Charles M. Moll
20th PA Cavalary, Company "M".
The regiment was origionally recruited for a 6 month term of service during the summer of 1863, however the 20th Cavlary was re-organized for 3 years in early 1864. In May 1864, the regiment was assigned to the Federal troops operating in the Shenendoah Valley of western Virginia.
The 20th Cav. was engaged at the Battle of New Market on May 15th with some losses, and in the June operations that resulted in the retreat from Lynchburg. Thereafter, the 20th fought at Winchester on July 24th, making a daring charge in the battle. In an attack on the rear of Early's column at Ashby's gap, a few days later, it met with a loss of 108 killed, wounded and missing. Afterwards the regiment was sent to perform garrision duty near Harper's Ferry.
In Feburary 1865, the 20th Cav. participated in a raid near Lynchburg, then in March moved to Petersburg, fighting at White Oak Road and Five Forks (March 31st - April 1st).
Following Lee's surrender at Appomoattox, the 20th was consolodated with the 2nd Cavalry as the 1st Provisional Cavalry on June 17th. It was mustered out on July 13th, 1865 at Cloud's mills, Va.
The regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 22 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 100 Enlisted men by disease. Total 128.
Fought on 14 June 1864 at New Glasgow, VA.
Fought on 18 June 1864 at Lynchburg, VA.
Fought on 19 June 1864 at Lynchburg, VA.
Fought on 20 June 1864 at Staunton, VA.
Fought on 21 June 1864 at Salem, VA.
Fought on 24 June 1864 at Winchester, VA.
Fought on 03 July 1864 at Martinsburg, WV.
Fought on 10 July 1864 at Frederick, MD.
Fought on 15 July 1864 at Gauley Bridge, WV.
Fought on 15 July 1864 at Martinsburg, WV.
Fought on 19 July 1864 at Ashby's Gap, VA.
Fought on 12 March 1865 at Howardsville, VA.
Fought on 31 March 1865 at Dinwiddie Court House, VA.
Fought on 01 April 1865 at Five Forks, VA.
Fought on 02 April 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 06 April 1865 at Appomattox Court House, VA.
Fought on 09 April 1865 at Appomattox Court House, VA.