Chapter 2, part 3: Diplomacy On The Isle of the Dead.
* l`Aquila The stars shone down over the crypts of the cemetery as Piero Moro stood calmly, illuminated by the bright light of
the full moon. He said quietly: "Clouds would be better, it is hard to hide
in this. . . The tomb of the craftsman" Enricio Morricone did not respond
or shake as Moro leaned against it, brushing a bit of dust from the name.
"Finding them will be difficult, Ulrich. Where do we even look?"
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen the hulking German...frowned...and thought
to himself...moving as little as possible..his mail shirt...and multitude
of weaponry...would be a give away once he started moving quickly... "We search for a Item of power...perhaps it is that we should attempt to
locate and not the men themselves....."
* Rosalva_Solario will play with some paper she was nervous she
doesn't want to be here nor does she think she will be very good
<Rosalva_Solario> <Softly> they will not appear until
Midnight it is not midnight yet I can try to narrow things down...
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen looked twords Rosa... "within how close
can you predict a locale....feet...yards..?"
* l`Aquila Pietro Moro puts his hand on the sword at his belt, saying
"What will you need. I will protect you while you consult your charts,
m'lady!" The 18 year old boy speaks with a voice that doesn't quite match
the tenor of his words, or the intensity.
* Rosalva_Solario will looks for a flat surface.
<Rosalva_Solario> I am not sure I need to check my calculation and
consult the stars.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen frowned slightly...." I may have a
idea...does anyone have a piece of glass...or a crystal...a refractive
* Rosalva_Solario will go through her bag and takes out some
charts and her paper and offer Ulrich a reading glass.
* Rosalva_Solario will push up her veil so she can see without
* l`Aquila reaches to his belt and pulls out a spyglass. "Will
this do, Ulrich?"
* l`Aquila looks over the crypts carefully, glancing over the
shadows among them, and considering. Men watching the natural landings on
this island. . . but that wouldn't be helpful if they came to the island
in unnatural ways.
* Rosalva_Solario will take out a map of the island and start to
go over it along with one of the star charts looking up at the sky ever so
often to confirm.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen looked between the two..and chose the
spyglass..better for looking "Keep your reading lense Mi'lady...you'll
need it if this doesn't work..." bending down...jingling a tad as he
did...he removed three vials from a small pouch on his hip...and looked
them over...choosing one..he opened it..and dabbed the spyglasses lens
with some of the chemical...using his cloak to wipe it on..and avoid
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen tucked away his other Alchemical
implements... and raised the spyglass...and began surveying the area....
* Rosalva_Solario will look over the maps and look over her
notes then starts packing things up.
<Rosalva_Solario> they will be somewhere near the center..
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen in a hushed Whisper... "The moor...I have
* Rosalva_Solario will be quiet she won't look around she will just put
her equipment away.
* l`Aquila reaches over for the spyglass as Moro draws his
sword. Moro speaks with an intensity "I'll get him. . . " l'Aquila puts a
hand on Moro's chest and shakes his head once.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen handed the Captain the spyglass.. "there..between the crypts..." points
* Verederosa picks her way through the crypts towards the group,
her silhouette changed from before - the practicality of hose and doublet
replacing the long gown, her height and build making her look more like a
boy than a grown woman. A cloak wraps round her shoulders, covering a lump
that may prove to be a heavy satchel. Her voice, however, is the same,
pitched low to carry only to her companions. "Good evening. I apologize
for my delay."
* l`Aquila took the spyglass and stared out, then nodded.
"There's the four of us. . . Maccini is with the crossbow is by the statue
of St. Mary. . . Firenzi is waiting with the pistols should things go
awry. Ah, and here's Rosa. . ."
* Rosalva_Solario will look up at the sky.
* l`Aquila The stars are clear. . . shining down. A
bright star stands next to the Full Moon. . . the morningstar. . .
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen waited....hand on the head of his
blade...he simple waited....cloaked draped around him...black..hood
up...hopefully appearing as little more than another Gargoyle...
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen whispered to Pietro...
* Rosalva_Solario will look over to another star to see if it is
visible haunted like she looks at a lover she cannot be with.
* l`Aquila Arcturus shines down. . . clear in the triangle.
* l`Aquila Pietro Moro nods as he picks up his dagger and lets one
end glint in the moonlight towards the statue. The Moor does not seem to
see. . .
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen gave Pietro a...harsh look....
* l`Aquila starts to hunch forward, moving quietly towards the
Moor, sword and pistol drawn. . . his sword has been blackened slightly,
it does not shine. . .
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen moved after the Captain.....moving as
quickly and quietly...as possible
* Rosalva_Solario will crouch down herself and wait .
* l`Aquila Pietro sheathes his blade and bows to
Rosalva, following Ulrich and l'Aquila. .
* Verederosa finds herself a welcoming home in the shadow of a
stone angel, and stands quietly - waiting for a time when she might be
useful, but lips moving in slow, silent prayers that she would have no
wounded to tend this night.
