Hijjawi Faculty for Engineering Technology was established in 1989 as a
result of the consistent demand and
deists from the Jordanian industrial sectors and market requirements. The
Faculty plan was to graduate competent
non classical engineers who are equipped with a good level of theoretical
knowledge accompanied by high level
of engineering practical skills through teaching the student a large number
of basic and specialized courses. The
great emphasis on the large number
practical laboratory courses, graduation projects and industrial field training was behind the name of the Faculty "Engineering Technology". The field training must be in the area of specialty. It constitutes about 16% of the course program of 153 credit required for obtaining
a B.Sc. degree.
The Faculty follows the University system which operates on calendar of two academic semesters of 16 weeks each in addition to an optional summer semester. During the academic year 1996/1997, the total enrollment is 817 students of which 49 had been graduated. In the first semester of 1996/1997 the instructional staff consistent engineers.
The Faculty utilizes the University Library which has 265000 volumes in Arabic and foreign languages and subscribes to 1100 periodicals in various languages. It also holds over 65000 volumes of back issues in addition to about 12000 other items and materials like microfilms, tapes, slides and maps. The library has around 6000 books in Engineering of which 4000 books on Electrical Engineering. These books are located in the Faculty library as well the main University library. Furthermore, there are about 55 periodicals on Electrical Engineering including IEEE and IEEE Transactions.
The Faculty is supported by grants from the Scientific Foundation of Hisham Adeeb Hijjawi which totaled in the establishment year of 1984 in the sum U.S.$ 3 Million. The yearly faculty resources fall in the neighborhood of US$ 1,400,000.
There are four departments in the faculty which are :