Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

I'll Be There

By Sandy

Not Expecting the Unexpected Sitting across the desk from McCall, Hunter looked amused at his partner's apparent inattentiveness. "McCall!", Hunter called to her again. She seemed to be in a daze or far away in thought. It finally registered that Hunter was calling to her. "Yeah, what do you want?"
Hunter got a grin on his face and McCall knew she had said the wrong thing. Annoyed she said, C'mon Hunter what is it?" "Well McCall I was wondering if you would like to come over tonite for a barbeque unless you have one of your hot dates lined up?" "That's not funny!! Hunter you know I am having a dry spell right now. That hurts. Look who's talking the man with a blonde on each arm!!!!"
Hunter then said "Okay, do you want to come over or not? You have had me over so many times so I thought I would return the favor. If you don't want to come over just say so." "Okay Hunter I'll bite. Who else is coming?" "No one else; just you and me unless you think we need a chaperone" he jested. Ignoring his remark she answered, "Alright, I'll be there. I hope you're not inviting me because you feel sorry for me. Do you want me to bring anything?" Hunter quipped, "Of course I feel sorry for you" he said with a devious smile "and yes, please bring over one of your great tossed salads and I love your potatoe salad." "Hunter, do you want me to bring over all the food?", she said sarcastically. "No! but that isn't a bad idea you have there McCall. I will supply all the rest. I hope you have a good time tonite. I'd like to talk with you about a few things too that's all. But most of all, I thought we could have some fun." He just couldn't resist his laste remark.. "Hunter what kind of fun do you have in mind. No funny stuff or I'm not coming."
With her last statement he gave McCall a dirty look. "Please be there by 7:30. It should give you enough time to make the salads and besides I have to go shopping for tonite that's why the barbeque is later than the usual. Shall we go now my dear?" He said helping Dee Dee from her chair. It was a Friday nite and Dee usually went to sleep. Gosh, why am I doing this? Oh well if I finish the salads I will be able to get some sleep.
Hunter got his shopping done and returned home and put away his groceries. He then went outside to make sure everything was ready for the barbeque. He looked out from his porch to the beach and the water. It was breath taking. The sky, water, and the sounds were so beautiful!! Gosh I love this place. It is so peaceful...Ah thank God I have this place to come home to. I need this place.
Hunter remembered back when his father had bought this place for him. He was just 10 years old. The place was for sale and he remembered begging his dad to stop and look at it. They were going fishing at the time but little Rickey wanted to see this cabin. He remembered it was in better shape at the time, but it still had it's charm. His dad he could tell loved the view himself and he said he would buy it for him. He promised that when Rickey got older that they both would build a beautiful house there for him there for him. Rick told his dad " I don't want to. I love it just the way it is" His Dad winked at him and said "I do too son. I do too!" "This is a treasure and you found it Rickey. I want you to have it for as long as you want it." Which is forever Hunter thought with tears in her eyes.

 :

Part 2

Thinking back McCall had never been in his backyard. All the dates he had shown it to weren't very impressed. They never seemed to appreciate what he found to be haven from all the troubles of the world. Oh well as long as I love it here it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! Hunter reasoned. I've got to tell Dee Dee tonite and I am sure she won't be too happy about it he thought. He was very troubled.
He got all the food ready to cook and then decided to take a nap before McCall arrived.
Meanwhile McCall got the salads done and decided she would take a nap because of the mood she was in. It had been a hectic week with all the cases they had, but they managed to get them all done. Now we have to get the dam paperwork done and Hunter will find a million excuses not to do it. Ugh, the thought of Monday made her even more tired. She set her alarm for 6:30 but she "knew" he would call before then. She thought, He can be such a pest!!
It didn't take long for McCall to fall asleep. She wasn't able to sleep well because she kept dreaming that Hunter was in some kind of trouble. At 6:00 she dialed his number and heard a sleepy voice. "Hunter are you okay?"
"Yeah, I just nodded off. Then he demanded, "Why aren't you over here? I've been waiting for you to get here."
McCall relieved he was alright answered, "Hunter you said 7:30 and I won't be there til then. Have you got that in your thick head?"
"Okay McCall. Would you give me a call before you leave?"
"Why?"
"Because my alarm clock is broke and I want to take a nap."
"Well I'll be nice to you this time, since you are inviting me to dinner even though it IS just a BBQ."
Hunter got an uneasy feeling when she said that. He said "Thanks" and hung up the phone.