* Rosalva_Solario will mouth to him to be careful.
* l`Aquila The moor walks into a clear space before a shrine. . . And
there he stands, bedecked in the robes from earlier. He's not even wet,
nor does he seem at any unease. . . he stands waiting. . .
* l`Aquila A man without teeth moves next to Verederosa.
You recognize him from the lodge. One of the gondoliers, he's packing the
muzzle of a pistol, waiting for trouble and watching below. "The signoris
give the signal yet, Signora Medico?"
* Verederosa blinks and stiffens until she recognizes her new
companion, then whispers softly in reply, "They have begun to advance upon
* l`Aquila The Moor raises his hands into the air as a
man walks from between the crypts into view. Robed in an anachronistic
fashion, he spoke to the Moor in Arabic. <<Do you have what I requested, alQidafi?>>
A firm aristocratic accent, the man leans on a staff, his long hair and
beard mingling in with the cloak.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen tried to catch the Captain's eye...and made
a quick gesture as though he'd go for the Aristocrat....
* l`Aquila The moor nods as he says <<Magister Hargrave,
do you have my payment.>>
* l`Aquila nods once to Ulrich, pointing his pistol forward. . .
* l`Aquila Magister Hargrave pounds the staff on the ground once, and a
large man steps from the shadows carrying a large chest. . . the chest is
placed on the ground, and opened. The moor stares into the chest
thoughtfully. . . then nods once.
* l`Aquila The large man has a scarred face, hair on his arms, and is
dressed in furs. He sniffs the air once, and lifts his head.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen and the bitter tang of adrenaline....what
was in a science...the human body is capable of great things when it is
pushed into stressful situations....thousands of years of Germanic
infighting had bred a man like Ulrich...and he knew that the breeding..and
the stress of the situation..he could push his body...and so he
did...moving forth at a blinding rate of speed...and willing himself to
strike true..a foe like this..you killed quickly....and he drove for the man
* l`Aquila stands up and takes a shot at the Moor as soon as
Ulrich gets close enough to surprise the Magister. . . He fires once at
the Moor, the loud BLAST of his pistol ringing out. That is the signal of
[16:26] <l`Aquila> #Crossroad_Dice
06[16:26] * l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 Ulrich roll Dex + Brawl 3· 4»
[16:26] <l`Aquila> Take surprise
06[16:28] * l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 Whatcha want to do? Tackle him or strike with
the sword? 3· 4»
[16:29] <Ulrich-Von`Riessen> sword strike
06[16:30] * l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 Anywhere in particular? 3· 4»
[16:31] <Ulrich-Von`Riessen> (Lets go with a solid stab into his mid
06[16:31] * l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 The moor is shot in the arm, reaching up and
clutching his arm he falls to one knee in surprise. . . the lamp drops to
the ground as he clutches his own arm...He then reaches down to take the
lamp calling out "Ambush!" 3· 4»
06[16:31] * l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 Roll Dex + Melee diff 8 3· 4»
06[16:39] * l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 Ulrich charges pounding the broadsword
directly into the chest of the Master Magus. . . Blood bursts from his
mouth over his beard onto the face of Ulrich as he stares in surprise. He
coughs, letting his staff fall to the ground as his eyes glaze over. . .
straight through the heart his hands shaky, he collapses onto the sword.
* l`Aquila The large man screams out "MAGISTER! NO!"
drawing his sword from the sheathe on his back and moving to swing towards
Ulrich. Pietro Moro charges forward to try to intercept the sword, however
he is one turn away from reaching the area. The Moor picks up the lamp. .
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen looks towards the roaring servant...intent
on his death....with a free hand...drew up the swiss Landersken Hand
pistol he had prepared....and fired on the advancing brute
<l`Aquila> The brute screams as he brings down the sword hard,
however he misses most of the important arteries, hitting the gun as it
rises up to shoot at him. . . Ulrich loses his forefinger, the gun is
sliced out of his hand, lying on the ground as blood spurts from his
finger. The brute goes to lift the sword again, however l'Aquila is able
to bash the side of the sword with his own cutlass, kicking at the Brute's
ankle to bring him to his knee. . .
* Rosalva_Solario will watch from her vantage point looking
forward but not cringing she knew it would come to something like this.
* Rosalva_Solario will let out a small shriek when Ulrich is wounded but
put her hand up to muffle it.
* l`Aquila Pietro jabs his dagger into the back of the Brute, directly
into his lung. The brute seems angered by it, but knocked off balance he
falls to the ground. . .
* l`Aquila The moor rubs the lamp. . . and mutters something quietly. . .
repeating it quietly.
* Rosalva_Solario will look at the moor get up her dagger drawn
and try to get to him before he finishes what ever he is doing.
* Verederosa watches with relative impassiveness during the
combat, but she winces slightly at the blood coming from Ulrich's hand.
