This huge estate was started by Sir Walter Calverley Blackett who transformed many miles of Northumberland
by road-making, building and planting between 1730 and 1770. The hall was built in 1688 by Sir Wlliam Blackett
and remodelled between 1728 and 1777 by Daniel Garrett.The house passed to Sir Walter Trevelyan in
1853 and whose wife , Pauline, employed John Dobson to roof over the open courtyard.
Sir Charles Trevelyan gave the house to the National Trust in 1941.
Click on a photo to enlarge it.
Back to Index