Courtney Love was outrageous singer and guitarist for the band, hole. Now that they have split she is performing solo and doing some occasional acting.
Courtney Michelle Harrison was born on July 9th 1964 in San Francisco, California, U.S.A to 'Grateful Dead' devotee, Hank Harrison and psychologist Linda Caroll. Courtney spent her childhood in hippie communes throughout Europe and New Zealand. A troubled, angry child, Love was a veteran of reform schools and juvenile halls by the time she was a teenager. She broke away from her family and traveled around the US, living off of a trust fund established for her by her grandmother. In her early twenties she lived in Portland, Oregon and briefly worked as a stripper.
Love began her professional music career with a brief stint as the lead singer of Faith No More in the early 1980s. By 1992 Courtney had formed her own band Hole and married Nivana frontman, Kurt Cobain. That year, she confessed to taking heroin during pregancy in a Vanity Fair interview.As a result, Child Welfare Services briefly investigated the Cobains' fitness as parents. Love claims to this day that she was misquoted, saying she had told author Lynn Hirschberg that she had stopped using once she learned she was pregnant.
In 1994 Kurt Cobain comitted sucide while in the process of divorcing Courtney. She read his suicide note at a televised memorial a few days later, sobbing hysterically and alternately cursing her husband as a "f****** a**hole" and pleading with him to come back.
Since Cobain's death, rumors have circulated that he was in fact murdered by Courtney. Forensic experts claimed that Cobain was too intoxicated with heroin to even hold a gun, let alone shoot himself twice with one. Of course, there is no proof and Love has always denied the allegations.
Hole split in 2002. Recently Courtney has released a solo album, America's Sweetheart and she still continues to act.
* Godmother of daughter 'Frances Bean Cobain' is Drew Barrymore.
* The Nirvana song "Heart-Shaped Box" is about her.
* Once said: "You're no one in the rock industry unless you've feuded with me or slept with Wynona Ryder."
* Though the band denies it, she insists she inspired the song "Crush With Eyeliner" that appeared on the 1990s R.E.M. album "Monster".
* Has admitted to having extensive plastic surgery on her face and body.
* Nightlife columnist Belissa Cohen sued Love for "assault, battery, negligence, and intentional infliction of emotional distress" resulting from an incident involving Cohen's attempt to photograph Love at an LA fashion show.