Victorian Industrialist Sir William Armstrong's wealth and vision transformed 900 acres (360ha) of rough heather moorland, north of Rothbury, into a superb country estate centred on Norman Shaw's remarkable mansion. Between 1863 & 1883 millions of trees were planted and miles of drives created. The estate is renowned for its rhododendrons and azaleas which flower each June.The House was the first in the country to be lit by hydro-electricity.
Click on a photo to enlarge it
Back to Index page