Indian Agricultural Research Institute was established in the Year 1905 at PUSA, Bihar. It's original name before 1947 was Imperial Agricultural Research Institute. After the Independence the name was changed to Indian Agricultural Research Institute. In the year 1936 due to a massive earth quake it was shifted to Pusa, New Delhi.
Since Independence IARI, is a premier institute for Agricultural Research and was instrumental in 1960-70 Green Revolution.
The Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) is the country's premier national Institute for agricultural research, education and extension. It has served the cause of science and society with distinction through first rate research, generation of appropriate technologies and development of human resources. In fact, the Green Revolution was born in the fields of IARI and our graduates constitute the core of the quality human resource in India's agricultural research and education. The Institute has all along been adjusting and improving its policies, plans and programmes to effectively respond to tshe needs and opportunities of the nation. During the fifties, the advancement of scientific disciplines constituted sthe core programme and provided the base for its fast expansion in the 1960's and 1970's in all its three interactive areas, namely, research, education and extension. Besides basic research, applied and commodity research gained great importance resulting in the development of several popular high yielding varieties of almost all major crops and their associated management technologies, which brought about an unprecedented increase in the national food and agricultural production.
Director of the Institute
Prof. R. B. Singh