GHB or sometimes called Liquid E or Liquid G. Is popular at
raves and partys because many users compare it's effects of that of ecstasy.
1. GBL, gamma-Butyrolactone. (Used almost exclusively as a chemical intermediate as well as in the production of pesticides and herbicides. Also GBL can be used as an intermediate in the production of vitamins and pharmaceuticals.)
*You can find this at www.geocities.com/specialtywood_products. They sell 1000ml bottles of GBL for only 65 dollars. They sell GBL as a paint stripper for antique wooden furniture.
*Just look on the internet.
2. NaOH, sodium hydroxide or lye. You can find this in the drain cleaning section at most stores. Recommened 'Red Devel Lye'.
*2. KOH, potassium Hydroxide. You can use this or NaOH, but you will need more KOH then NaOH.
3. pH testing papers, found everwhere ask a clerk or someone at a big store.
How to make GHB:
You will need :
1. 135 grams (120 ml)of gamma butyrolactone
2. 63 grams of Sodium Hydroxide or
91 grams of Potassium Hydroxide
3. Papers to test pH
1. Place the content of the gamma butyrolactone bottle in a stainless steel or pyrex glass saucepan. Do not use aluminum cookware to make GHB.
2. Place the content of the NaOH or KOH bottle in the same saucepan.
3. Put SLOWLY around a half cup of warm distilled water in it. Put a cover (fast! the reaction may be immediate) on it but not tight.
4. Wait a little it will start reacting on itself. If it doesn't (after 2-3 minutes), heat it a LITTLE (once it reacts remove it from the stove).
4.5 If there is some NaOH not dissolved, stir it up till it is.
5. (This step is optional, some like it like that and others prefer to heat the solution a little.) After it's finished. Start heating it slowly. You will see it starting boiling. Don't overheat! It can burn. Do it for one hour. Don't forget to add water if you make it boil for a long time.
5.5. Between step 4 and 6 you might see a white compound on the side of the saucepan (it doesn't happen everytime). Don't throw it away, it's GHB. When you will add water, it will dissolve.
6. When you are finished, put it in a measuring cup (Pyrex) and fill it with water (when I'm in a hurry to taste it I use ice) to 1000ml (a little more than 4 cups). That way you'll have around 1 grams per teaspoon.
7. Measure the PH. If it's higher than 7.5 add vinegar to lower it to below 7.5 It can take 50 - 75 ml of vinegar.
9. To store it I use a mason glass jar with a plastic cover. I draw the poison logo on it (very important! you don't want a kid to take a full glass of GHB). I place it in the fridge, the taste is better when it's cold.
Another Way of making GHB:
You will need:
Clean dry beakers and graduated cylinders, a set of chemical scales, narrow range pH strips for 5.5-8.0, a hot plate, and (if you intend to make powder) two sealed tupperware containers, a blender and a pyrex baking dish.
1) Accurately measure out gamma-butyrolactone (GBL) in the volume of milliliters (mls) you want to react.
Example: You want to react 120 mls of GBL.
2) Multiply this number by the average density of GBL (1.124 gms/ml).
Example: (120 mls GBL) * (1.124 gms/ml) = 134.88 gms GBL
3) Divide this number by the average molecular weight of GBL (86.09 gms/mol).
Example: (134.88 gms GBL) / (86.09 gms/mol) = 1.567 mols of GBL
4) Multiply this number by the average molecular weight of NaOH (40.0 gms/mol)
Example: (1.567 mols) * (40.0) = 62.69 gms NaOH
5) Weigh out this much NaOH using a set of chemical scales.
6) Heat the GBL + 5% distilled water (by volume) to 100 degrees C
Example: 120 mls GBL + 6 mls distilled water heated to 100C
7) Completely dissolve the NaOH in distilled water at the rate of about 40 grams per 100 mls of water.
Example: (63 gms NaOH) / (40) = 1.575 * 100 mlw H2O = 157.5 mls water
8) *SLOWLY* drip (DO NOT POUR) 90% of the NaOH into the heated GBL and make sure that the reaction is occurring (the solution will begin boiling vigorously). If the reaction is not occuring, then you either have not heated the GBL to 100C or you have defective reactants (throw them out and get fresh stuff). Once the solution begins boiling, you can turn the heat off - the reaction will make its own heat.
9) Begin measuring the pH of the reaction solution with narrow range pH paper (5.0 - 8.0 paper). When the range begins to get to 7.5 to 8.0, stop dripping the NaOH solution. This mixture will still have unreacted lactone in it - so now it is time to do some steam distillation.
