|<< Previous||Next >>|
Empress of Scotland was one of only five Canadian Pacific passenger ships to survive the war. The company discontinued the Pacific service, and she was transferred to the Atlantic, joining Empress of Canada (II) and Empress of France (II). She returned to Liverpool in May 1948, and in October was sent to her original builder, Fairfields at Glasgow, for an extensive refit. This included enclosing the Promenade Deck with glass in order to protect against the North Atlantic weather.
She was painted once again in CPS white livery, now with a green band, and the company's red and white chequered house flag insignia was added to each buff funnel. The Palm Court was renamed the 'Cocktail Room', an "Empress Room" was introduced, and the Empress of Scotland emerged once again as a luxury liner.
On May 9, 1950, Empress of Scotland sailed on her first post-war commercial voyage from Liverpool to Quebec. She set a new speed record for the route and was now the holder of the unofficial 'Blue Riband' for both the Pacific and Atlantic Canadian routes.
As Canadian Pacific's flagship, she was the largest and fastest vessel on the UK to Canada service, effectively filling the gap left by the loss of Empress of Britain. Empress of Scotland arrived in New York in December 1950 to start her first ever cruise, which was also Canadian Pacific's first post-war cruise. In recognition of her distinguished wartime service she was feted by the Americans, and escorted to her berth by a US destroyer -- the first time the US Navy had afforded such a privilege to a merchant vessel.
|Copyright © 2003-14 P J Sharp|