Major Characters from the Dragonriders of Pern Novels
Characters in the Dragonriders of Pern series of fantasy novels by Anne McCaffrey.
8th Interval, 9th Pass
- F'lar (Fallarnon) and bronze Mnementh - Benden Weyrleader
- Lessa and gold Ramoth - Benden Weyrwoman, Ruathan-blood, turned over Ruatha Hold to Jaxom
- F'nor (Famanoran) and brown Canth - Wingsecond at Benden Weyr
- F'lessan (Felessan) and bronze Golanth - Benden Weyr; Lessa and F'lar's son
- Lord Jaxom and white Ruth - Ruatha Hold. Jaxom is an exception in that he Impressed the white dragon Ruth, yet retained his status as a Lord Holder.
- Readis- The Dolphineer.
- Robinton - MasterHarper; recruiter of Menolly
- Piemur - Harper; companion of Stupid and Farli; husband of Jancis; father of Pierjan
- Menolly - Harper; wife of Sebell
- D'ram and bronze Tiroth - Oldtimer Ista, then Southern, Weyrleader
- N'ton (Naton) and bronze Lioth - Fort Weyrleader; weyrmate of Margatta and Ludeth
- R'mart and bronze Branth - Telgar Weyrleader
- G'narish and bronze Gyarmath - Igen Weyrleader
- T'bor and bronze Orth - Southern, then High Reaches, Weyrleader
- Kylara and gold Prideth (deceased) - Southern Weyrwoman; weyrmate of T'bor, half-sister of Lord Larad and Thella
- Brekke and gold Wirenth (deceased) - Junior weyrwoman at Southern Weyr, weyrmate of F'nor.
- Mirrim and green Path - Benden Weyr; weyrmate of T'gellan and Monarth; Brekke's fosterling
- Manora - Weyr housekeeper and F'nor's mother and F'lar's foster mother
- Tai and green Zaranth - rider at Monaco Bay weyr; weyrmate of F'lessan
- T'lion and bronze Gadareth - Monaco Bay Weyr. T'lion re-established contact with the Monaco dolphins.
- T'gellan and bronze Monarth - Weyrleader of Monaco Bay Weyr; weyrmate of Mirrim and Talina
- C'gan and blue Tagath (both deceased in first threadfall, ninth pass) - Weyrsinger at Benden Weyr
- F'lon (Falloner) and bronze Simanith - Weyrleader at Benden Weyr; father of F'lar and F'nor; friend of Robinton
This is the term used for those from 400 Turns past called by Lessa and Ramoth into the present Turn. Some of them were exiled to the Southern Continent because they were unable to accept the leadership of the current-day Riders.
- T'ron and bronze Fidranth - former Weyrleader of Fort Weyr; also called T'ton; weyrmate of Mardra and Loranth; exiled
- Mardra and gold Loranth - former Weyrwoman of Fort Weyr; weyrmate of T'ron and Fidranth; exiled
- T'kul and bronze Salth - former Weyrleader of High Reaches; a conservative who kills his bronze Salth when he sends him to fly after the young Ista queen Caylith in a mating flight, he was killed shortly after by F'lar, during this time Robinton had a heart attack; exiled
- Merika and an unknown queen - Former Weyrwoman of High Reaches, who is hated by all. She's supposed to have a bad temper. Kylara mentioned that when she helped out during Threadfall, the woman treated her with contempt
- R'mart, Weyrleader of Telgar and rider of bronze Branth; stepped down in the 9th Pass
- Bedella - Weyrwoman of Telgar and rider of gold Solth. She's known to be very unintelligent. The woman likes music, and is R'mart's Weyrmate.
- B'zon - bronzerider who let his dragon, Ranilth, chased gold Caylith at Ista
- G'lanar - rider of bronze Lamoth who tried to kill Jaxom and instead got killed by Jaxom, while Lamoth died in shame that his rider would attack another rider.
