confused.  "Huh?  Who got what?"

Nari stifles a laugh, "That's who I said hello to."  She says to Meria.

Psyche jumps slightly, glancing around the catwalk that could seem out of the ordinary.

[Mano]: "Nevermind. Any other visitors come by recently?"

[JadedDM]: Indeed, she does notice a few things out of the ordinary.  For one, there are muddy footprints all over the place.  The ratty blanket is balled up in a corner and has a few pieces of small debris near it--looks like crumbs.

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Just you folks."

[Mano]: "Eh, I wonder if that crow flies it in." He chuckles.

[Psyche]: "There was...someone up here." She frowns and walks over to the blanket and picks it up curiously.

[JadedDM]: Terrah turns to the barn where Mano is looking and sees the crow fly out of the barn window.  "Oh...that.  I wish it would go away.  It's like a bad omen, you know?"

Nari moves up to the catwalk to look with Psyche.

[JadedDM]: The blanket is ratty and stained, and under it are what appear to be bread crumbs.

[Mano]: "I get ya. Why does it come?"

[Psyche]: "Someone has been staying here." She glances at Nari. "There are bread crumbs and that crow was...kind of protective of this blanket wasn't it?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah looks back to Mano, frowning.  "I'd guess he was here to eat the crops.  Pa's scarecrow never does help.  Although it's winter now, so pickings are slim.  I guess it has nowhere else to go."

[Nari]: "Who would stay up here? And why wouldn't the family know?"

[Mano]: "Scarecrow? I never seen one o' them. How about showin' me?"

[Psyche]: "I don't know." She moves over towards the window to have a look out, actually looking for the crow, which means she has to look towards the roof.

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Okay.  This way."  She starts walking toward the field.  "I hope it doesn't storm again," she says, eyeing the grey clouds above.

[JadedDM]: Psyche notes the crow is heading toward the fields.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel and Draven enter the barn just then.

Nari looks down to Kestrel and Draven.

Psyche quickly moves towards the ladder to get down. "Kestrel, Draven, Nari, follow me." She says and then quickly walks out of the barn and towards the field where she last saw the crow.

Mano follows after her. "As do I. Mud's no god for walkin'."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Psyche, we searched the entire farm and...what?  Oh, all right," she says, interrupted by Psyche.

Nari follows.

[JadedDM]: Mano and Terrah reach the field.  There's a small shed to the south of the fields, which are mostly rather bare looking this time of year.  The crow lands on the shed and just sits there.  A lone figure stands in the middle of the field rather stoically.

[JadedDM]: Meanwhile, Kestrel, Nari, Draven and Psyche all head toward the field, too.  It's not a long walk, and in their haste, they catch up with Terrah and Mano.

Psyche takes a deep breath as she catches up to Terrah and Mano, and then glances around, taking note of the crow on the shed.  She motions everyone to follow her as she moves to the shed.

Nari looks around the entire walk and looks to Terrah and Mano as they meet up.

[JadedDM]: Terrah points out the lone figure.  "There he is."  As she and Mano get closer to it, he can see the figure is tied to a stake and made of straw.

[Nari]: "Want to give us any details Psyche?"  Nari asks as she follows after her.

[JadedDM]: Inside the shed are a few farming implements, including hoes, shovels, and what looks to be a very rusty yoke.

Mano goes along reluctantly.

[Psyche]: "I'm not e-exactly sure I'm right, but that crow has something to do with all of this." She frowns. "There is nothing in here though!" She seems to be a bit frustrated, yet does look for the muddy footprints that she saw in the catwalk.

[Mano]: "The crow? Right, well, why?"

[Psyche]: "Meria heard whispering earlier, up near the catwalk. When I got up there, there were fresh footprints and that crow just popped out of no where." She moves out of the shed. "Plus, there were bread crumbs up in the catwalk as well, and that crow was rather protective of that blanket last night if I remember."

[Mano]: "So, uh, did you find the little kid?"

[Psyche]: "What little kid?"

[Mano]: "Sounds to me like a child was playin' about up there. Maybe hidin' from ya."

[Psyche]: "There was no one up there." She walks towards the scarecrow, more just to look it over.

Nari comes out from looking at the shed.  "I feel like we are just grabbing straws here.  But I don't know what else we can do."

[JadedDM]: Suddenly, you all hear a very shrill and blood-freezing scream from the house.

Mano sprints off towards the house on reflex.

Psyche jumps again, glancing at the others before running for the house.

[JadedDM]: Terrah whirls toward the house.  "Neci!" she cries and dashes toward the house.

Nari moves as quickly as possible avoiding pain towards the house.

[JadedDM]: The entire party rushes toward the house as quickly as they can.  As they approach, the front door swings open and Neci runs out, screaming again.  She trips and falls into a roll, landing on her back.  Faxon then emerges from the house slowly, holding a hand-axe.

Nari draws her sword, mostly instinctively. "Faxon!  What are you doing?"

Psyche runs for the little girl that just fell. "What is going on?!"

[JadedDM]: Faxon slowly approaches the girl, slowly muttering to himself.  "I have to...it's the only way...they demand blood..."

Nari moves to get in front of Neci.

