Sis. Alice Butler, Sis. Alice Klugh
Sis. Sallie Lomax
Sis. Mary J. Roman
Bro. W. H. Klugh, Chairman
Bro. G. H. Riley, Bro. Jacob Tarrant
After serving during the year of 1908, Reverend D. S. Brooks carried the mission into the Annual Conference. The conference sent Reverend T. W. Wideman as pastor for the year 1909. For several months, until the church was built, worship services were held at John’s Creek Baptist Church.
Construction of the church began and a few months later was completed in August 1909. The name of the church, Allen Chapel, was given by Sis. Lula Lomax Spearman. It was accepted and approved by the members of the mission.
The opening hymn for the worship service was hymn #10, “Whosoever Hearest Need Not Delay” from the gospel hymnal. The invocation was given by Father Peter Lomax. The first hymn lined by the pastor, Reverend T. W. Wideman, was “Father I Stretch My Hands To Thee”. Prayer was also offered by the pastor.
Later the cornerstone was laid by the Presiding Elder, Reverend C. B. Gilliard in the year 1916.
During the early 1950’s farming was the main occupation of the members of Allen Chapel. Most of the members were very spirited and truly believed in worshipping the Lord. During services some of the members would become very emotionally involved. For instance, Bro. Charlie Spearman, Sr. was a great shouter. During one of his spiritual encounters he broke two chairs. He replaced them with two wood-bottom chairs located in the church.
To this date Allen Chapel has carried a reputation for spiritual singing. The first group to initiate this reputation was the Allen Chapel Usher Board. Sis. Sarah White was the advisor for the group. The original group started out with approximately fifteen to twenty members. The first song they sung on a program was “I’ll Never Turn Back No More”, lead by Elizabeth and Bro. L.T. Spearman. Over the years the group gained new members and lost a few. Some of their favorite songs were “You Better Run” lead by Bro. L.T. Spearman and Bro. Tommy Lagroon, “Jesus Is A Rock In The Weary Land” lead by Bro. L.T. Spearman, “Jesus Steps Right In When I Need Him Most” lead by Simeon and Bro. L.T. Spearman.
The church’s first piano was donated by Bro. Charlie Spearman, Sr. and family. Bro. Jerome Spearman was the pianist. This greatly enhanced the worship service.
In the early part of 1953, Rev. A. L. Spearman preached his trial sermon at Allen Chapel and was licensed by the Quarterly Conference. In November of the same year, he was admitted to the Annual Conference. He was the first and only member up to that time, to begin a preaching career from Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church. He began his preaching career under the guidance of Rev. L. A. Davis, Pastor and Dr. W. S. Mims, Presiding Elder.
In 1954, remodeling was done to the church under the leadership of Reverend L. A. Davis. Later, in 1968, bathrooms were installed, pulpit furniture along with communion tables were purchased under the leadership of Reverend W. M. Carter. After the death of Reverend W. M. Carter, new pews were purchased under the leadership of Reverend H. H. Hatten, Presiding Elder, who carried out the unexpired term of Reverend W. M. Carter.
Allen Chapel has also been blessed to have another son in the ministry. His name is Charlie Spearman, Jr. He currently resides in Greenville, South Carolina and is the Assistant Pastor of Faith Cathedral in Greenville.
During the ministry of Reverend Richard Allen Evans, 1975-1977, some classrooms, a pastor’s study and bathroom, and a conference room were added. The church building was also completely bricked. Choir chairs were donated by Bro. Howard Aull, who was a faithful associate member of Allen Chapel. Much of the remodeling at that time was attributed to him and Bro. L.T. Spearman.
Also during Reverend Evans administration the young adults of Allen Chapel became very active. They formed a young adult club and raised money to assist with various church projects. Sis. Effie C. Spearman was the advisor and Bro. Melvin Lewis was the club president. Activities sponsored by the youth were car washes, raffles, bake sales, and candy sales. The proceeds from these activities were used to purchase a church bus, two flower stands for the pulpit area, and paneling for the conference room. Their motto was “Getting Joy Out Of Helping Our Church”. They all agreed that their proudest accomplishment was the purchasing of the bus whose name was “Snoopy”. They have had many joyous rides on “Snoopy”. The longest trip taken on “Snoopy” was to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
“Snoopy” has been parked for a few years now. “Snoopy’s” motto was “We Love Children”; this was deemed very appropriate for Allen Chapel Church.