- G'narish - Igen Oldtime Weyrleader; younger than many other Oldtimers; rider of bronze Gyarmath
- Nadira - Igen Weyrwoman, rider of gold Baylith
- D'ram - rider of bronze Tiroth; Weyrleader at Ista Weyr; an ally of F'lar
- Fanna - Weyrwoman of Ista Weyr; dies; rode gold Mirath; at her death, D'ram retires
- Sebell - Harper; husband of Menolly; Robinton's successor
- Master Fandarel - MasterSmith; grandfather of Jancis
- Master Oldive - MasterHealer
- Master Nicat - MasterMiner
- Master Andemon-MasterFarmer
- Master Zurg-MasterWeaver
- Master Idarolan-MasterFisher(retires)
- Master Kurran-MasterFisher
- Master Domick - Harper Craftmaster of Song Composition
- Master Shonagar - Harper Craftmaster of Voice
- Master Petiron - Harper; teacher of Menolly; husband of Merelan; father of Robinton; composer of many difficult and complex songs
- Master Morshall - Harper Craftmaster of Theory
- Master Sograny - MasterHerder
- Tagetarl - Journeyman Harper/MasterPrinter
- Wansor - Master Starsmith
- Lord Warder Lytol (formerly L'tol, rider of Brown Larth.) - Ruatha Hold; caretaker of Jaxom during his minority
- Lord Groghe - Fort Hold; son of Lord Grogellan; friend of Robinton; advocate for AIVAS and Benden. Gold fire-lizard Merga, seventeen sons!
- Lady Benoria - Groghe's wife
- Lord Fax - High Reaches, Nabol, Crom, and Ruatha Holds; tyrant cousin of Bargen of High Reaches
- Lady Gemma - one of Fax's wives, who believed in dragonriders and died giving birth to Jaxom
- Lord Toric - Holder of Southern Hold
- Lady Sharra - Toric's sister and Jaxom's wife
- Lord Meron - Nabol Hold; Anti-Benden. Succeeded by his grand-nephew Deckter in Dragondrums.
- Lord Jayge - Trader, later Holder of Paradise River in the Southern Continent.
- Lady Aramina - Jayge's wife. Aramina can hear the mental speech of any dragon, and is a cousin of Lessa. Mother of Readis.
- Readis - Two people were named Readis: an uncle of Jayge, who joined Thella's band then later helped Jayge to free Aramina, getting killed in the process; and the son of Jayge and Aramina, who founded both Kahrain Hold and a Dolphin Hall there.
- Yanus - Holder of Half-Circle Sea Hold; father of Menolly and Alemi, thought it was disgraceful for a girl to be a harper.
- Mavi - Yanus' wife who discouraged Menolly's musical talents
- Lord Bargen - Lord of High Reaches; cousin of Fax
- Lord Larad - Lord of Telgar; Pro-Benden, half-brother of Thella, brother of Kylara. Became Lord Holder at age 15. Father of A'ton, a dragonrider, and Laradian
- Thella - renegade half-sister of Larad, called "Lady Holdless"; led a band of robbers and tried to capture Aramina
- Lord Sifer - Lord of Bitra
- Lord Asgenar - Lord of Lemos; Pro-Benden; husband of Famira
- Lady Famira - Asgenar's wife
- Lord Oterel - Lord of Tillek; son of Melongel and Juvana, nephew by marriage to Robinton
- Lord Raid - Lord of Benden; supports Benden, but very stubborn
- Lord Sangel - Lord of Southern Boll
- Lord Grogellan - Lord of Fort in the Eighth Interval, father of Groghe. Died because he refused to have his appendix surgically removed.
- Lady Winalla - Grogellan's wife
- Lord Faroguy - Lord of High Reaches in the Eighth Interval; uncle of Fax, father of Bargen and Faravene.
- Lady Evelene - Faroguy's wife
- Faravene - son of Faroguy and Evelene; killed by Fax
- Lord Kale - Lord of Ruatha in the Eighth Interval. Father of Lessa
- Lady Adessa - Kale's wife, Lessa's mother
- Lord Ashmichel - Kale's father, Lord of Ruatha.
