EDTC 555 Internet And Distance Education Delivery
This course will explore methodologies in comparing and selecting distance education delivery platforms. The course will focus on effective instructional strategies in distance education. Both asynchronous and synchronous deliveries will be explored. An emphasis will be placed upon Internet delivery and Internet course management solutions.
Topics and Objectives
Distance Education Delivery Overview
- Identify markets for distance education.
- Compare and contrast different types of synchronous and asynchronous distance education delivery.
- Analyze advantages and disadvantages of mixed distance education delivery.
- Examine qualities of an effective distance education delivery system.
Distance Education Platforms
- Identify the features of distance education platforms (e.g., learner tools, support tools, technical specifications).
- List the most important features relating to the target audience.
- Select the most effective distance education platform.
- Compare and contrast the features of selected distance education delivery platforms.
Instructional Strategies in Distance Education
- Identify effective instructional strategies in distance education.
- Examine ways to increase learner interaction in distance education.
- Analyze the integration of traditional classroom/training elements in the distance education environment.
- Convert a classroom-based lesson to an Internet-based format incorporating effective instructional strategies.
- Integrate effective instructional strategies in the Internet-based lesson.
Free Standing Course Components
- Analyze the changing role of eContent (e.g., virtual libraries, e-Text).
- Examine e-Assessment tools.
- Examine online survey generators.
- Identify plagiarism detection tools.
Course Management for Distance Education Delivery
- Analyze the features of a Course Management System (CMS).
- Examine special issues in class management (e.g., inappropriate behavior, identity and security issues, plagiarism, learner privacy).
- Investigate current course management products available through electronic resources.
Distance Education Delivery for Corporate Training
- Analyze distance education delivery for corporate training.
- Compare and contrast two Learning Management Systems (LMS) (e.g., Saba® and Docent®).
- Explore professional development/corporate trainer resources.