Port Deposit, town (1990 pop. 685), Cecil co., NE Md., on the Susquehanna R., and 3 mi/4.8 km N of Havre de Grace; 39°36'N 76°07'W. Granite quarrying (since 1808) and shipping; makes fabricated steel prods. Col. Thomas Cresap operated a ferry here as early as 1729 and the town was known as Cresap’s Ferry into the early 19th cent. The town came into existence in 1808 with the completion of the Susquehanna, or Md., Canal. Named Fort Deposit in 1813, it literally became a port of deposit for arks (or rafts) and sailing vessels. An iron foundry (1849) produced the popular Armstrong stove in the 1870s. The canal, unable to compete with the RR, closed in the 1890s, and quarrying remained the only industry until the Bainbridge Naval Training Center was est. 1942. Washington Hall was built in 1894 to house the Tome Inst., a free school, financed by a $1.5-million bequest from millionaire lumber dealer Jacob Tome (1819–1898); closed in 1941, but the school’s Adams Hall is now Town Hall. A successor institution, the Bainbridge Center (closed 1976), was a training center for WAVEs during World War II


Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!