- Lord Tarathel - Lord of Telgar, father of Larad, Thella, and Kylara. Related to Petiron
- Lord Halibran - Lord of Ista in the Eighth Interval, father of Halanna
- Lord Melongel - Lord of Tillek in the Eighth Interval, father of Oterel
- Lady Juvana - Melongel's wife, sister of Kasia, parents Bourdon and Brashia
- Kasia - Juvana's sister, first husband Merdine, second husband Robinton; she died of a fever after their honeymoon.
- Lord Maidir - Lord of Benden in the Eighth Interval, father of Raid, Maizella, and Hayon
- Lady Hayara - Maidir's second wife, mother of Hayon, Naprila, and Rasa
- Lord Lesselden - Lord of Crom in the Eighth Interval, killed by Fax
- Lady Relna - Lesselden's wife
- Lord Alessan - Lord of Ruatha in the sixth Pass. Brother of Oklina, lover of Moreta.
- Lady Nerilka - originally from Fort, marries Alessan after Moreta's death. Nicknamed Rill.
- Lady Janissian - elected Lady Holder of Southern Boll at Sangel's death
- Lord Kashman - son of Corman of Keroon; his heir
- Lord Langrell - son of Laudey of Igen; his heir
- Lord Corman - Lord of Keroon
- Lord Warbret - Lord of Ista Hold
- Lord Laudey - Lord of Igen Hold
(Rider first, dragon second)
- Moreta and gold Orlith - Fort Weyr; famous Weyrwoman of history, and lead character in the book Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (1983)
- Leri and gold Holth - former Weyrwoman at Fort Weyr before Moreta
- Oklina and gold Hannath; sister of Alessan at Ruatha Hold; Impressed the queen Hannath at Orlith's last hatching; weyrmate of B'lerion and bronze Nabeth of High Reaches
- Torene and gold Alaranth - first Weyrwoman at Benden Weyr; could hear all dragons; was the first to offically put forth the idea of shortening the names of dragonriders.
- M'hall (Michael/Mihall) and bronze Brianth - Torene's weyrmate; first Benden Weyrleader
- Sorka and gold Faranth - Leader of the original queenriders and eventual Weyrwoman of Fort Weyr; Faranth was the first fertile queen on Pern
- Sean and bronze Carenath - Leader of the original dragonriders, eventual Weyrleader at Fort Weyr. His dragon flew Faranth
- M'barak and blue Arith - Fort weyrling who helps Moreta transport serum
- Lorana and gold Arith (deceased)- Queenrider at Benden Weyr, 3rd Pass. Cured the illness decimating the dragons of her time, but lost Arith in the process.
- M'tal and bronze Gaminth - 3rd Pass Benden Weyrleader
- Salina and gold Breth - 3rd Pass Benden Weyr Weyrwoman; rider of Arith's mother
- Tullea and gold Minith - nasty Weyrwoman of Benden after Breth's passing
- D'gan and bronze Kaloth - arrogant Telgar Weyrleader in the 3rd Pass
- K'lior and bronze Rineth - amateur Weyrleader at Fort Weyr in the 3rd Pass
- B'nik and bronze Caranth - Weyrleader at Benden Weyr in the 3rd Pass
At the time of Impression, male dragonriders' names are shortened with an apostrophe. This follows an old tradition of shortening names, as it's easier for Wingleaders to shout the shortened names of their riders when commanding them as they fly threadfall. As an example, Felessan became F'lessan at his impression.
Most girls will only Impress gold queens, with the exception of a few female greenriders, such as Mirrim, and queens fly in a wing of their own, with agenothree tanks to sear Thread from the skies. Thus, female dragonriders do not shorten their names as a rule.
When asked why all dragons' names end in th, Anne McCaffrey facetiously replied, "Dragons have forked tongues. They lisp"; Pernese dragons have no vocal cords, and speak only telepathically.
- Master Capiam-MasterHealer during the time of Moreta
- Master Belesdan - MasterTanner; located at Ista Weyr