During this period the older generation established the “Stabilizing Committee”. The purpose of this committee was to assist the church through its financial difficulties. Sis. Izola Aull was president, Sis. Mary Butler was treasurer and Sis. Rhoda Spearman was secretary.
Fund raising projects consisted of raffles, flea market sales, dinners, filling gleaners, and collecting cans.
On one occasion three of the club members, Sis. Josie Lagroon, Sis. Izola Aull, and Sis. Effie Spearman went as far as Parksville, South Carolina gathering cans. The club made a payment on the mortgage of the church through their hard work. The club phased out during the latter part of 1984 due to the financial improvement of the church. The Stabilizing Committee was proud of their labors.
The next minister for Allen Chapel was Reverend Herbert Evans, 1977-1978. Reverend Herbert Evans is remembered for possessing the qualities of preaching and playing the piano. Sis. Evans, wife of Reverend H. Evans, was gifted in making an appeal for altar call. Reverend Evans would accompany her on the piano. She, like Reverend Evans, had a beautiful singing voice.
Reverend Walter Brown was our pastor the next year, 1978-1979. He will be remembered as a liberal pastor that was instrumental in adding structure and cohesiveness to the church. It was during this administration central air and heat was installed. Also during this time, the new cornerstone was laid. The first cornerstone which was dated back to 1909 was broken during the remodeling, therefore a new one was purchased.
The next pastor of our church was Reverend Phillip Washington, 1979-1980. Reverend Washington had a wonderful voice for singing. He blended his voice with the Gospel Chorus and was one of the leaders for the choir. His favorite song was “We Are Often Tossed And Driven, (Bye and Bye, When The Morning Come)” which he performed as lead singer.
During the years 1980-1984, Allen Chapel was under the leadership of Reverend Timothy Johnson. During this administration one of our members, Phillip Anderson, was called by God into the ministry. As a church we were elated for him. He preached his trial sermon at Allen Chapel on April 26, 1981 at 4:00pm. His text was from the Book of St. John 3:1-10. His subject was “Ordinary People”. He was the first preacher to be licensed by Elder George T. Delvin, Jr., who had recently been appointed the Presiding Elder of the Greenwood District. Bishop Frank Reid, Jr., was the presiding Bishop. To date he has pastored the Antioch-Mt. Pleasant Circuit in Clinton, SC, 1981-1983; Fairview-Elzee Circuit in Clinton, SC, 1983-1985; and the Mt. Zion-Pine Grove Circuit in Hodges, SC, 1985-1987; Mt. Zion (which became a stationed church in 1987) in Hodges, SC, 1987-1991; Mt. Carmel in Fountain Inn, SC, 1991-2002; St. Paul in Irmo, SC, 2002-2006; Bethal in Anderson, SC, 2006-present.
In 1984 Reverend Larry Nelson came to Allen Chapel as our pastor. Under his leadership we accomplished organizing junior stewards, trustees, stewardesses, and usher boards, paid off the church mortgage, purchased a parsonage, opened a building fund account which was used to remodel the church and pave the church parking lot. Many members contributed time and labor toward remodeling the church.
Also, under his administration Reverend Beulah Reagins was called by God into the ministry. She is now the pastor of Little Mountain in Abbeville, SC and Mt. Hebron in Calhoun Falls, SC, 2004-present.
Other ministers over the years have included Reverend Reginald Morton, Reverend Carnell Richardson, Reverend Annette Edwards, Reverend Myron Hill, Reverend Roland E. D. Sigman, and Reverend Andrew Jones. Under the leadership of Reverend Edwards Allen Chapel became a stationed church. Under the leadership of Reverend Jones Allen Chapel built a new santuary.
Also during this time another one of our members, Reverend Wanda Rapley Aull, was called by God into the ministry. She preached her trial sermon on April 26, 1998, at 4:00pm. Her text was Philippians 4:10-19. Her subject was “There’s a Train Coming”. She was licensed to preach by Elder George T. Devlin Jr. Bishop John Hurst Adams was the Presiding Bishop. She is currently the pastor at Mt. Pisgah in Greenwood, SC, 2003-2005 and Mulberry AME Church in Abbeville, SC, 2005-present.
Allen Chapel has been blessed to have another daughter in the ministry. Her name is Evangalist Robin Smith. She is an associate minister of the church as well as first lady of In His Hands Ministries where her husband, Elder David Smith ministers.
Currently we are blessed with Reverend Darren Jones as our pastor. We are looking forward to what the Lord has in store for us and moving into our near future!