She makes no noise, however - staying silent and patient in the shadow of
the statue. The sight of the moor rubbing the lamp is troubling, however,
and she reaches to her feet to try to find a small stone - even one
well-placed pebble could stop whatever he's planning...
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen even with his bloody stumped finger...the
german..grasped his blade...and the body attached...and heaved
it...directly at the moor.....
* l`Aquila The moor is struck with the body, however
smoke is already spewing from the lamp. . . the Moor keeps repeating his
command in Arabic "Save my life. . . Save my life. . . Save my life." the
lamp drops from his hand as he smoke spews from it. . . lifting into the
air. . . l'Aquila turns to the moor. . . sword drawn. . . he then draws
* Rosalva_Solario will start to walk backwards away from the
* l`Aquila A face forms in the smoke saying "DONE. YOUR LIFE WILL BE
SAVED!" The smoke descends on the moor, obscuring him from sight.
* Rosalva_Solario will move back away from what is going on
trying to get back from what ever it is.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen frowns and circles as his good hand draws
the warhammer/pick from his belt loop.....and places himself between the
smoke and the Navigator....
* l`Aquila The Smoke elevates into the air, laughing as he shouts out
"DONE! YOUR ENEMIES WILL BE DESTROYED!" The smoke congeals at a higher
level, flames rising from the depths of the dark cloud. . . large arms
form from the smoke, fingers extend outwards as the sound of laughter
echoes over the Island of the Dead...
* l`Aquila The Djinn holds its hands like a
puppetmaster, wiggling its fingers over the island, standing 40 feet high.
. . l'Aquila starts to walk backwards from the Djinn, looking over the
area, looking at the crypts, looking at the assembled. The gondolier fires
a shot at the Djinn, but the bullet goes straight through the smoke. . .
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen looks at Rosalva...as he moves to get his
finger "Run Girl!"
* Rosalva_Solario will run back towards the crypts trying to
get out of sight.
* Verederosa is further back than the rest and she does not
retreat at first - eyes locked upon her companions more than the billowing
smoke. The booming words, however, are worrying, and she scans the churned
ground at everyone's feet.
* l`Aquila One of the crypts open, as a skeletal hand
pops from it. . . waterlogged hands rise from beneath the ground. . . as
slowly the dead of the island begin to lift themselves. The Djinn laughs
maniacally. . .
* Rosalva_Solario will actually scream at this point and try to
find safe ground to stand on.
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Antonio! We should go!" grasping up his
finger....shouting to the Captain..however not retreating himself until
* l`Aquila shouts out. "You are a devil to desecrate these
Christian bodies with your magic." Leaping atop the crypt, l'Aquila
slashes at one of the corpses, deflecting the skeletal grasps of another
with his dagger, kicking out and breaking the leg of another corpse. . .
the Brute stands up as the creatures start to move near him. . . Pietro
pulls out his pistol and fires into the head of one of the corpses. it
falls down, however it lifts again like marionette
* Verederosa blinks at that mess and she taps the gondolier on
the arm to point back to the boat. If they didn't have transportation
they'd never get off this island... "Ready the boat!"
* Rosalva_Solario will look up at the stars and clasp her hands
<Rosalva_Solario> <softly> how do I send it back show
me... *She looks upwards and starts mumbling like she is reading
* l`Aquila shouts out to Ulrich. "Get them out of here. Prepare
the Arsenal, we'll want full broadside against the smoke. . . prepare to
disperse." He slices off the head of one of the corpses shouting out at
Rosalva "Rosalva, do you have any idea how to cast this thing away?" The
brute slices one of the corpses in two but is grabbed from behind. . .
* l`Aquila One of the corpses moves behind Rosalva.
Pietro tackles the corpse with a running charge. Overhead in the sky the
Djinn continues to laugh. . . There's a sound of a scream as the Gondolier
is torn to shreds. . .
<Rosalva_Solario> I think I can I just need to ...
* Rosalva_Solario will point upward.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen follows orders... "Doctor....Girl! you
men! MOVE DAMN YOU!" the hulking German bellowed....and cleaved open a
skull with his hammer....moving amongst the dead...that war hammer
crunching skulls like ripe melons.....as watched the women's Back so they
get to the boat
<Rosalva_Solario> do you see that constellation do you think you
can get it under that?
* l`Aquila starts to retreat with Rosalva, Ulrich and Pietro,
slashing back at another of the corpses. The brute, hacks away from the
group, moving into the throng of corpses, screaming. . .
* l`Aquila looks up at the Djinn nodding as he says "Yes! If we
had some explosives to work with. . . we could blow the smoke there. . . "
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen even with his Ruined hand....he grasped the
Italian cutting sword stationed in its secondary sheath...below the one
that carried his broad sword...and the German began to two
handedly...carve his way through the masses of the dead....a whirling
dervish of death...Blade...and hammer doing gruesome work... "Gather your
spare powder charges everyone!!!"
