Site hosted by Build your free website today!
  Family Facts


Family Facts
Favorite Stories
Osmund &  Birgit
Gunder & Betsy
Bertha (Betty)
Aase Thea Olena
Ingeborg (Emma)
Ole J & Thora
Guest Book



All inputs are welcome.  Just send your facts to


      Did you know that the oldest son of  a family is named after the fatherís father; the oldest daughter is named after the fatherís mother.  The next oldest son is named after the motherís father, and the next oldest daughter is named after the motherís mother.  Subsequent children are named after relatives.  This practice, along with the name of the farm where he lived comprised a manís name.


 This is what folks thought about Marlowe Tweten (son of Snarey Tweten and Aase Trydal) as is evidenced by the following eulogy, delivered at his funeral on 26 Feb 1985.

Eulogy for Marlowe Orlando Tweten


Marlowe was born on a farm north of Broderick, Saskatchewan, the fourth of nine children.  After leaving school, he worked at anything and most everything that he could find if it was farm related during the Depression years.

At the outbreak of World War II, he joined the South Saskatchewan Regiment and a few months later was in England.  He took his trades training as a cook there and shortly thereafter, transferred to the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps where he served until the end of the war.

He met his future wife Jeanne in September of 1941.  They were married in April of 1942.  He took part in the invasion of Sicily in 1943 and served through Italy, France and the liberation of Holland before returning to Canada.  During his time in England, he became the proud father of two sons, Christopher and Alvin.  Unfortunately his first son Christopher died in infancy.

Marlowe's wife and son joined him in Regina in May of 1946 where they set up their first residence at 1648 Rae Street.  They moved to 107 McIntyre St when Marlowe bought his first home for the princely sum of $1000.  During the years on McIntyre Street, Marlowe and Jean became parents 10 more times with three of those children dying in infancy.

A family of this size was not an easy venture and because he had set a goal to give his family the very best, he worked long and hard hours-daytimes with the CPR and evenings (often becoming mornings) in his garage adjacent to the house.  His garage was not only a source of extra income but it soon became a social center for many of the men in the neighborhood as well as colleagues with whom he worked.

In 1960 he went into business on his own by contracting his services to that same railway.  This decision proved to be an astute one for in November 1961, when his son Roger was only eight days old, he was able to provide his family with a new home that even had running water-much to the relief of those who had to use the facilities when they had been used to something that could only be described as less than modern.

He retired from his work in March of 1982 and was the honored guest at a retirement party attended by many of you present today.

He couldn't bear to be in active and continued to maintain his contact with the railroad through a small service contract that enabled him to sustain his sense of worth.  He worked at this right up until last Thursday, the day before he entered the hospital.

What I have just spoken of are merely dates and times.  What I would like to amplify now is Marlowe the man.  The parable of the good Samaritan was chosen for today because Marlowe was truly a good Samaritan.  It didn't matter if he lived next door to Marlowe or halfway around the world, if he knew you, you were his neighbor.

In his second love was  cars.  He channeled his spare time into the hobby of stock car racing.  He started as a pit rat in the 1950s and became the proud owner of his own car and team-a team that was to become Provincial Champions in 1966.  Sometime after this, he joined the team of Berry Powers and toured on the Can-Am circuit.  These trips provided him with a great deal of excitement, leisure and relaxation.  Even after leaving the rigorous demands of his hobby, he continued to support the stock car club by being found in the stands or prowling the pits-usually in the company of one of his children or grandchildren.

He was a cook in the Army, but didn't follow through in civilian life.  There was, however, one exception and that was his skill at taking a pinch of this and a handful of that in producing stacks of pancakes.  This skill became so well known within his family that you eagerly anticipated that first breakfast at home after being away.  When his youngest daughter Christina was asked by a schoolmate if her mother was preparing pancakes for Shrove Tuesday, her logical reply was, "Mummies don't make pancakes-Daddies make pancakes!"

As his children became of driving age, they would soon be the owner of their own car-usually provided by Dad, with the servicing and repair always being supplied by him.  He was a mechanic without formal training but there was very little he couldn't diagnose and fix.  His ability to repair engines that others had given up on most respected and admired.

During those important years of adolescence, the standard trials and tribulations of being a parent were amplified by the number of children.  He was unfailing in his support, security and love.  He gave his children that will to succeed and more importantly, the value of being happy at what you did.

In a nutshell, Marlowe's primary love and source of pride was his family and secondly, the optimism and love that he felt for his fellow man.





Home | Family Facts | Genealogy | Favorite Stories | Osmund &  Birgit | Gunder & Betsy | Anne | George | Bertha (Betty) | Osmund | Gunhild | Knute | Andrew | Cora | Gladyce | Aase Thea Olena | Ingeborg (Emma) | Tena | Ella | Olina | Tom/Tordjay/Tadjii | Ole J & Thora | Guest Book

This site was last updated 05/04/07