Character Education: Using adjectives to describe friendship
Goal: We will create a flower using adjectives to describe a friend.
Core Curriculum Skills: adjectives, read and respond to fiction and nonfiction
PA Standards: 1.1E, 1.4B, 1.6A, 1.6C, 1.6D, 1.6E
Think Aloud: I will model/discuss:
1. Adjectives about my friend.
2. We are learning about friendship, and I found a beautiful story and poem.
1. A Friend by Betsey Jones Michael
2. Friends Forever taken from a story by Ann Morris
1. Think/Pair/Share- Students will process what they’ve read and make their own personal connections to their friendships.
2. Create a chart while students pair/share and brainstorm adjectives (pair/share about words) to describe friends.
3. Discuss friendship list.
4. Graphic Organizer- Pair/share an adjective that describes your friend, and give a sentence explaining why. The children will then begin to fill in their web using 5 adjectives and 5 sentences describing their friend. These adjectives and sentences will then be transferred to a flower template to be displayed.
1. What was your favorite part of this lesson?
2. What did you learn about friendship?
Students will go onto www.english-zone.com for further practice in finding adjectives on this interactive website.