[17:31] <Ulrich-Von`Riessen> I have a idea!!!!
* Verederosa is easily lost in the shadows to living eyes, but not so
easily to the dead, and she ducks around the angel to avoid a shambling,
half-rotted corpse, the decayed flesh and funeral finery dripping from the
bones. She shrieks as her arm's grabbed by one and another, rising from
the ground, grasps her ankle. Kicking out she crushes the fragile old
skull, then swings her heavy bag of medicines around to knock the other
one's head clean off - decayed spinal column not enough to keep the two
together. Tearing free she bolts for the gondola.
<Rosalva_Solario> If you get it there, there is something like a
celestial stream it will pull the creature down it like it is caught in a
* l`Aquila looks to Ulrich as he stabs forward into the heart of
one of the corpses, slicing off its head with the dagger. "I'd love to
hear your idea, Herr von Reisen."
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> I have a alchemical Urgent that aides in
explosive power!" as he stabs a dead man though the chest.. simultaneously
smashing in the skull of another.. "Those vials earlier...with your
spare gunpowder charges...hopefully I can cause a large enough explosion
to drive there thing where the girl wants it!" guts a dead man....as he
drives the spike of his hammer through the eyes of another..flinging it
into some of its companions
* l`Aquila shouts out to Ulrich saying "Done, but they'd have to
be precise. . . the crypt of Moroni. . . Marzanapan. . . Luccazi. . . and
then the angel of the Blessed Virgin. . . That should do the trick if the
explosion's large enough.
* Rosalva_Solario will assume Pietro is closest since he tackled
a Zombie off her. She will move closer to him dagger drawn to defend
* l`Aquila Pietro wraps his arm around Rosalva dipping her down and
stabbing over her body to get the creature behind her. "M'lady, I knew
that one day I'd have the opportunity to stare into your eyes once more."
* l`Aquila tosses a pouch of charges to Ulrich, saying "Toss me
some of the unguent. I'll get Mazanapan and the Blessed Virgin. . . it's
only right that a good Catholic sacrifice the Virgin for the good of her
* Rosalva_Solario will step into Pietro but her dagger is out
over his shoulder she has put it into the head of another of the walking
dead. She speaks into his ear.
<Rosalva_Solario> <softly> Don't be so romantic you forget where we
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen shouts... "I see allright yes....exactly!" tosses the man of some Blue
viscous looking fluid....luckily he has two
vials...and would begin to fight his way twords the Moroni....and the
* l`Aquila bashes one of the creature with the pommel of his
sword as he takes the viscous looking fluid. He sniffs it for a moment
saying "It's Alcohol. . . "
* l`Aquila Pietro, lets go of Rosalva and takes a dramatic bow, stabbing
the creature behind him, then rising again saying "My apologies, m'lady."
A corpse grabs him from behind. . .
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "Yah! My grandfather was the brewmaster of
Passua!!! I stumbled upon it as a lad among his vats!" as he jabs the
nearest zombu...and lays some powder and fluid...gutting one with his bad
hand...while his other one work
* Rosalva_Solario will move forward quickly and try to come up
behind the creature stabbing it in the ribs.
* l`Aquila shouts out "Herr von Reisen, next time we bring
Pas-de-fer to lay charges on all land based missions. . . take note of
that too Rosa!" The corpse's spine is smashed, and Pietro flips the upper
half over his shoulder as soon as the corpse loses leverage due to
Rosalva's attack. . .
<Verederosa> Path after path's blocked by the shambling dead
and Verederosa is starting to worry about being cornered completely.
Skidding to a halt as another shambling dead blocks her path, this one
looking no more than two weeks dead, and smelling worse than the fishmarket on a hot day. She ducks left, then right, then left again,
losing her cloak and a strip of flesh off her throat as the chain tears
free and cuts into her skin.
* Rosalva_Solario will work trying to get the creature off
* l`Aquila runs forward, leaping onto the chest of one of the
corpses, digging his feet into its ribcage, before leaping up onto the
creature's head and standing onto one of the rapidly opening crypts. . .
running forward at full speed, he leaps into the mass of the undead,
running over their shoulders and heads towards the Blessed Virgin. . .
* l`Aquila Pietro gets it off him and then throws his
dagger over Rosalva's shoulder into the face of one of the corpses. The
corpse grabs the knife and draws it out, letting it drop to the ground as
Pietro slashes over Rosalva's shoulder, reaching over her and pressing
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> So Noted Captain!" as he lowers his
shoulder....and bulrushes the undead horde....tossing them..this way..and
that....hammer and sword like scythes into wheat....as he pushed
through....the mob...a pile of gore....as he reaches Luccazi...and plants
his second charge....
* l`Aquila A large group of corpses are blasted to the
side as a small bespectacled figure with an arquebus approaches
Verederosa. Nicolo from the Lodge says "Ah, good to see you, Signora
* Rosalva_Solario will duck down and put her head against
Pietro's chest so that she isn't hindering his fight horribly.