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Pa!  What are you doing?!"  She seems completely rooted in place with shock.

[Nari]: "Faxon, no one demands blood of anyone."  She says firmly to him.

[JadedDM]: Psyche helps Neci up and Nari steps in between her and Faxon.  The man stops at this and looks at Nari blankly.  "They promise they'll stop talkin'...if I water them with blood.  Their noise fills my head!" he screams the last part out in desperation.

Mano pulls out his lasso, going to use that.

[Nari]: "We may know what is making you hear these voices.  And they are not real.  Put the axe down Faxon."

Psyche looks at Nari for a moment, and then turns to Neci, placing her hands on her shoulders. "Were you up in the catwalk today?"

[JadedDM]: Neci doesn't answer, as her father just turned into a homicidal maniac who tried to chop her up, and she's just a little preoccupied with that at the moment.

[JadedDM]: Faxon puts his free hand to his head and groans.  "Make them stop...stop...," he pauses, as if listening.  "They are all after me?  They are trying to kill me?" he asks some unseen presence.

[Psyche]: "Nari, someone, knock him out."

Mano maneuvers and throws his lasso.

Nari glances at Mano, but addresses Faxon.  "No one is trying to kill you Faxon.  We want to help you."

(To JadedDM) DICE for Mano: (1d20) :  1d20=8  = [ 8 ]

Mano manages to barely rope Faxon. He pulls and tightens the rope about the man.

[JadedDM]: Having his arms pinned to his side, he jerks away and nearly loses his balance and drops his hand axe.

Mano jerks the man off of his feet.

Psyche turns back to Neci as Faxon is now taken care of. "What happened?"

[JadedDM]: The girl just bursts into tears.

[JadedDM]: Terrah manages to remember how to move her legs, and approaches her father.  Soon after, the other family members appear on the scene, wondering what all the ruckus is about.

Psyche sighs, pulling the little girl closer to comfort her. "Listen, your father is going to be okay, but I need to know what happened.  Can you tell me that, please?"

Nari keeps an eye on Faxon, while listening to Psyche and Neci.

[JadedDM]: Faxon slumps down, as if exhausted or just stunned.

Mano moves forward to tie Faxon up.

Nari puts her sword away, looking to all the family members.

[JadedDM]: Neci wipes at her eyes and speaks, while interrupted by a number of sobs and squeals.  "I was jus'....I was jus'...doin' my chores...and Pa. ..Pa he came in with his axe...and he said....he said I was bad and had to water the crops....with my b-b-blood!"

[JadedDM]: Korbin has his fauchard and is looking at the party suspiciously.  Karise looks shocked and almost embarrassed; as if afraid somebody important may walk by and notice the spectacle.  Crispin just stares, wide-eyed.  And the slave, Mauro, just seems confused.

Psyche nods slightly. "It is okay." She glances at the others for a moment. "Did that man that comes here wanting to buy your home...maybe give you anything when he was here last?"

Mano rubs his chin. "I wonder if blood would really work..."

[JadedDM]: Terrah stands after checking on her father.  "Psyche, what is going on?"

[Psyche]: "Your father has been given an herb, called Devil's Eye. Kestrel and I found it while going through...well that bucket out in the back. That is what is making him like this."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel examines him.  "He seems fine...I'm not detecting any symptoms, but it's hard to tell."

[JadedDM]: The crow from before flies over to the house and perches itself on the roof.

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "Given by whom?"

Nari looks up to the crow, frowning, feeling as if they are really not looking so good right now.

[JadedDM]: The crow just looks back at Nari.

[Psyche]: "I don't know." She lets Neci go so that she can run to her mother as she looks up to the crow. "That is what I'm trying to figure out."

[JadedDM]: Terrah tosses the hand axe away and unties her father.  "Korbin, help me take him to bed."  Her brother obeys, and the two help drag him inside.

Mano gathers up his rope and puts it back where it belongs. "I am stumped."

[JadedDM]: The rest of the family moves back into the house, leaving the party alone.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Let us consider our clues."

Psyche sighs, rubbing her head. "Okay...other than the herb, I did see muddy footprints in the catwalk, that crow, and some bread crumbs."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Muddy footprints?"

Nari looks up to the crow when Psyche mentions it.

[JadedDM]: Draven, who usually solves her problems by killing things, gets frustrated and grunts as she crosses her arms.

[JadedDM]: The crow does nothing, other than to cock its head at the party.

[Psyche]: "Yes, muddy footprints. Though, those could have come from anywhere."

[Mano]: "No herbs around."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Were they small, like a child's?  Or large, like a man's?"

[Psyche]: "Man size."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "We can rule out the children, then, as I'm guessing that was your first idea, as you tried to question Neci."

[Psyche]: "Mano gave me that idea." she sighs. "Korbin, or their slave maybe. I know it isn't the mother."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "How do you know that?"

Nari returns her attention to the party and the problem at hand.

[Mano]: "Can't you magic a way to find it out, eh?"

[Psyche]: "I don't know that. I'm just guessing. They are really the only two left that could have done it." She sighs. "The rest of the family has been rather...accepting of us, but Korbin has been a bit suspicious. As for the slave...we really don't know anything about him." Sshe glances at Mano. "No, I can't."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "So you think the person responsible is the one who left the footprints?"

