The iron forging business was the center of growth for the Dover area and remained a viable industry until the middle of the 20th century. This industry made Dover a vital center for manufacturing war materials from the Revolutionary War through the Korean War. Along with the Morris Canal and the Lackawanna Railroad, it was responsible for Dover developing into a major commercial and industrial center. Between 1900 and 1960 Dover experienced a period of economic prosperity and was regarded as the center of retail shopping in western Morris and Sussex County.
There is no clear history of the acquisition of the name Dover for the town, but in 1753 Moses Hurd bought the original forge from John Jackson. Moses Hurd was said to have come from Dover, New Hampshire suggesting his influence in naming the area. Oldest written documents indicate use of the name Dover date back to the 1790's. Older documents refer to the area as Old Tye, which perhaps was a reference to Ticonderoga, New York and still other papers indicate the use of Bemen's, which was probably in reference to one of the earlier (1758) owners of the forge, Josiah Beaman.
In 1777, Dover became the Capital of Delaware with the signing of the Declaration of Independence. But it wasn't until 1787, shortly after the signing of the Constitution that Kindred took an interest in the town. The first Ventrue came during this time, looking to capitalize on the industrial and political aspects they saw down the road.
By 1800 Dover was clearly established as an industrial town, its success tied to the iron mines of the area and the production of iron goods. In 1826, while the Morris Canal was being dug, Dover was incorporated as a village and the streets were laid out and named. The main street was named after one of the new (1817) forge owners from New York City, Mr. Joseph Blackwell. The canal was completed and in use by 1831 but was soon outclassed as a transportation mode when the Morris and Essex Railroad was completed in 1848.
In 1869 Dover was incorporated as a town and had a population of 3,300 inhabitants. By 1910 the population reached 9,000 and by 1960 was at 15,000.
The first newspaper was printed in 1869 and was called "The Dover Enterprise", it was a monthly publication.
Dr. Crittendon was the first physician to locate in Dover; the year was 1813. The first post office in Dover was opened in 1820. The railroad came to Dover in 1848, electric lights in 1889, and gas in 1902. A library was established in 1902 and the first trolley went through town in July 1904. By 1903 Dover had its own water supply plant and in 1906 the Baker Theater, one of the finest playhouses in the State, was opened. The public schools had a high school program by 1885 and designated high school building in 1901. A new Dover Shopping Center with double decked parking lot and drive-in theater was opened in 1956.
Dover has been taken only one time in the past two hundred years. It was during the invasion of the 1920's when the Sabbat from the North attacked Wilmington and those from the South attacked Dover. The occupation was brief, lasting only four years. The city became the place where the Camarilla could launch raids to the North until they reacquired each of the cities that exist today.