Gangaramaya Raja Maha Vihara
Renowned for its murals of the Kandyan Sittara art, "Gangarama Raja Maha Viharaya" is attributed to King Kirti Sri Rajasinhe (1747 - 1781). The temple is named "Gangarama" due to its location near the great Mahaweli river in Lewella.
A rock inscription in this temple describes the Building of the temple by the King:
According to this inscription this location has been already a place of veneration with a Image of Buddha by the time King Kirti Sri Rajasinhe (1747 - 1781) built the temple. Gangarama was earlier associated with the educational activities of Velivita Sri Saranankara Thero.
The paintings in this temple depicts scenes of Buddha in this birth and of Jataka Stories. Even today they are valued as excellent examples Kandyan Sittara Art. The decorated eave tiles with the lion symbol, the high roof structure and above all the large standing figure of the Buddha 27 feet height surrounded by walls of paintings, speak for the artistic and religious of the Kings of that day.
Source : "Kandy"
The Treasure Troves of Lewella - Daily Mirror - February 19, 2007
Created July 8, 2007