* Verederosa hollers "Aye Capitano!" around a cough as she leaps
over another crypt, eyes widening as she's nearly deafened and blinded by
Nicolo's blast. Still, she smiles in some relief and says, "And a blessing
to see you as well, Signor" through panting breaths
* l`Aquila shouts out to Ulrich. "THIRTY SECOND CHARGE!" He
pulls a spare fuse from his belt, sticking it into the powder and lighting
the first one, before leaping over the corpses again, flipping into the
air and stabbing downwards in an impressive sort of way, setting the
second charge with the fuse already in it, l'Aquila smashes the side of
his sword against the crypt of Manazapan. . . letting the spark ignite the fuse.
Overhead the Djinn starts to laugh maniacally.
* l`Aquila starts to run back towards the group, but gives up,
instead letting himself drop into the open crypt of Antonio Capriezi de
Morano. . . the corpse has vacated it minutes ago. . . and then 10 seconds
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Lighting the fuse on the second
charge....and using the sparks off a thrown knife to light the
second....and ducking for cover
* Verederosa reaches out to tug on Nicolo's arm, saying, "To the
gondola! If we do not ensure their line of retreat they may well be
* Rosalva_Solario will going to try to get herself and Pietro to
cover away from the blasts and trust him to keep the corpses off of us as
foolish as that might be.
* l`Aquila spark lights on the thrown knife as the
charges are set. . . Nicolo moves with Verederosa, and Pietro grabs
Rosalva's arm to drag her towards the gondola and the canal. . .
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen will make a dash to dive into one of the
open crypts as well before the explosives go off...
* Rosalva_Solario will run with Pietro then to get to the
gondola. trying to argue the course of action just seem like it would make
* l`Aquila The explosives go off in unison, the charges
blowing dead bodies into the air, the shrapnel rising from the crypts, and
the force dispelling large chunks of the Djinn's smoke. . . the Djinn is
blasted backwards only about 20 feet, but it's enough, as the smoke starts
to dissipate, the smoke rising from its hands as the Djinn's smokey eyes
go wide. . . the body loses cohesion, and it lets out a scream
* l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 Using those 5 successes from Rosalva for her
effect, coupled with the successes from Ulrich and l'Aquila, the Djinn is
dispelled into the netherworlds from which it came. 3· 4»
* l`Aquila The bodies all collapse on the ground, no life in them anymore.
. . smoke covers the island. . . it was an impressive explosion from what
the Rosas could see
* Verederosa can indeed see it was an impressive explosion, the
corpse that was charging down on the gondola collapsing as if the
puppeteer's strings had been cut. She waves to Pietro and Rosalva,
calling, "Over here!" then scanning the island with increasing worry.
"Capitano?" she calls.
<Rosalva_Solario> where is Antonio?
<Rosalva_Solario> and Herr Von Riesen!
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> You'll notice none call for me..." he
grumbles as he shrugs off some bits of stone..and move to gather what
weapons he can find
* l`Aquila lifts himself up from the rubble, brushing himself
off as he looks at Ulrich. "She called for you. . . Brewmaster of Passua
<Rosalva_Solario> Are you both alright?
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "Indeed..Opa was quite the chemist.." nodded
slightly "Aside from a mildly maimed hand....no harm done..
* Rosalva_Solario will look about for any sight of the moor.
* Verederosa looks even more worried at Rosalva's comment and
she looks around - showing some relief at Ulrich's appearance, but she
tsks at his words. "You are too stubborn to die, only get more scarred."
She smiles in relief when she hears l'Aquila's voice and says, "Are you
hurt Capitano?" then turns to skewer Ulrich with a glance, "I already
know you are."
* l`Aquila lost his cloak somewhere. . . he stands in linen
shirt and pants and boots, covered in dirt and muck. He wipes off his
forehead and face with his sleeve and says "No worse for the wear. . .
Next time we bring charges on landfall missions. While I admire your
grandfather's brew, I'd hate to waste it like this again." He coughs and
looks at the chest that the Magister brought. . . hunched under the
* l`Aquila coughs as he says "No, just fine. What say we open
the corpse and see what we have out of this mess." He looks for the lamp
and spots it on the ground as well, he reaches out his sword and picks up
the lamp by the handle, letting it dangle from his sword.
<Rosalva_Solario> what a horrible thing to do to the dead...
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen looked the doctor right back in the eye... "Next time you can kill the superstitionalists and I'll patch the
wounded....I at least located the missing limb this time..." rummages for
the finger and holds it in his good Palm
<Rosalva_Solario> This time?
<Rosalva_Solario> Shoudl I be concerned that this happens often?
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Don't ask..." is all he said
<l`Aquila> On the contrary. This is the spice of life, Signora
Solario. . .
