Chapter 37

One night after a concert in…Seattle we had a little after party in the bus with just the guys and us. We walked through the halls of the hotel smiling and talking and laughing as we reached our hotel and opened the door. We fell silent when we saw the faces of Mr. and Mrs. Hanson as they sat on the couch. Mrs. Hanson looked as if she had been crying and Mr. Hanson’s lower lip quivered.

“Uh…is something wrong?” Ike asked breaking the awkward silence.

“Yes, something is wrong. Could you all please leave- we need to speak to Ashly,” Mr. Hanson gulped.

My heart grew heavy as he said that- I knew whatever he would have to say would be horrible. Everyone filed silently out of the room- everyone except Zac.

“Zac, honey, please.” Mrs. Hanson said wanting him to leave.

“No, it’s okay.” I assured them feeling my own lip start to tremble.

Ms. Diana nodded giving the okay to Zac to stay. Mr. Hanson squirmed in his seat nervously trying to find the right words.

“Uh…Ashly,” Mr. Hanson finally managed.

“Yeah?” I breathed.

“Your…your father had a stroke tonight.” Mr. Walker swallowed hard.

Suddenly I couldn’t breathe and my feet gave way.

“Whoa,” Zac said catching me and pulling me over to the sofa.

I sat up and realized that this wasn’t a dream.

“Is…Is coach dead?” I asked crying.

“No…but he is in very critical condition- and he could,” Mr. Hanson informed me.

Mrs. Hanson nudged him.

I cried even harder, “I have to go home.” I said suddenly.

“We booked you a flight to Tulsa for tomorrow night,” Mr. Hanson looked down.

Then I heard Zac gasp for air.

“I won’t be able to come back will I?” I asked crying.

“No sweetie, I’m afraid not- not if you leave tomorrow night,” Ms. Diana said.

“Ashly, you don’t have to leave- your father will get better I promise,” Mr. Hanson said changing his point of view on the subject.

“No, I have to go home.” I said thinking only of Coach, Brandon, and Mom.

“Then you’ll leave right after the concert tomorrow.” Mr. Hanson settled it. I didn’t want to look at Zac- I couldn’t.

Chapter 38