[Psyche]: "Yes."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel ponders this.  "But...why?  Why would they be in the barn, up on the catwalk?  For what reason?"

[Psyche]: "Maybe...something is hidden up there?"

[Mano]: "I still think the crow is flying the stuff in." He shakes his head, and chuckles.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "But wouldn't we have seen it?  There's not much up there.  And Mano spent the night there.  Surely he would have noticed something like that?"

[Psyche]: "I'm out of ideas then." she shrugs. "Unless, somehow, the person who is doing that has turned into a crow."

[Nari]: "Someone turning into a crow sounds about right for what our luck gives us.  Think if we catch it we could find out?"

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "Somehow, I don't think any of these inbred hicks are powerful wizards."

[Nari]: "Draven, be nice."

[Psyche]: "I agree with Draven actually. I doubt they are powerful wizards."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "And it takes powerful magic to change shape, right?  So it stands to reason that theory is out."

[Psyche]: "Well, now wait...it is possible that something is hidden in the catwalk...it is just hidden behind something, like a secret door or something."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "For what purpose, though?  Why would one of the Limani's need a secret door in their barn?"

[Mano]: "I could give it a check."

[Psyche]: "Um...to hide stuff, maybe money...anything."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "If we have no other leads...we may as well."

Psyche mutters something then walks towards the barn.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel and Draven go with her.

Mano follows after.

Nari glances up to the crow before going to the barn with everyone else.

[JadedDM]: The party enters the barn, where Meria is still waiting.  "Is everything okay?  I thought I heard a scream."

Mano walks over and pats her on the back. "Everythin' is just fine, y'see. Pa went crazy."

Psyche walks up to the catwalk and starts looking around for some kind of secret door or anything like that.

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "Even crazier than before?"

[Nari]: "Yes.  Tried to take an axe to Neci."

[JadedDM]: Meria gasps.  "Goodness!  Is she okay?"

[Mano]: "S'alright. I lassoed 'im."

[JadedDM]: Psyche reaches the top of the catwalk and looks around for anything she didn't notice before.  Something catches her eye, though, near the staircase.  The sun is reflecting off what appears to be a metallic powder on the catwalk.

[Nari]: "She's a bit spooked, as could be expected, but I think she will be fine."

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "How horrible...I'm glad she's all right, though."

Psyche blinks, moving to inspect the powder.

[JadedDM]: The powder is silvery, and it reminds her of the silver powder she uses as a component.

Nari looks up to Psyche, "Find anything?"

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "Hell, I just wanted shelter from the rain.  This whole thing keeps getting more eerie."

Mano moves over to Psyche.

[Psyche]: "Someone did cast a spell."

[JadedDM]: Mano climbs up to the catwalk, as well.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel looks up.  "A spell?  You're certain?  But the Limanis'...none of them could be spellcasters, right?"

[Nari]: "Maybe the crow."

[Psyche]: "Well, it is possible they could be." She shrugs. "We just don't really know enough about them to really say for certain."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "I don't know...if one of them was powerful enough to drive people crazy and turn into animals, you'd think they'd leave this pit of cow pies."

[Psyche]: "It is the herb making Faxon crazy...and that crow...it is possible that crow is a familiar."

[Mano]: "This wasn't here when we came here the first time though, right?"

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "Familiar?"

[Nari]: "Or maybe not even part of the family?"

[Psyche]: "Some mages keep animal companions. These animal companions could be anything really, but they help the mage do things, see better...hear things even.  The mage is connected to the animal, and if the animal dies it is even possible the mage could die too."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "Hell, why didn't you say so before?  Let's go kill the crow then."

[Mano]: "Kill the crow and see what happens, eh? Catchin' it might do fine."

[Psyche]: "Killing the crow isn't going to solve anything. It is only possible that the mage could die, but that doesn't mean it will happen.  Mano has a point, we should probably catch it."

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "But the crow hasn't really done anything, has it?"

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "Catch it?  And then what?  Interrogate it?"

[Psyche]: "No, but if we keep it away from his master long enough, he will probably come looking for it."

[Nari]: "How do we catch it?"

[Mano]: "Drop the blanket on it."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Or if Psyche has some kind of stunning spell."

[Psyche]: "I don't have a spell like that." She shakes her head. "The mage has to be in the farm."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "So then, it would have to be a Limani," she says with uncertainty.

[Psyche]: "No, it wouldn't have to be a Limani. The mage is hidden and the crow is probably acting like a spy. He can give the crow commands, which would make sense that the crow is putting something in Faxon's food, so...where could he hide?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Hidden how?  Draven and I searched all over the farm for that herb, and found nothing--or nobody.  This farm isn't very large, and the Limani's are the only ones we have seen."

[Psyche]: "Isn't there another shed near here, not just the one in the crops. Did you check in there?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel nods.  "I did.  I checked all the sheds."

[Nari]: "Maybe the mother?" She asks quite uncertain.

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "What about that rat, Usagi?  He had a way of making himself disappear, didn't he?  Not so hard to do if he could do it."

[Psyche]: "That's right!" she says to Draven. "It is quite possible the mage saw you coming, so turned himself invisible." she climbs down the ladder.

