40 Reasons to Support Gun Control
(Apparently derived from the essay by
Michael Z. Williamson.)
These views posted here are not necessarily supported by those
running the site but are for informational purposes only.
- Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, and Chicago
cops need guns.
- Washington DC's low murder rate of 69 per 100,000 is due to
strict gun control, and Indianapolis' high murder rate of 9 per 100,000 is due
to the lack of gun control.
- Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control
but statistics showing increasing murder rates after gun control are "just
- The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which
went into effect in 1994, are responsible for the decrease in violent crime
rates, which have been declining since 1991.
- We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go
on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of
such a lunatic is paranoid.
- The more helpless you are the safer you are from criminals.
- An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven
spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.
- A woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman
with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.
- When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no
defense — give them what they want, or run" (Handgun Control Inc. Chairman
Pete Shields, Guns Don't Die - People Do, 1981, p. 125).
- The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert
advice about guns; just like Guns and Ammo has some excellent treatises on
- One should consult an automotive engineer for safer
seatbelts, a civil engineer for a better bridge, a surgeon for spinal
paralysis, a computer programmer for Y2K problems, and Sarah Brady [or Sheena
Duncan, Adele Kirsten, Peter Storey, etc.] for firearms expertise.
- The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1787, refers to the National
Guard, which was created by an act of Congress in 1917.
- The National Guard, funded by the federal government,
occupying property leased to the federal government, using weapons owned by
the federal government, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a state
- These phrases," right of the people peaceably to assemble,"
"right of the people to be secure in their homes," "enumeration's herein of
certain rights shall not be construed to disparage others retained by the
people," and "The powers not delegated herein are reserved to the states
respectively, and to the people," all refer to individuals, but "the right of
the people to keep and bear arms" refers to the state.
- We don't need guns against an oppressive government,
because the Constitution has internal safeguards, but we should ban and seize
all guns, thereby violating the 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments to that
- Rifles and handguns aren't necessary to national defense,
which is why the army has millions of them.
- Private citizens shouldn't have handguns, because they
serve no military purpose, and private citizens shouldn't have "assault
rifles," because they are military weapons.
- The ready availability of guns today, with waiting periods,
background checks, fingerprinting, government forms, et cetera, is responsible
for recent school shootings,compared to the lack of school shootings in the
40's, 50's and 60's, which resulted from the availability of guns at hardware
stores, surplus stores, gas stations, variety stores, mail order, et cetera.
- The NRA's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign about
kids handling guns is propaganda, and the anti-gun lobby's attempt to run a
"don't touch" campaign is responsible social activity.
- Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to
use them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder easy.
- A handgun, with up to 4 controls, is far too complex for
the typical adult to learn to use, as opposed to an automobile that only has
- Women are just as intelligent and capable as men but a
woman with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun makers'
advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their fears."
- Ordinary people in the presence of guns turn into
slaughtering butchers but revert to normal when the weapon is removed.
- Guns cause violence, which is why there are so many mass
killings at gun shows.
- A majority of the population supports gun control, just
like a majority of the population supported owning slaves.
- A self-loading small arm can legitimately be considered to
be a "weapon of mass destruction" or an "assault weapon."
- Most people can't be trusted, so we should have laws
against guns, which most people will abide by because they can be trusted.
- The right of online pornographers to exist cannot be
questioned because it is constitutionally protected by the Bill of Rights, but
the use of handguns for self defense is not really protected by the Bill of
- Free speech entitles one to own newspapers, transmitters,
computers, and typewriters, but self-defense only justifies bare hands.
- The ACLU is good because it uncompromisingly defends
certain parts of the Constitution, and the NRA is bad, because it defends
other parts of the Constitution.
- Charlton Heston as president of the NRA is a shill who
should be ignored, but Michael Douglas as a representative of Handgun Control,
Inc. is an ambassador for peace who is entitled to an audience at the UN arms
- Police operate with backup within groups, which is why they
need larger capacity pistol magazines than do "civilians" who must face
criminals alone and therefore need less ammunition.
- We should ban "Saturday Night Specials" and other
inexpensive guns because it's not fair that poor people have access to guns
- Police officers, who qualify with their duty weapons once
or twice a year, have some special Jedi-like mastery over handguns that
private citizens can never hope to obtain.
- Private citizens don't need a gun for self-protection
because the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme Court
says the police are not responsible for their protection.
- Citizens don't need to carry a gun for personal protection
but police chiefs, who are desk-bound administrators who work in a building
filled with cops, need a gun.
- "Assault weapons" have no purpose other than to kill large
numbers of people, which is why the police need them but "civilians" do not.
- When Microsoft pressures its distributors to give Microsoft
preferential promotion, that's bad; but when the Federal government pressures
cities to buy guns only from Smith & Wesson, that's good.
- Trigger locks do not interfere with the ability to use a
gun for defensive purposes, which is why you see police officers with one on
their duty weapon.
- When Handgun Control, Inc., says they want to "keep guns
out of the wrong hands," they don't mean you. Really.