St. Joseph's Catholic Church
In 1849 LC&N donated land at the west end of town for a Catholic church and cemetery. The building and Parsonage were completed in the early 1880s. The rectory connected to the church was torn down on July 11, 1988 and major exterior renovations were finished in 1989. This is how it looked around 1905.
St. Paul's Reformed & Lutheran Church
The original Reformed-Lutheran Church building and interior. A few of the pews from this building still exsist.
St. Paul's German Reformed Church
St. Paul's United Church of Christ was organized in 1865 as the German Reformed and Evangelical Lutheran Churches. Lot numbers 26 and 28 of West Hazard Street were purchased for $200 from LC&N and the congregation erected a house of worship on November 19, 1865. In 1895 St. Paul's adopted a constitution that resulted in a split of the Lutheran and German Reformed congregations. The Lutherans received all the money in the joint treasury and the Reformed congregation all the property, both real and personal. The German Reformed Church was rebuilt in 1905. This is how the new building looked a few years after completion in 1910.
St. Paul's Lutheran Church
In 1865, the chapter of Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Paul included the St. Paul's German Reformed (see above). A cornerstone was laid at 121-123 West White in 1895 and the building was completed in 1897. On March 24, 1901 the bell was consecrated. The spire was removed in 1926 (lower picture). This picture was snapped around 1905.
This is the Rev. Henry H. Davis. He was the first Pastor of the Methodist church and he served the congregations of Summit Hill, Nesquehoning, and Parryville. This is a photo from J. Brown which dates to the late 1860s
The original Methodist Church that was used by parishoners was a one-story frame church built on a lot donated by the L.C.& N. on West White Street in 1872. In 1888 the building was raised and a stone foundation put under it and the wing on the west side of the building added in 1893 (top photo). A parsonage and lot on the corner of Oak and White was purchased in 1921 and that building was moved to the back of the lot. The present brick building was dedicated in 1926 (bottom photo).
St. Philip's Episcopal Church
The history of St. Philip's is associated with St. Mark's Church in Mauch Chunk. The Rev. Peter Russell, rector of St. Mark's, tended to a few families in Summit Hill. He performed the first baptism in town on September 13, 1845. On November 22, 1849 a parish was incorporated and the next year a building was erected and the Rev. Russell was the first Pastor. On July of 1850, the cornerstone was laid with the assistance of Rt. Rev. Alonzo Potter, the Bishop of the Diocese. It was finished 5 months later and the building was consecrated by Bishop Potter.
St. Philip's was also called the 'Bell Church' for many years because it was the only church in town to have a bell to call its parishoners. The church closed in October 1977 when it merged with the Triniity Church of Lansford.
St. Stanilaus Church
The St. Stanilaus parish was established in 1924. Until the church was finished the following year, Polish Parishoners worshipped at St. Joseph's Church. In 1925, the church, school, rectory, and convent was dedicated on the corner of Market and Hazard Streets.
The Lincoln Building
The Lincoln School was built in 1875 and held all classes until the Washington school was built in 1911. The school was located at Market and Hazard Streets and held the town clock. This is the Market Street side of the school. It closed in 1954 and was torn down 10 years later to make way for the Post Office.