[JadedDM]: Meria:  "Invisible?  So...he could spy on people like that?"

[Psyche]: "Very easily...matter of fact, he could be spying on us right now."

[JadedDM]: Draven looks around with paranoia, grabbing her axe.

Nari naturally looks around, not liking the idea much.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "If that is so...he can be exposed, right?"

Mano scratches his head. "You spell-chuckers, anything you can't do? Someone should really put a law or something on you." He chuckles.

Psyche nods to Kestrel and climbs back up on to the catwalk. "Mano, get back down the ladder, please?"

Mano goes on down the ladder.

[Psyche]: "Okay…” She moves towards the footprints, glancing around for a moment before she begins chanting the words to her spell.

[JadedDM]: Psyche completes her spell, and the entire upper area of the barn is filled with a sparkling powder.  This powder then rains downward, covering everyone like confetti.  Oddly enough, the dust also seems to land on an extra figure near the door, although you see nobody there.  The dust, however, covers the person to reveal their presence.

Mano runs towards the figure, for a tackle.

Psyche glances around and smiles faintly. "Nari, Draven, near the door!"

Nari turns and draws her sword and moves to the figure, will try to block the door way.

(To JadedDM) DICE for Mano: (1d20) :  1d20=10  = [ 10 ]

[JadedDM]: Mano throws himself at the figure, but misses and kisses the ground instead.  The figure bursts through the doors and makes a break toward the cattle pin.

Psyche quickly moves down the ladder to run after the figure. "Come on!"

Nari follows after him.

Mano stays where he is on the ground, arms wrapped around his chest. "Bad... Idea..."

[JadedDM]: The figure, even more visible in the sun light, sprints to the small fence, leaps over it, and into the cattle pin.

[JadedDM]: Draven and Kestrel run after him, but are slowed down a bit by their heavy equipment.

[JadedDM]: Meria follows at a slower pace, her crossbow ready.

Psyche runs after the figure as fast as she can, knowing she can't actually leap over the cattle pin, but she knows she can at least get in.

Nari goes into the pin after the mysterious man.

[JadedDM]: (The fence is only about two feet high or so.  It's just to keep the cows from roaming.)

Psyche does after all leap over the pin, considering it isn't very high.

Mano gets up slowly and follows.

[JadedDM]: Once the man is about in the center of the pin, he skids to a stop, turns to face the party, and speaks a word.  His visage forms before them, revealing a handsome man in green robes.  He has brown hair that is mussed up, but you get the impression it's usually combed better.  He has a light vandyke mustache, as well.

Psyche slides to a stop upon seeing the man stop. "You must want this land pretty badly to poison Faxon like that!"

Nari comes to a stop a respectable distance from him, with her sword ready.  She is probably looking pretty vicious with all them cuts and bruises on her face and what not.

[JadedDM]: Man:  "You're all very persistent.  I don't see why you had to get involved.  It's no affair of yours," he says, holding a staff in hand.

[Nari]: "Some things should be done, besides it is the least we could do for a dry night."

[Psyche]: "They were kind to us; it was the least we could do."

[JadedDM]: Nero smirks.  "All right, you got me.  Yes, I've been trying to drive the farmer insane.  Using a combination of an herb that I had their slave slip into his food, as well as my illusionary spells, I had hoped to have him kill his family and then himself, and then I could have this land.  But I'm reasonable...since you caught me, I'll split the spoils with you.  60/40."

Nari chuckles, as laughter would hurt.  "You don't get it do you?"

[Psyche]: "I don't want the spoils. I want that herb you've been giving him."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "What spoils?  You're as mad as the farmer.  This plot of land is worthless."

[JadedDM]: Nero:  "Not quite.  That idiot farmer has no idea what he has here.  But I do.  Using a special potion of mine that lets me find treasure, I learned that there is an old, abandoned gem mine under this farm.  The fools have no idea of its existence."

[Nari]: "They will soon I am sure." Nari smiles happily.

[Psyche]: "I'll be sure to tell them that."

[JadedDM]: Nero's smirk turns into a scowl.  "Idiots!  What kind of morons are you to turn down such riches?"

[Nari]: "Ones who aren't looking for riches, maybe?" Nari shrugs slightly.

Mano arrives on the scene, unfashionably late. "Riches? What's this about riches?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "We won't let you hurt these people anymore.  Unless you intend to try and kill us...but that won't be easy."

Psyche glances at Mano for a moment, and then looks back to Nero.

[JadedDM]: Nero:  "Kill you?  I wouldn't...I really don't like getting blood on my hands.  It's really not my style."

[Psyche]: "Leave these people alone."

[Mano]: "Well, if there are riches to be had, maybe we should talk about things."

Psyche glances at Mano. "Those riches belong to the family on this farm. Not to us, and certainly not to him." She motions over to Nero.

[JadedDM]: Nero:  "So I'll just summon something to do it for me!"  He shouts out something and between him and the party, seven orcs (scale mail and halberds) appear from thin air, ready for combat.

[Mano]: "So they were rich all along?"  He backs the hell up, taking out his lasso.

[Psyche]: "Um, not right now, Mano." She clears her throat, blinking at the orcs in surprise, yet begins chanting away.