It was 7:30 when Dee Dee looked at her clock. Then she remembered what she had done. Oh no I overslept again. Hunter is going to be so mad. I better call him now and get it over with.
"Hunter it's 7:30 and I'm on my way". She could hear him as she hung up the phone not giving him a chance to ask questions. She hurried and got her salads and ran to the car and took off.
When she arrived Hunter was in the kitchen getting ready to take the food and plates and utensils out. "Dee Dee, what happened? Why are you so late?"
"Oh the alarm didn't go off and when I woke up I called you. I'm lucky it wasn't 7:30 in the morning" she laughed nervously. Hunter had some steaks grilling and he told Dee to sit down and enjoy her leisure time. He would take care of everything.
McCall marveled about how beautiful it was in his backyard and asked him why he didn't show it to her before. He just glowed with the description that McCall portrayed to him. He told her the house looked run down but he wouldn't trade it for anything. He told her he didn't think she would like it or think it would be anything special to her. "What's not to love Rick? I wish you had shown this to me before."
It was 8:30 and getting darker when it was time to eat so Hunter lit candles, bamboo torches, and plugged in his colored Chinese lanterns. It was a beautiful site as they sat and ate. Everything seemed hypnotic and magical with the candles flickering. They had a good time talking about old times and their past.
After the "delicious" dinner which McCall had said, Hunter asked Dee Dee if she would like to join him on the beach. McCall said "Sure". She was actually having a good time. Hunter outside of the office sure can be quite charming she thought. I haven't been outside the office with him in so long I forgot just how appealing he can be.

 :

Part 3

McCall told Hunter everything was "delicious" especially the salads. He agreed her salads were good. Hunter said he wanted to go down to he beach and asked Dee Dee if she would join him. McCall said "sure". When they reached the beach, Hunter lit the fireplace, he had built a year ago and sat down so that he could talk to her. Instead of talking they watched the last rays of the sun setting. The sky was full of deep purples and blues, and at the horizon where the setting sun was were reds and oranges and yellows. It was a magnificent sight. Then a big full moon appeared. The night was really beautiful and breathtaking. Hunter and McCall could enjoy the silence together and not feel uncomfortable. Dee Dee was thinking Rick can be quite charming when he isn't at work. I forgot that about him since we haven't been together much unless we are working. Rick is a very attractive guy. Okay I notice him at work too but not like I do here.
Hunter was beginning to try and figure out how he was going to tell Dee Dee. He didn't want to just say it. He knew he could find a way to lead into it, but how??? Finally Rick decided to have fun first and said to McCall, "Have you ever been skinny dipping?"
"Is this the reason why you wanted me to come over here?"
"Sure why not?"
"Funny, funny!" she sounded sarcastic to him.
"I haven't been skinny dipping since I was 16. What about you, McCall?
Since it was dark she was glad he couldn't see her blushing. "Well....." she said with a smile "I did once or twice in my life but not as an adult.
"Well I dare you McCall. I have two large clean towels up on the deck and a nice hot fire so you are a big chicken if you don't." Hunter ran up to the porch to get the towels and by the time he returned Dee Dee was already in the water. Rick Rick joined Dee Dee and they splashed around like kids, and swam and laughed and had a lot of fun.
Dee Dee told Rick to close his eyes knowing he would be dreaming up some fantasy while she ran out of the water and dressed before Hunter realized that he had been tricked. When it finally dawned on him, he yelled he was going to get her and he could hear he laughing. After Hunter dressed, Dee Dee ran out from behind a bush, and they both fell on the beach laughing so hard. Then McCall jumped up and yelled "let's play tag" as she touched him. She yelled "the porch is safe" as she was already halfway to it.

 

{ Back to Fanfiction