EDTC 575 E-Education in the Global Environment
This course focuses on the business of distance education from a global perspective. Educational systems, cultural differences, as well as curricula of various global environments are explored. Students will study political and cultural issues that impact education and its delivery of education through distance education modalities.
Topics and Objectives
- Examine the concepts of culture and diversity and their impact on education
Nature of Distance Education
- Analyze the nature and characteristics of distance education.
- Compare and contrast features of distance (electronic) education with face-to-face education.
Technology and Instructional Design
- Synthesize issues to consider in the planning process.
- Evaluate the use of different technologies for different purposes in distance education.
- Develop communication models for distance learning.
Perspectives and Issues of Students on Distance Education
- Analyze the particular issues facing students in distance education.
- Determine the use of student basic support services.
Perspectives and Issues of Teachers on Distance Education
- Evaluate the role of the teacher in distance education.
- Assess the needs of staffing.
Special Issues in Distance Learning and the Global Environment
- Develop handouts and other teaching materials for distance education.
- Determine ways to enhance teaching using Internet resources.
Assessment in the Distance Education Modalities
- Determine issues of intellectual property, plagiarism, and cheating in distance education.
- Evaluate different types of assessment in the distance education environment
- Evaluate teacher and program effectiveness in distance education.
Creating a Distance Learning Course in Distance Education
- Determine elements of an effective electronically-based course.
- Develop standards and criteria for student and teacher achievement.
- Integrate important aspects of business, technology, and education in the development of distance education courses.
Future of Distance Education
- Develop an understanding of key trends in distance education.
- Synthesize learning from this course with best practices in teaching.
Information retrieved from University of Phoenix
Online Student and Faculty Web site (home page