[JadedDM]: The orcs rush at you and Nero begins chanting.  Actions?

Nari will defend the rest, but for how long?

Mano will try to circle around and lasso Nero. If an orc gets in his way, will lasso that.

[JadedDM]: The orcs are effectively blocking the way to Nero.

[Mano]: (Surrounding him 360? 180 half circle?)

[JadedDM]: They are forming a line that stands between the party and Nero.

[Mano]: (He'll hit the one on the far right end, with the lasso.)

+=+ New Initiative: Round 1 +=+

+=+ Draven (1d10+7) = 9 +=+

[JadedDM]: Draven charges the first orc, and slashes it with Soul Biter.  The Orc just barely survives the blow, evading death by a hair's width.

+=+ Psyche (1d10+1) = 10 +=+

(To JadedDM) DICE for JadedDM: (1d20) :  1d20=13  = [ 13 ]

Psyche chants the words to her spell, pulling out some glowing looking moss as she does so and suddenly claps her hands together which causes a bright light to flash near Nero's eyes.

[JadedDM]: The 'flash' misses Nero and has no effect.

+=+ Nero (1d10+1) = 10 +=+

[JadedDM]: Nero tosses some rose petals into the air and completes his spell.  Mano, Kestrel, and Meria all fall into a deep, peaceful slumber.  The rest of you are not at all affected.

+=+ Mano (1d10+10) = 13 +=+

Mano falls asleep.

+=+ Orcs (1d10+9) = 14 +=+

[JadedDM]: The first three orcs go for Draven, however, only one scores a hit.  The next two go for Nari, but neither can get through her defenses.  The last one lunges at Psyche, but is a bit overzealous and misses widely.

+=+ Nari'Najya (1d10+8) = 17 +=+

Nari, in a fluid motion from her parry from one of the orcs, brings her sword in a swing that slashes through his armor and through many vital organs. The orc falls to the ground in grunts of pain and remains motionless upon contact with the ground.

[JadedDM]: Three orcs on Draven, one on Nari, and one on Psyche.  The last one stands in front of Nero, protecting it.  Mano, Kestrel, and Meria continue to sleep.  Actions for Round 2?

Psyche begins chanting the words to another spell.

Nari will continue with removing the orcs.

+=+ New Initiative: Round 2 +=+

+=+ Nero (1d10+1) = 3 +=+

[JadedDM]: Nero does nothing but watch eagerly.

+=+ Psyche (1d10+1) = 6 +=+

Psyche chants the words to her spell and within moments what seems like a blue shield like thing appears in front of her, only to disappear moments later as if it was never there.

+=+ Orcs (1d10+9) = 11 +=+

[JadedDM]: Draven drives the three orcs on her back, not allowing them to even get an attack in.  The one on Nari thrusts at her, but she side-steps the blow.  The last one strikes at Psyche, but is surprised when his halberd hits a shield that is not there.

+=+ Draven (1d10+7) = 12 +=+

[JadedDM]: With a swing from her enchanted battle axe, Draven removes an orc's head from its shoulder.  It drops dead, and then vanishes in a mist.

+=+ Nari'Najya (1d10+8) = 15 +=+

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (1d20) :  1d20=14  = [ 14 ]

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (2d4+2) : 2d4=1,3  = [ 6 ]

Nari taking full advantage of her side step and makes her own thrust and makes a solid contact with the orcs heart.  She thrusts her sword back out looking where to go next.

[Psyche]: "Nari...a little help please?!" she calls out to her.

[JadedDM]: Draven swings again, this time cutting open an orc's gut, spilling out its insides.  It, too, vanishes in a mist.

[JadedDM]: (Nari's second strike.  Nari is no longer under attack, so she can switch targets and help an ally or try and wake up one of the sleeping ones.)

Nari goes over to help Psyche.

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (1d20) :  1d20=19  = [ 19 ]

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (2d4+2) : 2d4=3,4  = [ 9 ]

Nari rushes over to Psyche and taking the poor orc slightly off guard, cuts off his head.  It flops to the ground and the body falls after it.  Nari once again looks around to see where next.

[JadedDM]: Nero, seeing he is losing, begins chanting again.  Draven has one orc on her.  The last orc is guarding Nero.  The others have all vanished.  Kestrel, Mano, and Meria are all still asleep.  Actions for Round 3?

Nari will go for the orc in front of Nero.

[Psyche]: "Nari, the one..." She shakes her head. "Nevermind." She starts chanting the words to another spell.

[Nari]: "What?"

+=+ New Initiative: Round 3+=+

+=+ Orcs (1d10+9) = 10 +=+

[JadedDM]: The Orc strikes at Draven, but she deflects the attack easily.  The other one engages with Nari when she gets close, but she successfully blocks.

+=+ Psyche (1d10+1) = 11 +=+

Psyche pulls out some more of that glowing moss as she chants, claps her hands together and a bright light flashes in front of the orc's eyes, effectively blinding him.

+=+ Nero (1d10+3) = 13 +=+

[JadedDM]: Nero pulls out a bit of guano and sulfur, and rubs them together as he chants loudly.  Pure mana energy is drawn into his hands.  He then points at the party and simply states, "25 feet."  (Pause for suspense.)

