|4 Tbsp||Butter, softened|
|1 1/2 Cup||Cheddar or Swiss Cheese, grated|
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.
3) Stir in flour, cayenne and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly and cook a couple of minutes.
4) Add milk slowly, stirring constantly until mixture becomes thick.
5) Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
6) Beat egg yolks with fork.
7) Add a spoonful of cheese sauce to yolks then gradually add egg yolks to cheese sauce; stirring constantly. Transfer sauce to large bowl.
8) Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form when beater is raised slowly.
9) Carefully fold beaten egg whites into sauce.
10) Turn mixture into a thoroughly greased 1.5 L souffle dish or a deep casserole dish with straight sides.
11) With the tip of a knife, make a deep dent from edge of dish. This creates an attractive crown when baked.
12) Bake at 350 F for 25 to 35 minutes or until souffle feels firm when lightly tapped and top is golden brown.
13) Eat immediately.