<l`Aquila> "Without facing the impossible, how would you know
you're still alive." He flips the tip of the sword in the direction of
Rosalva saying "Catch, a gift for your new collection."
* Verederosa raises an eyebrow at him and says, "very well, next
time I shall." in a tone that sounds like it should be accompanied by a
tongue being stuck out in disrespect - but she smiles at the sight of the
finger, reaching her hand out to take it if he'll let her. "Bene, this
makes it much easier."
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen allows it
* Rosalva_Solario will catch the lamp and look it over
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> The Moor escaped...we should send men to his
<l`Aquila> And don't disrespect Rosa, Ulrich. . . otherwise she'll
sew a monkey's hand to your nether regions. And don't think I don't know
* l`Aquila nods as he says "Firenze's looking over it now."
* Rosalva_Solario will put the lamp in her bag.
* l`Aquila touches the chest, and then starts to open it. . .
<Rosalva_Solario> can we got back to the lodge or my home I want
to get cleaned up.
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Of course Captain..." as he does a weapons
* Verederosa bats long lashes innocently at l'Aquila "Me?" then
winks briefly before she sets to work digging in her pack for the proper
unguents to preserve the finger until she can reattach it properly.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen nodded to The Captain...and then assumed his
* Rosalva_Solario will find a place to be seated and let her
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen finished his weapons check...retrieving the
Landerskeen... "That Old superstitionalist I gutted....anybody know about
* l`Aquila The interior of the chest contains a few
scrolls, a small stack of gold. . . and a gleaming red orb. A blood red
sphere the size of a large cherry, set on a jet black chain. It sits among
the gold and jewels. . . l'Aquila lifts the chain with his sword and
* l`Aquila 4« 3· 2 The old Superstitionist lies dead near the chest, right
where Ulrich left him. . .
<Rosalva_Solario> Oh My goodness...
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen eyes the chest...
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Profitable evening...
* l`Aquila shrugs as he lets the chain sink back into the
treasure chest. "Not so common for someone with mystic abilities to wish
for Gold and Jewels." l'Aquila looks over the chest. "Yes, indeed. We
leave it closed and let the Lodge deal with it. . . I don't trust it."
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Even the Gold itself...I mean the
scrolls..and the oddity surely..however...that Gold" said the High guild
* l`Aquila Pietro Moro looks at the Jewel with a hungry eye. "I don't
think it's that dangerous."
* l`Aquila looks at Ulrich and Pietro "What superstitionist
wants payment for a powerful artifact in gold?"
<l`Aquila> With that lamp, he could have had all the riches in the
<l`Aquila> What made this chest a worthwhile exchange. . . hmm?
* l`Aquila sticks the tip of the sword into the ground, lightly
fingering the hilt. . .
<Rosalva_Solario> what about the scrolls?
<Verederosa> "A superstitionist who either wants another
artifact of power that is made of gold and jewels - or one who knows what
he sells is cursed."
<Rosalva_Solario> Maybe they have some manner of knowledge the lamp
could not give him?
* l`Aquila looks at the scrolls as he says "Possibly. . . would
you risk reading them, Signora Solario?"
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen raised a eyebrow...thinking what a useful
young woman she was turning out to be
<Rosalva_Solario> I do not even know they are in a language I can
<Rosalva_Solario> I believe we should take it back to the lodge.
* Verederosa has tucked the finger away carefully in her rather
battered bag, and she straightens up, going to check the others for
injuries, pausing to ask Ulrich first, "Have you any other injuries?"
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Aye....The Lodge...I just..well...my greed
get the better of me at times..." shrugged slightly "Bruses...some
Bumps.....nothing that time a exercise won't make strong again in a day or
* l`Aquila nods as he says "Indeed" we take it to the lodge. He
closes the chest and says "Nicolo, get the boat around. Pietro, help me
carry the chest. . . unless you feel strong enough to help, Herr von
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen bent down to heft the Chest.... "Lead the
way...." the burly German lifted it easily...
* Verederosa nods at Ulrich, then turns towards Rosalva and
Pietro to check them out as well. "Do you have any wounds that need
<Rosalva_Solario> I am fine thank you Verederosa.
* Rosalva_Solario smiles a little but looks a bit on the tired
* l`Aquila Pietro lifts the other end easily enough as
l'Aquila says "Take it to the Gondola. . . I will join you shortly."
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> I am going to have to give one of you a
nickname....too many damn rosa's" moved on towards the Gondola
<Rosalva_Solario> Some consider it good to be surrounded by Roses.
* l`Aquila looks down at where the Moor disappeared, then up at
the skies, then towards where the Djinn was, furrowing his eyebrows as he
started marking off with paces.
* Verederosa smiles at Rosalva and says, "I believe we are all a
little tired after this." Nicolo doesn't seem to have had any injuries,
and Verederosa turns to l'Aquila, chuckling at Rosalva and Ulrich before
she says, "Capitano?" moving over towards him, and following his gaze then
looking back at his predatory profile. "Are you well?"