Steam Distillation (The purification step)
10) Put a thermometer in the solution capable of measuring 200C and crank the heat up on the solution. You may want to add a boiling stone made from a clean piece of pea gravel to the solution (don't use a boiling stick because you will burn it up, and don't use a chemical boiling stone because they contain metals that are not supposed to go into humans).
11) When the solution gets up to 150-155C, cut the heat back enough to hold the temperature steady at 150-155C. Hold it at that temperature until all bubbling stops. The beaker now contains melted NaGHB.
12a) To make a liquid, add enough boiling water to make the dilution you want.
Example: You want 1 gram NaGHB per 5 ml of solution. 120 mls of GBL will make 198 grams NaGHB. 198 * 5 ml = 990 mls of solution. So add enough boiling water to bring the entire solution up to 990 mls.
12b) To make powder, pour out thin strips of the NaGHB melt into the pyrex casserole dish. Return the melt to the low heat to keep it melted. Let the strips cool - they will begin to curl up if the strips are about 1/2" to 1" in width. Scrape them up with a metal spatula and put them into a sealed tupperware container. Pour out more strips and repeat the procedure until you have used up all of the melt.
13) Let the strips in the tupperware container cool down and shake them around a bit (while holding the lid tighly on). This will break up the strips.
14) Put the boken up NaGHB pieces into a blender (no more than 1/3 full) at high speed. You may have to shake the blender around a bit to make sure everything is ground into powder. Pour the powder into a sealed tupperware container.
15) You are done. Enjoy, and please don't do G and drive.
Making Powder GHB:
A Method for Making Powdered GHB (Gamma Hydroxybutyrate)
Never mix GHB with other substances - especially alcohol or other CNS depressants (like sleeping pills).
Wear gloves and safety glasses at all times. If any of the reagents or intermediates contacts the skin, wash well with cold water.
For step 3, use electric oven only. In a gas oven, the pilot light may ignite alcohol fumes, causing fire hazard.
1. 60 grams of NaOH
2. 120 ml of gamma butyrolactone
3. 1000 ml of pure ethanol
These quantities are not fixed - use more or less as needed, but keep the proportions the same. The NaOH can be dissolved in less ethanol, but these proportions make the process easier and faster.
The ethanol must be pure (no water in it) - don't use vodka. GHB will not crystalize if there is water in the solution. Denatured ethanol can also be used, but be sure to let it completely evaporate before ingesting it. Methanol can also be used, but this is toxic, and excess must be removed before ingestion. If methanol is used, only 500ml is required, but be sure all the methanol is evaporated before ingesting it (check there is no methanol odor left).
Obtaining the ingredients:
NaOH, denatured ethanol and methanol are very easy to find. Just look up chemical products in the yellow pages. Those chemicals are so common that you won't be asked what you are going to do with it. Gamma-butyrolactone is difficult to find. Several companies sell it on the net. See above in The Chemicals Needed at the top of Making GHB on where to buy GBL.
Equipment needed :
1. Screw cap bottle larger than 1000ml; if you choose plastic use HDPE, (it will be clearly marked on the bottom)
2. Glass container at least 1200 ml. in volume.
3. Coffee filter papers (2)
1. Dissolve the NaOH in the ethanol - place the ethanol in the screw cap bottle and add the NaOH. Shake and allow to stand until cool. Continue until all the NaOH has dissolved. Be sure to release the cap frequently to release pressure.
2. When all the NaOH has dissolved (this can take an hour of shaking and waiting) pour it into the glass pot and add the gamma-butyrolactone. A precipitate (this is the GHB) will form. Allow to stand for an hour.
3. After allowing it to stand, filter the product through the 2 coffee filters (placed inside each other), collecting the precipitate. Dry the precipitate by placing it in an oven on the lowest setting for 24 hours. Use electric oven only! In a gas oven, the pilot light may ignite alcohol fumes, causing fire hazard.
4. You can keep it in the powdered form (keep it in an airtight bag since it is hygroscopic and will absorb water from the atmosphere). Alternatively dissolve it in 750 ml of water; this will give a solution containing about 1g of GHB per teaspoon. Don't ingest the neat solution in case there is unreacted NaOH which can burn the skin - mix it in 1/2 cup of water of fruit juice.
