Park Avenue Center’s women’s facility, located at 2525 Park Avenue in Minneapolis, was originally
built as a private home in 1900 by William LaBarre, an early industrialist. The men’s facility, located
just up the street at 2318 Park Avenue, was built in 1923 by David Tenney who, in 1939, sold the mansion
to John Cowles, the owner of what eventually became the StarTribune. Referred to as the “Cowles Mansion,”
the Cowles family lived in the house for 44 years until it was sold in 1983. Both buildings have been
rehabilitated for use as outpatient treatment centers. Every effort was made to restore and preserve the
beauty and uniqueness of the structures. The result is a home-like, non-institutional setting that provides
a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for treatment services.
Located in the Phillips Neighborhood in South Minneapolis, MN, Park Avenue Center is a community based
substance abuse treatment provider. The treatment center was founded by Richard Fuller in 1979 initially as
a psychotherapy center with drug and alcohol treatment added in 1982. In 1988, Park Avenue Center began gender
specific treatment. In 1990, free offsite residential services were added for women while they attended treatment
and in 1995; similar services were added for men. In 1999, Park Avenue Center was the first treatment facility to
offer long-term residential outpatient services. Clients attended the program for nine weeks while working full-time
and living in our supervised residence for free. It was also in 1999 when the Women’s Evening Outpatient Program was
added and in 2001, the Men’s Long-Term Residential Outpatient Program was added. In 2005, Park Avenue Center became
one of the first treatment Providers in Minnesota to adopt the EAGALA model incorporating Equine Assisted Psychotherapy
as an important component to the residential outpatient services provided.
In 2007, Park Avenue Center became one of six Hennepin County Drug Court Providers, one of four One-Day DWI Program
Providers for first-time offenders, and the only Hennepin County DWI Court Provider. In July of 2008, we started our
Co-Occurring Disorder Program that is a fully integrated program equally emphasizing substance abuse and mental health issues.
In September of 2010, we opened our second location at 2318 Park Ave allowing us to completely separate our men’s and women’s
programs. Finally, in May of 2012, we opened our Administration office located at 2649 Park Ave where we are able provide substance abuse assessments as well as staff trainings and administrative offices.
Over the years, Park Avenue Center has had extensive recognition for its innovative and valuable outpatient programs
that are extremely cost effective.