Independent Battery "A" Schaffer's Battery Pennsylvania Volunteers
Gebhard Moll enlisted in Independent Battery "A", Schaffer's Battery Pennsylvania Volunteers in August 1861. Battery A was recruited in the city of Philadelphia, and it's original strength was eighty men. It was mustered into service on the 19th of September, at the Filbert Street Arsenal.
It was sent to Fort Delaware where it performed heavy artillery duty during its entire term of service. In July, 1863, it was re-inforced by new recruits, bringing its strength up to one hundred and fifty men.
At the conclusion of the original term of three years, most of the men, whose terms then expired, were mustered out, and recruits were again received in sufficient numbers to preserve its strength at one hundred and fifty. It was mustered out of service at Camp Cadwalader, on the 30th of June, 1865. Camp Cadwalader (1861 - 1865) was located on Islington Lane east of Ridge Road (Ave.) in Philadelphia.
Gebhard Moll was listed as a deserter on August 10th, 1862. No other information is available about his life.