Chapter 16

“ZAC! TIME FOR ASHLY TO GO HOME!” Mrs. Hanson yelled from the kitchen.

“OK!” Zac shouted down to her, “Can I walk you to your house?” Zac offered.

“Sure,” I said picking up his drumsticks.

“WAIT!” Taylor said springing up from the bed.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I…I…” Taylor couldn’t get the words out.

“Come on spit it out Tay,” Zac said impatiently.

“I’m going to miss you so much!” Taylor wailed starting to cry as he picked me up, spun me around and hugged me.

“I’ll miss you too,” I said hugging him.

Zac stood and watched in the doorway, I looked at him knowing I had to leave.

“I’ll see you later,” I said letting my hand fall to my side as a tear ran down my face.

“Mom! I’m going to walk Ashly over!” Zac yelled to his Mom as he opened the front door.

“Okay sweetie…” Mrs. Hanson replied.

The walk across the front lawn was pretty silent, then we reached my front door.

“I guess this is good-bye,” I said sniffling as a steady stream of tears fell from my eyes and ran from my cold cheeks.

The night air was brisk and the front light lit up my porch.

“Yeah…I guess so…” Zac said as tears started to also fall from his eyes.

“Okay,” I said breathing in deeply, “Let’s not cry…” I wiped away my tears.

“Right, it’s only a few months,” Zac convinced himself wiping away his tears.

“I’ll miss you,” I said meeting his eyes again.

“Me too,” He said leaning in.

Once again our lips touched. My insides felt warm and my spine tingled. When our faces pulled away we just stared at each other.

“I can’t wait until I see you again,” Zac said.

“I’ll be waiting.” I smiled clenching his drumsticks.

“Well, Bye.” He said.

“Bye…” I said.

I watched him walk back over to his yard and took a deep shaky breath- the summer wasn’t going to be as awesome as I thought. It was going to be tough. I walked inside thinking only of Zac.

Chapter 17