Effects of GHB:
Most users find that GHB induces a pleasant state of relaxation and tranquility. Frequent effects are placidity, sensuality, mild euphoria, and a tendency to verbalize. Anxieties and inhibitions tend to dissolve into a feeling of emotional warmth, wellbeing, and pleasant drowsiness. The "morning after" effects of GHB lack the unpleasant or debilitating characteristics associated with alcohol and other relaxation-oriented drugs. In fact, many users report feeling particularly refreshed, even energized, the next day. The effects of GHB can generally be felt within five to twenty minutes after ingestion. They usually last no more than one and a half to three hours, although they can be indefinitely prolonged through repeated dosing. The effects of GHB are very dose-dependent. Higher levels feature greater giddiness, silliness, and interference with mobility and verbal coherence, and maybe even dizziness. Even higher doses usually induce sleep.
Determining the ideal dose is probably the trickiest aspect of working with GHB. The amount required for a given level of effect will vary from person to person, and the dose-response curve is fairly steep. Overestimating the dose can have consequences ranging in seriousness from ruining your plans for the evening to waking up in the emergency ward as a result of panic on the part of concerned-but-uninformed friends or relatives. Once you have found the levels that give you the effects you desire, they will remain consistent. Tolerance to GHB does not develop. However, recent (not current) alcohol consumption may decrease the effect of a given dose of GHB. Most people find that a dose in the range of 0.75-1.5 grams is suitable for prosexual purposes, and that a quantity in the range of 2.5 grams is sufficient to force sleep.
A low dose of GHB (usually from .5 to 1.5 gms) often causes effects similar to those of 1-3 drinks of alchohol. Users can feel a mild relaxation, increased sociability, slightly decreased motor skills, sometimes mild dizziness, and other effects similar to mild alchol intoxication. Even at low doses it is improper for GHB users to drive or operate heavy machinery.
A medium dose of GHB (usually from 1 to 2.5 grams) increases the relaxing effects and the physical disequilibrium experienced. Some people report an increased appreciation for music, dancing, or talking. Many people report positive mood changes. Some slurring of speech, silliness, and slight incoherency are also common. Others report increased feelings of nausea and grogginess. Some users of GHB report pro-sexual effects: an increase in tactile sensitivity, relaxation, increased male erectile capacity, and heightened experience of orgasm. Some women report that GHB makes orgasms harder to achieve.
A heavy dose of GHB (from 2.5 + grams) can increase feelings of disequilibrium in many people to point of feeling quite ill. Many people accidentally move from Medium Dose to Over Dose, only passing through Heavy Dose for a few minutes. One reason that GHB has gained notoriety as a Club Drug is that some people experience extremely positive feelings on Heavy Doses of GHB. Reports of euphoria, feeling music deeply, joyous dancing, and other very positive effects are common among afficianados. People who report these effects also describe how difficult finding one's personal dose range can be to achieve these effects. An extra quarter (.25) gram can be the difference between euphoria and vomiting.
The Overdose range for GHB can be as little as 2 grams, based on body weight and individual sensitivity. One major problem with GHB as an underground recreational substance is that it has a sharp dose-response curve, which can be difficult to manage with the various non-standard preparations available to the uninformed buyer. Another major problem is that uninformed users often mix GHB with alcohol, which drastically increases the chance of vomiting and unconsciousness. An overdose can consist of mild to extreme nausea and dizziness, sometimes vomiting. It can also be characterized by a strong drowsy feeling followed by an temporarily unrouseable sleep (sometimes characterized as a type of coma) for 1-4 hours. Some Overdoses of GHB mix vomiting with unconsciousness which is an extremely dangerous combination for obvious reasons. When using GHB (or any substance), it is important to remember to let someone who is with you know what you're doing, so if you experience Overdose effects, they can react appropriately and let any health professionals who become involved know what substance was involved.
I am defining a level dosage above Overdose in order to highlight the effects of extreme overdoses. While many Overdoses consist mainly of heavy sleep, some are lifethreatening. GHB Poisonings are characterized by very low breathing, convulsions, vomiting, being completely non responsive even to 'deep pain', fixed pupils, etc. GHB poisoning victims should receive medical care immediately.
Some people feel drowsy, sleepy, or groggy after the effects wear off or the next day after ingestion. The hangover from low and medium doses of GHB is usually mild or non existant, although some people report feeling slightly 'fuzzy headed' the next day. Some people also report feeling refreshed, happier, and more alert the day after use. For some people, using GHB more than once a week causes significantly increased negative after effects.
Biology Common Forms Other names
Back to GHB Back to List of Drugs Back to list of topics MAIN