The Choice Quiz
Consequences of tough moral decisions
For each question, ask yourself: Would you consider recommending an abortion?
1. A preacher and his wife are very, very poor. They already have 14 children! Now she finds shes pregnant again.
2. The father has syphilis; the mother tuberculosis. They have had four children: one blind, one deaf and one with TB like the mother. Now the mother is pregnant.
3. A baby is born crippled and a dwarf. If that outcome had been predicted with prenatal testing/screening, would you recommend an abortion?
4. A white man raped a 13-year-old black girl and got her pregnant.
5. A poor teenage girl is pregnant and unmarried. Her soldier father disowns her and the unborn child. She considers naming the child after the father and raising the child while bearing the disgrace of illegitimacy.
6. A teenage girl is pregnant and unmarried. Her fiancé is not the father.
All six of these scenarios actually happened. Now lets see what the results would have been if your answer for each was yes, abort and the people involved had accepted pro-choice rhetoric and terminated the pregnancy.
1. If you recommended the minister and his wife abort, you would have successfully prevented the founding of the Methodist religious revival in England. Youve just killed John Wesley.
2. Imagine a world a few symphonies and sonatas poorer: by recommending a tough moral decision in this case, you have killed Ludwig van Beethoven.
3. Who needs more poets anyway? Who needs stuff like The Rape of the Lock? Youve just ordered the death of Alexander Pope.
4. The founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger, was a committed eugenicist who like the Nazis wanted to rid the world of races she considered unfit. She would be pleased here, because by recommending an abortion you have just silenced forever the voice of black blues singer Ethel Waters.
5. Some people really hate Christmas, but this takes the cake. By advocating choice, you have killed Father Josef Mohr, the lyricist and co-composer of one of the worlds most beloved carols, Silent Night.
6. If you answered yes to this one, you have ordered the death of Jesus Christ.
Many thanks to the American Life League, P.O. Box 1350, Stafford, VA 22555, USA for these history lessons.