Was outdoor recreation important to our government prior to 1990? The below list suggests many conferences to insure physical health and well being. SO, I ASK YOU, WHEN DID THE LIFESPAN AND WELFARE OF INSECTS, AND WEEDS BECOME MORE IMPORTANT THAN HUMAN HEALTH?
IMPORTANT DATES AND EVENTS IN RECREATION RESEARCH (prior to 1990)
1. Samuel Dana Problem analysis in forest recreation research, 1957
2. ORRRC Commission Report 1962
3. Conference on research in Ann Arbor, 1963
4. Economics of Outdoor Recreation, Clawson & Knetsch 1966, RFF Program on outdoor recreation research during 1960's.
5. National Acad. of Sciences, Program for outdoor rec. research, 1969
6. Journal of Leisure Research founded, 1969
7. First Nationwide Outdoor Recreation Plan 1973
8. Harper's Ferry Research Needs Workshop, 1974
9. NAS Report Assessing Demand for Outdoor Recreation, 1975
10. CORDS Reports, 1976
11. Leisure Sciences founded 1977
12. First NRPA/SPRE Leisure Research Symposium 1977
13. First National Outdoor Recreation Trends Symposium, 1980
14. NRPA/BOR research agenda project, 1982
15. PCAO Reports 1986
16. Wilderness research Conference 1985
17. Anniversary Leisure Research Symposium - Barnett (1988) book
18. Benchmark conference, RPA planning 1988
19. Recreation Benefits Workshop 1989.
20. 1990 Trends Symposium
Regular Symposia with published Proceedings/Abstracts
NRPA/SPRE Leisure Research Symposia; Since 1977; Abstracts published since 1981.
Canadian Leisure Research Symposia: 1975 (Laval); 1979 (Toronto);1983 (Ottawa); 1987 (Halifax); 1990 (Waterloo); 1994 (Winnepeg).
Southeast region symposia (SERR): since 1979 Northeast region symposia:since 1989
Travel and Tourism Research Assoc. since about 1973 CenStates, TTRA: Last few years
World Leisure and Recreation Assoc. (WLRA). Research in the National Parks, since 1979.
IUFRO, SAF, Assoc. of American Geographers, Recreation Working groups
Trends every five years since 1980;Social Sci & Res Mgmt every other year since 1986?