Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Disclaimer: I don't own Outlaw Star, though I wish on every star in the galaxy I did, so please don't sue me 'kay?

Note: Welcome to part 2! I don’t expect this part to be very long, not that the first part was in any way long in the first place, but hey. ((-^) Anyhow, much thanks to everyone who reviewed, it’s b/c of them that I’m continuing this now.

Review Question Answers; Jade S. - Thanks for you’re enthusiastic review, it’s the reason this got done as quickly as it did. barbo-chan - same comment as Jade S., also; hum, Jim-torture ehh, *eg* I can do that. Kimbra - you’ll find out in this chapter. Eternal Moonbeam - hey, what do you mean he’s yours, I’m Jim No Miko after all. britie - well, it was a bit too short (sorry), but it was only part 1. Megan - Q.1) You’ll find out in this ch., Q.2) you’ll find out in this ch. Q.3) you’ll find out in this ch. *heehee* Okay, now that that’s done, on with part 2!! *trumpets*

Boutou Hoshi* Part 2

By: Adakie aka Jim No Miko

 

Gene set off down the street and soon he could see the boy in the light of a near by street lamp. He started to replay the information in his head. ‘Let’s see . . . it was a . . oh ya! It was a nine year old kid, James something . . . Li . . La . . Liaren, ya that’s it! And his dad was some big shot at . . . at . . . oh I can’t remember. It was some big place, had a lot to do with the new grappler ship design I think. Ya, that sounds right. There was . . an explosion? No, it was a fire! That’s right, some arson job at there house, both of the parent’s died but the kid got away. And then there’s that neighbor who said she saw everything, and that the kid had tried to pull his parents out. Now what did she say . . . oh ya, that he had grabbed their arms, but pulled back, and that he’d probably gotten burnt on his hands because of it. And that was the last time anyone saw him. This has to be the same kid, it just has to be! Okay,’ he thought, ‘now what?’

He followed the kid down the different roads and alleys, careful to stay far enough away to avoid being caught but close enough not to lose his quarry. Finally, the kid stopped near a large crate, looked around carefully, and slipped behind it. Gene peered around the crate cautiously and found himself staring into a large room.

The room seemed to be a basement and had definitely seen better days. It was very dark, and obviously very dirty. There was a black haired girl sitting on an old, worn out mattress. A very small boy with dark red hair and a pail, chalky complexion was cradled in her arms. She was rocking back and forth, but he didn’t seem to notice. In truth, he barely seemed alive at all. The boy Gene had been following came to stand in front of them, head bent low and long bangs shading his eyes.

"Well," the girl snapped harshly, "did you get it?" The boy was silent for a long moment before answering.

" . . . no."

The girl erupted.

"What do you mean no!? I told you to . . ." The boy had obviously tuned her out. He slowly walked over to a pile of old rags that Gene assumed was his bed. To his surprise, the kid dropped to his knees, then fell face forward onto the pile, fast asleep. Eventually, the girl relaized that he was no longer listening and stopped her tirade.

"Humph, ungrateful b*st*rd."

Gene knelt in shock for a moment, then stood in thought. ‘I’d better think this through before I go doing anything. How do I know this is the guy I’m looking for? What if it’s just some kid who fits the discription? Besides, I don’t think I want to deal with that little b*tch in there at all. He set off down the street, careful to map the alley in his mind before he left. He walked for a long time, going over the different options in his head and coming up with nothing. ‘What can I do to be sure?’ A slight movement in the shadows caught his attention. It was a small child with short, light colored hair, much like the three he’d been watching just a while ago.

"Hey there, who are you?" ‘This kid looks like he’s been here for a while, maybe he’ll be able to tell me something.’

The child snuck back a bit, obviously very scared. "M-my name’s Shalia."

‘Oops, make that she.’ "Hi Shalia. I’m Gene. Listen, can I ask you something?"

"W-well, I g-guess."

Gene smiled at her and she blushed softly. "Great. Listen, I’m looking for a guy. He’s about nine and I think his name’s James, but I’m not sure. Have you heard of someone like that Shalia?"

"Well, I d-don’t think so. The only p-person I know with a n-name like that is Jim."

"Jim, huh? Do you know where could I find him?"

Shalia blushed again, she was obviously quite taken with him. "W-well," she said, "I think he’s still staying with Riakie and Liko."

‘Those must be the two I saw in that cellar.’

"I don’t know why though, R-Riakie’s not very n-nice."

"Oh?" ‘That’s an understatement.’

"Y-ya, I saw him with her once, a-and she was really mean."

"Do you know where I could find them?"

"Oh sure, t-there in that big place a f-few blocks away."

‘Hum, so I was right.’ Gene smiled again. "Thank you very much Shalia." ‘Ah what the h*ll, I’ll be nice.’ He bend down and kissed her lightly on the cheek. The girl bent her head slightly and blushed a deep crimson.

"Y-your welcome," she said softly, then skittered away giggling. ‘Well, at least now I know I was right. This has got to be the same guy, everything adds up . . . and this helps me how?’ Gene started walking again. ‘Okay, I can’t do anything with those two kids there, so I’ll have to wait until he’s alone. But then what? What am I going to do? Should I just grab the kid and turn him in? Those big shots have obviously put some other guys on the job, so if I leave him here I might as well just turn him over to those thugs. But what else can I really do?’

Gene looked around. The sun was just starting to rise and he’d somehow made his way back to the large crate beside the basement. He heard voices coming from inside. ‘Oh, what the h*ll,’ he thought, and peered inside.

"Please Riakie, can’t I just sleep in a little?"

"Maybe you don’t really understand," she said coldly. Her hand shot out and connected with the boys cheek in a vicious slap. "The only reason you’re here," another slap, "is because," slap, "I felt sorry for you." slap. She curled her hand into a fist. "So you," hit, "had better," hit, "be," hit, "good!" Her fist stopped in mid air. The kid was shuddering on the ground, his face in his hands and a small puddle of blood and tears on the floor beneath him.

Her face took on a softer look, all traces of the anger she’d been so violently displaying gone. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and gently rested her cheek against the top of his head. "Oh Jim," she said softly, "Why do you do these things? Why do you make me hurt you? I don’t want to do this to you," the grip tightened suddenly and her voice rose again. "Why do you make me do these things?"

"I . . . I’m sorry."

Riakie backed away then, cool and calm as if nothing had happened. A small smile spread across her face.

"Well, you’d better get going, the sun’s going to be up soon."

Jim, who seemed to have pulled himself together, nodded and stood. Gene realized that he was probably on his way out and hid on the other side of the crate. The boys weary form eventually appeared. He had put on an old, worn out jacket and an equally shabby bag was slung over his shoulder. He walked out a few steps, then stopped.

" . . . b*tch."

Gene smiled a little and came out of his hiding spot. "Watch your language kid."

"What the . . . it’s you."

~*Owarii - End*~

Notes; Did I spell owarii right? I can never remember. Hum, this is longer than I thought it would be. Okay anyway, please review. ((-^)