[Mano]: (Fireball)

[JadedDM]: (At this point, I need everyone but Nari'Najya to make a save vs. spell, please.)

(To JadedDM) DICE for Mano: (1d20) :  1d20=9  = [ 9 ]

(To JadedDM) DICE for Psyche: (1d20) :  1d20=12  = [ 12 ]

[JadedDM]: A massive ball of flame with a 20 foot diameter erupts with a loud blast.  Everyone in the area takes 20 points of damage, except for Psyche and Kestrel, who take 10.

+=+ Nari'Najya (1d10+8) = 14 +=+

Mano becomes charcoal.

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (1d20) :  1d20=7  = [ 7 ]

Psyche cries out in pain falling down to her knees.

Nari is a little freaked out by the fireball and swings and misses the orc.  She grumbles in annoyance.

+=+ Draven (1d10+7) = 15 +=+

[JadedDM]: Draven is down, burnt badly.  The orc she was fighting vanished.

Psyche cries out not from the pain, but more for seeing what had happen around her. "No!"

[JadedDM]: Nero readies his staff to take out any survivors.  The last orc is engaged with Nari'Najya.  Kestrel, hurt badly, wakes up in pain.  Actions for Round 4?

Nari will continue to fight, unless called back.

Psyche moves forward quickly, while Nari is taking on the orc, which means it is distracted, so she tries to get to Nero to touch him and then begins chanting the words to her spell.

+=+ New Initiative: Round 4 +=+

+=+ Nero (1d10+1) = 6 +=+

[JadedDM]: Nero sees Psyche coming, and swings his staff at her.  She manages to duck just before he would have struck her jaw.

+=+ Kestrel (1d10) = 7 +=+

 [JadedDM]: Kestrel runs to the nearest person, Draven, and tends to her.

+=+ Psyche (1d10+3) = 9 +=+

(To JadedDM) DICE for Psyche: (1d20) :  1d20=5  = [ 5 ]

Psyche misses when trying to grab the man in her haste.

+=+ Nari'Najya (1d10+8) = 13 +=+

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (1d20) :  1d20=10  = [ 10 ]

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (2d4+2) : 2d4=4,4  = [ 10 ]

Nari finally takes out the last orc with a simple thrust to his gut; it lets a cry of pain as the sword pierces through his armor and body. She has to kick it off her sword.  She turns her attention to Nero.

[JadedDM]: Nero:  "Impossible!  I would have gotten away with it, too!"  He takes a step back from Nari.

[JadedDM]: (Nari's second strike.)

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (1d20) :  1d20=17  = [ 17 ]

(To JadedDM) DICE for Nari: (2d4+2) : 2d4=2,3  = [ 7 ]

Nari swing her sword and cuts up his unprotected side.  He remains standing however. "Yield!  You have no where to go."

[JadedDM]: Nero cries out.  "I yield!  I yield!  Spare me!"  He drops to his knees.

Nari moves over to him, with her blade hovering near his throat. "Psyche?"  She does not remove her eyes from him.

Psyche walks up to the man, and despite the fact that he is yielding, she touches him anyway.

(To JadedDM) DICE for Psyche: (2d6) : 2d6=4,5  = [ 9 ]

[JadedDM]: The man cries out in terror as Psyche drains what little life he has left, then slumps to the ground, a husk.  A dead husk.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel looks at Psyche in shock.  "He surrendered, Psyche!"

Psyche touches the man, in anger, narrowing her eyes as the life she drains from the man flows into her, and then she kind of just drops to her knees.

Nari immediately returns her sword. And looks to who is fallen and runs to Meria.

[JadedDM]: Nari can barely recognize Meria anymore.  She's been completely fried.

[Nari]: (oh...heh)

Nari tears come to her eyes as she looks around to everyone else.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel checks on Mano, but shakes her head after examining him.

Psyche shakes her head sadly, looking down at the ground. "I hate this place." She mutters.

Nari wipes her tears away and walks towards the house.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel returns to Psyche, somber looking.  "Mano is dead.  So is Meria."

[Psyche]: "I...I know." She tries to fight back her tears yet it doesn't work very well. "Uh..and...uh, Draven?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "She lives.  Just barely.  The others...there was nothing I could do."

Psyche looks down at the man she just killed. "Head back to the house." She uses what might be left of her sleeve to wipe away some tears.

[JadedDM]: Terrah and Korbin arrive at the scene then, having heard the massive explosion.  They are both armed, but they stop short at the sight of the carnage.

Nari looks at Terrah and Korbin.

Psyche hugs herself as Korbin and Terrah show up. "Uh...this man...he uh...he was having your slave poison your father."

[JadedDM]: Korbin looks as Psyche.  "Nero...?  He was using Mauro?"

[JadedDM]: Terrah looks very pale.  She slowly approaches Mano.

Psyche nods to Korbin. "He...Nero has been apparently staying here...spying on you."

Nari looks at Korbin, "You knew this man?"  She looks at remains of Nero.

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "Yes.  He was the one who wished to buy our land."

Nari nods. "And for good reasons apparently."  She talks very somberly.