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> Just more thorns to worry about if you ask
me..." though it was in his less gravelly threatening tone...she might
realize by now that passes for friendly with the brute
* Rosalva_Solario will watch Antonio a little and then walk over
to the Gondola where it is being loaded.
<l`Aquila> Signoria Solario. . . not so quickly
* Rosalva_Solario will stop.
<Rosalva_Solario> Did You need something Antonio?
<l`Aquila> Yes. . . take a reading of the stars. . . we'll want to
work out the geometry and triangulation for the moor. . . perhaps get an
understanding of where he went.
* l`Aquila Ulrich is able to get the chest into the
Gondola. Pietro looks at Ulrich saying "So what do you suppose will
happen to all this treasure?"
* l`Aquila looks at Verederosa. "I am fine. No more than minor
<l`Aquila> Are you well? Harmed?
* Rosalva_Solario will nod and try to find a place to set up her
equipment at least what she was able to bring with her and begin to work
upon what she was asked.
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "It will probly go to the Lodge's coffers.." shrugs
* Rosalva_Solario will check the Map and check where the stars
are now checking for random events.
* l`Aquila Pietro looks at the chest saying "A shame. .
. do you suppose they'd miss . . . some. . . if it were to dissapear?"
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> No....but you'd miss the hand that reached
for them..." he said...simply...and looked up towards the captain and the
* Rosalva_Solario will unroll a map of the city and go to work.
* l`Aquila Pietro "Ah. . . I see. . . You aren't tempted even a bit?"
* l`Aquila Pietro "How do you maintain such honor in the face
of such temptation, Herr von Riesen?" 3· 4»
* l`Aquila shouts out a number to Rosalva "Twenty two mark. . .
three. . . at a . . . 33 degree angle to Polaris"
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "I'm making more money by staying true to my
contract with the Captain" 6stated simply
* l`Aquila Pietro says "Oh, it's not the money. . . that
necklace would be a lovely bauble around my beloved Signora Solario's
neck. . . "
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "If you want I could offer you a much safer
loan of money to purchase a bauble for your beloved bosom..." he said
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> I even know a good jeweler...
* l`Aquila Pietro considers saying "Oh, but not THAT
jewel. . . so red. . . what do you suppose it is, Herr von Reisen?"
* Rosalva_Solario will nods and start to scribe down
calculations she takes the longer necklace around her neck and will start
to move parts of something she holds it up to the sky checking something.
* l`Aquila speaks again "And . . . . 43 degrees to Polaris. . .
* Verederosa nods and fades back, leaving the navigator and
captain to thrash out the details amongst themselves - the calculations
making little sense to her. She starts to head back to the boat to get out
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen eyed the man "It seems a ruby to me
Lad...better to place it out of your mind...focus more on what the Jewel
would lay upon....you'll find better rewards there"
* Rosalva_Solario will continue making notes and taking calculations. She seems to be completely absorbed by this.
* l`Aquila Nicolo looks to Verederosa saying "Pardon me, Signora Medico. .
. but have you seen my leg?"
* l`Aquila Nicolo stands on one foot, leaning on his
arquebus. . . "Not that I need it, but I find myself attached to it. . .
well, until lately."
* l`Aquila says calls from where the explosion was. "And . . . "
he looks up with another small tool at Polaris. "42 degrees . . . 212
* l`Aquila Pietro stares at the chest, then closes his
eyes and shakes his head. "So have you fought in many of these battles,
Herr von Reisen?
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "I have..." the scar faced German said as
he took a seat -on- the chest "Your new to your Lodge then?"
* Rosalva_Solario will jot that down going over small
calculations in her own head speaking softly and outloud.
* Verederosa blinks and looks at Nicolo - he'd seemed fine but
evidently not. She gasps as she gets look at his injury in the starlight
and guides him to sit on a crypt, making sure it's clear of body parts
first, and she turns him to get a better look at the damage.
* l`Aquila Pietro stands proudly. "My father was part of the lodge, and I
have been part of the lodge for two years. In Venice."
* l`Aquila The leg has healed over rather well. It's an old wound. . .
* l`Aquila Nicolo says "My leg fell off a bit in the explosion, but I'm
not sure where it got off to. . . I could get another one, but frankly I
was attached to THAT one, you see. . . most unreasonable to prefer one
over another, but it's been good to me"
* Verederosa swats his knee and she says, "You are teasing me Nicolo." Still, she looks up at him and smiles, saying, "Certainly. I will
try to find it, you sit down and relax. You are deserving of a rest after
coming to my aid in such a timely manner."
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen nods "My Father brought me into the Guild
* Rosalva_Solario will makes some marks on a piece of paper she
has check some star charts compare a map of the island to a map of the
* l`Aquila Nicolo says "Oh, not yet, ma'am . . . I'll go prepare the
gondola. I just can't get around quite so fast. . .
