Views of White Street
This is a view of what is now the 200 block of West White taken from Poplar St. looking east. This type of postcard were the first to be sold in town dating around 1900.
This view of West White was taken from Walnut St. looking east toward Market St. The church on the left is the Methodist Church, which moved to East White in 1926. The church was sold to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in 1930 for $8,000. The Lutheran and Presbyterian Churches are visible down the block.
This picture was taken from Chestnut Street looking east toward Oak St.
The postcard says it is West White, but actually it's the east end taken from Oak St. looking east toward Pine St. The tracks leading down White St. and turning down Oak St. are the Trolley tracks. The 'mark' at the top of the photo is actually a street light over the intersection.
Views of Holland Street
Here is a great picture I found at a paper show in Allentown. It is a Switch-Back car coming off the turn from the Depot Station and about to head down Holland Street. Children often chased the cars as they entered and left town hoping riders would throw them some change, as seen in this picture. The picture dates to the mid-1910s.
This is a view of Holland Street looking east. The Switch-Back tracks are coming off the turn from the Station in the area of what is now the Park Apartments.
The four pictures above are from the SwitchBack as it ran from Holland Street down into Stoney Lonesome. The top two are from what is now the Pine Street intersection. The area to the right is now where the Mobil Staion is located.
View of 'Hassard' Street
This is a view of Hassard (Hazard) street looking east. Note that Hassard is spelled incorrectly.
View of Market Street
This is a view of Market Street from Hazard looking south. The Welsh Baptist Church is seen on left. This church was built in the 1860s(?) by the congregation led by the Rev. David Evans. There was no Baptismal facilities on the property so members were baptized in the breaker cistern. The congregation disbanded in 1914 with some changing denomination and others joined the Lansford Baptist Church. In 1933 the building was purchased and St. Gabriel's Club was formed, which still operates today.
View of Chestnut Street
This is a view of Chestnut Street looking north. The church on the left is St. Philip's Episcopal and in the background is St. Paul's German Reformed.
Please click on the buttons below to view more pictures of Summit Hill.