[Psyche]: "Oh...right...uh, the reason why he wanted your land...there is a gem mine under your farm."

[JadedDM]: Terrah kneels by Mano's corpse.  Korbin blinks at Psyche.  "A gem mine?"

[Psyche]: "That is what he said."

Nari walks over to Draven, to see how she is.

[JadedDM]: Draven is burned up badly, but she still breathes.  Kestrel has patched up some of her more severe wounds.

[JadedDM]: Korbin lowers his weapon and looks around.  "I guess we owe ya'll a debt then."

[JadedDM]: Slowly, as if afraid, Terrah reaches out to torch Mano's charred face.

Psyche shakes her head to Korbin. "No, you don't." she sniffles a bit. "We just...we need to use your barn tonight, if that is okay."

[Nari]: "We should get Draven inside.  And take care of the others."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel stands up.  "I'll see that the three get a proper burial."  There's a distinct lack of emotion in her voice.

[Nari]: "Do you want help Kestrel?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "No.  You tend to Draven, please."

[JadedDM]: Terrah stands, says something incomprehensible, then runs off back to the farmhouse.

Nari nods.  "Korbin, would you help me move Draven to the barn?"  She turns to Korbin, definitely not her normal self.

[JadedDM]: Korbin nods, and helps Nari carry the mercenary woman back to the barn safely.  Kestrel goes into a nearby shed and returns with a shovel.

Psyche looks over to Kestrel for a moment, not really too sure what she should do.

[Nari]: With Korbin's help she gets Draven to the barn and makes sure she is a comfortable as possible.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel ignores the sorceress and just digs.

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "Ya'll lost some of your men in that fight."  It is not a question, but a statement toward Nari.

Psyche walks to the barn quietly.

[Nari]: "Indeed.  It is almost a certainty with us it seems."  Nari sits next to Draven, and unconsciously finding her new necklace.

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "They died protecting our land...kind of noble."

[Nari]: "They died as they should have.  It is noble.  It is what we strive for.  It is what we stand for."  She smiles slightly. "This is our cause Korbin.  It has its price, but it is worth it."

[JadedDM]: Korbin speaks bluntly.  "Ya'll are those whatdoyacallem, Rebels, ain't ya?"

Psyche steps into the barn, looking over to Nari and Korbin for a moment. "We are."

Nari simply nods and looks over to Psyche.

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "I thought so.  Ya'll travel with slaves--treat 'em as equals.  Ya help us out, even when ya don't need to.  I had heard about 'em when my Pa and me would visit Janus."

Nari looks at Korbin. "That's us."

[Psyche]: "There are good people in this country; you just have to look for them. We help when we can."

[JadedDM]: Terrah enters then, looking a bit tired.  Her voice cracks a bit when she speaks.  "Mauro's gone.  When he heard the explosion, he took off."  She crossed her arms.  "He was working with Nero the whole time, and we never knew."

Psyche turns to look at Terrah. "Nero probably gave him a reason to work for him, either way, your father should be okay now...I hope."

[JadedDM]: Terrah:  "Crow's dead.  Just...fell off the roof, dead."

Psyche shivers a bit and nods. "His...uh...master..." She shakes her head, deciding not to finish that sentence.

[JadedDM]: Korbin takes his sister by the elbow.  "Look, why don't ya'll get some rest.  If ya'll need anything, just holler."  He nods, and then leads his sister out of the barn.

Nari watches them leave and looks over Draven, smiling ever so slightly and shaking her head slightly.

Psyche climbs up on to the catwalk and curls up in a corner.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel returns then, looking rather dirty.  She also has some bad burns on her, and her clothes are scorched, as well.

Nari looks up to Kestrel as she enters. "You all right Kestrel?  Anything I can do for you?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel shakes her head silently.  She walks to the center of the barn, removes the Eversteaming Bottle from her pack, and sets it on the floor.  She removes the cork, then sits down on the ground.

Nari smiles.  "Wonderful idea."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Psyche."

Psyche really doesn't answer, figuring she knows what is coming next.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel repeats herself.  "Psyche."

Psyche lets out a shuddering sigh. "What, Kestrel?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "The benefits of the steam are less effective at your distance."

Psyche pushes herself up and climbs down from the catwalk to sit within the steam.

[JadedDM]: The night passes in silence.  After awhile, the steam bottle simply ceases.  Morning comes.  (Everyone regains 8 HP.)

[Nari]: Nari wakes up feeling better than she has in awhile.

Psyche wakes up without a word, gathering her things together silently and just waits for everyone near the door, even though her back is to them.

Nari goes over to Draven to see how she is, wondering if she can travel.

[JadedDM]: Draven wakes up slowly, still looking pretty bad.  "Oh, damn...every inch of my skin feels like it's on fire."

Nari smiles.  "Knew you would wake up bitchin.'  Thank you for proving me right."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "I take it we won?  Last thing I remember was fighting an orc...and then....light....heat....that was it."

[Nari]: "We won, but loss two.  Meria and Mano are no longer with us."

[Psyche]: "If you want to call it that," she says softly. "Everyone get ready. We are leaving."

[Nari]: "Can Draven travel?"

[JadedDM]: Draven manages to stand.  "I'm all right.  Just a little shaky."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel touches Draven's shoulder and prays.