* l`Aquila The maps don't match up. Wherever the moor is, it's not
in Venice. . . "
* l`Aquila sighs as he walks up to Rosalva "Any luck?"
<Rosalva_Solario> He is not in Venice...
<Rosalva_Solario> I need more of my maps to find him..
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> I was officially a member at....16..." thinks
about it a moment... "25 years now?"
* Verederosa nods and says, "Very well, but be careful." then
she pokes around at the scattered limbs - it's remarkably hard to find an
artificial foot amongst the corpses, so she's looking for one that clunks
when she nudges it with a toe, rather than squishes.
* l`Aquila Pietro nods as he says "Same as I then. . . age 16, brought
into the lodge. . . my father thought it would be good for me to go into
* l`Aquila Verederosa finds a strange smashed bit of Murano glass as she
toes around the corpses. . .
* l`Aquila shakes his head as he says "Alright, we'll go to the
lodge and see what we can find.
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> My Father thought the same....I started a
Merchant guard for him around that time.....did that till I
was...what....21..22...then began captaining my own business of Merchant
* l`Aquila The prosthetic is right next to it. . .
* Rosalva_Solario will start to pack up her things and after
they are together she will rise. She folds and labels the calculations she
* Verederosa leans down and picks up the foot, wiping some of
the gunk away - then carefully tries to pick up the smashed glass, holding
it up to the starlight to try to figure out what it used to be.
<Rosalva_Solario> this isn't the place to be doing these things
* Rosalva_Solario will stand carefully brush off her clothing
and turn for the Gondola.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen looks down at his blood soaked sleeve and
missing digit....with a annoyed expression
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "Sloppy workmanship there....sloppy..." muttered to himself in German
* Verederosa is not about to sew anyone's finger on in the dark,
for fear of getting it on backwards - but she gathers what shards she can
of the smashed glass and slips it into a thin leather pouch for later
examination, probably getting a good chunk of mud in with it. She tucks it
into her medical bag before she turns back to Nicolo, saying, "I found
it!" waving the foot in question as she heads back to the gondola.
<Rosalva_Solario> Shall we head back now Antonio?
* l`Aquila Nicolo moves to the Gondola and starts to work with the ties,
grabbing the pole.
* l`Aquila nods to Rosalva saying "Yes. Might as well. . . let's
go to the lodge. . . "
* l`Aquila Nicolo smiles to Verederosa smiling as he
says "oh, Signora, Gratze! Thank you so much!" He takes the
starts to reattach it to his leg, tying it off under his pants.
* Rosalva_Solario nods and walks over to the Gondola. taking one
last sad look back at things before looking back at the boat judging the
best way to get on board.
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen stands and offers her a hand
* Rosalva_Solario will take Herr Von Riessen's hand and step
onto the boat carefully.
* l`Aquila returns to the gondola and sits down saying "Back to
the lodge then, steady as she goes. . . we have everyone?" Pietro says
"Gondolier's dead, captain. . . "
* l`Aquila nods as he says "Pietro, you're a strong young man. .
. you take the pole from Nicolo. . . Back to the lodge."
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen nods and helps her steady herself and then
goes back to sitting atop the chest...
* Rosalva_Solario will frown and pull down her veil she touches
the cross she wears and will pray softly for the man they lost.
* Verederosa smiles at Nicolo, but still, she studies his leg
for a long moment before settling in a seat of the gondola, as out of the
way as she can get. She feels bad for the gondolier - but her skills do
not extend to restoring the dead.
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "We will be sending somebody for the body?"
* Verederosa looks at Ulrich, saying worriedly, "I think that
someone will have to come back to identify him, amongst the other corpses
- and bring men to rebury the dead." She looks to l'Aquila, saying, "If
you wish I could manage such matters."
* l`Aquila nods as he says "Yes, we'll send priests to the
island. Give them a proper burial."
* Ulrich-Von`Riessen nodded slightly
* l`Aquila nods to Verederosa "Yes, take charge of it. . .
Montressor will want to go out there too, most likely. . . you'll get to
work with the crusader.
<Rosalva_Solario> So horrible.. those poor souls...
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> "Better her than me..." chuckled slightly
* Verederosa smiles at Ulrich, saying, "They do not bother me,
they are but the dead." Looking at Rosalva, she says, "We can but pray
that their souls are safe in heaven, and it is but the earthly clay that
was disturbed. A proper reburial should ensure their continued peace."
* l`Aquila does not smirk. He just looks tired, as the lights of
the city of venice draw closer, as they move from the island of the dead.
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> I meant Montressor Doctor..." he said...
* Verederosa laughs at Ulrich, saying, "Ah, the living are
another matter. Perhaps I will become better acquainted with him." she
<Ulrich-Von`Riessen> He's a good enough man.....the fact I fight
for money and not God irks him... 6shrugged tiredly
End of Chapter 2