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "Uh, that helps a little."  She says, popping her back.

[Nari]: "Is it wise to travel in bad shape?  I know I did.  But I feel that it isn't the best thing to do."  She looks around concerned.

[Psyche]: "We can't really waste anymore time. We have to get to Moonshadow."

Nari nods and then gathers her gear.

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "Without our two guides, gonna be difficult."

Psyche closes her eyes. "We can ask the family before we leave if they know the way."

Nari starts for the house when she has all her stuff ready.

Psyche walks to the house in silent and knocks on the door once there.

[JadedDM]: Korbin answers.  He looks between the four women.  "Sorry...ya'll slept past breakfast."

Nari smiles. "We aren't looking for breakfast."

Psyche shakes her head. "It's okay." She clears her throat. "Do you know the way to Moonshadow?"

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "Well...yeah.  Pa and I have gone there sometimes."

[Psyche]: "We lost..," her voice cracks a bit, "...our guides there. Could you tell us the way?"

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "If you keep straight north from here, you should run right into it."

[Psyche]: "Thank you." She offers a small smile before turning from the door. "I hope things turn out better for all of you."

[JadedDM]: Korbin:  "Ya'll too.  Ya'll are always welcome here at the Limani Farm, whenever you're around."

Psyche nods and starts walking on the road headed north.

Nari looks at Korbin, "Best of luck and maybe we will meet again. And keep practicing." Nari offers a final smile and turns and follows Psyche.

[JadedDM]: And with that, the four women head north, toward Moonshadow.  They travel long and hard, and in silence, until night falls and they make camp.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel prepares a fire while Draven sits down and stretches.

Nari puts her gear down but keeps standing looking out around them.

[Psyche]: "I'll take first watch." She finds a place to sit down, that having been the first thing she had said all through the trip.

Nari now sits down next to the fire.  "I'll take last."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel looks to Psyche.  "Psyche."

[Nari]: After staring at the fire, she closes her eyes and mumbles something under her breath.

Psyche sighs. "Yes, Kestrel?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "He yielded, but you slew him anyway."

[Nari]: "You know...."  Nari starts.  "Our line of work, it is a tough balance.  We have to go to the extreme of those we are opposing if we want to make any progress.  It isn't that we are unjust in this.  It simply has to be that way."

[Nari]: "Psyche did the right thing."

[JadedDM]: Draven pipes in.  "That scum deserved to die anyway."

[Psyche]: "No, I didn't." She says to Nari.

[Nari]: "If you had let him live, do you think he would have left them alone?  He wouldn't have."

[Psyche]: "What I did doesn't make me any better than well...anyone else in this country. I killed him out of anger."

[Nari]: "If you hadn't I would have.  If we are to make any progress in what we are doing we must do things that we may not consider proper.  But ultimately, if we had not killed him, those we were protected who have still been in danger."

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Make progress in what, Nari?  We cannot kill everyone in the nation."

[Psyche]: "It doesn't make it right, Nari. I don't care if it is proper, it wasn't right."

[Nari]: "It is when we start to kill for pleasure and enjoyment than we have gone too far.  We can't bathe those we oppose with love for it will do nothing.  I am not saying we kill everyone we see."

Psyche shakes her head. "That man might have been...scum, but he gave in. There is a chance he might have not done anything if we let him go, but I didn't. I sucked his life out of him and that is not right. "

[Nari]: "We lost two people yesterday.  We were fighting for our lives.  He may have yielded, but in all reality what could we have done with him?  How could we have kept him from harming them again?"

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "Daeval....Amakororo's father, the priest.  I knew him.  He is who inspired me to become a Rebel.  He once said..."He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

[Psyche]: "We can't protect everyone!" she sighs softly. "We tried, that is what would have made the difference. If he came back...then...he came back, but at least then they would be prepared for him."

[Nari]: "Of course it does.  And I do not say we accept the Abyss, but fight it.  But how else do you fight.  There is no other way."

[JadedDM]: Draven:  "You guys are making things too complicated.  Morality does that.  It makes things iffy and blurry, and can cause you to hesitate when a split-second decision is needed.  Kill or be killed.  That's the way of things here."

Psyche shakes her head. "I refuse to become one of them...one of those people who kill just to kill. I just had a taste of it...and I didn't like it. This guilt...on top of not being able to save Mano or Meria...Gods, I don't know how people can do this."

[Nari]: "I do not kill just to kill.  You did not kill just to kill."

[Psyche]: "I killed because of hate and anger, Nari. That is why everyone kills because of hate."

[Nari]: "The hate of having someone attacking me, yes."

[Psyche]: "You might have handled things differently, and no matter how much you tell me I didn't kill to kill, I'm still going to believe I did."

[Nari]: "Fine." She says just plainly and continues to look at the fire.

Psyche sighs softly, glancing at Kestrel for a moment before looking out into the darkness.

[JadedDM]: Kestrel:  "What is done is done, and that cannot be changed.  All one can do is learn, grow, and repent from their sins."

Nari doesn't say anything.  She eats her rations for the day and then lies down.

[JadedDM]: (All right, we'll end it here for now.)

Back to Renosia II