Try this Passover sponge cake recipe: a pineapple-nut sponge cake recipe that uses cake meal for the Passover / Pesach festival (or Jewish Passover as some people refer to it). Many sponge cake recipes can have lots of fat in them, but this sponge cake recipe has only 1 gram of saturated fat in it. Not bad as far as cakes go. The following recipe for sponge cake is great for concluding a Passover Seder meal or for any other meal during the Passover / Pesach festival.
Pineapple-Nut Passover Sponge Cake Recipe (Approximate Preparation Time: 30 minutes)
3/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cake meal
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 egg whites
2/3 cup superfine sugar, divided
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
12 tablespoons pineapple juice concentrate
1/2 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Instructions for the Pineapple-Nut Passover Sponge Cake recipe:
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch (22.86 centimeter) angel food cake pan with a doughnut-shaped piece of wax paper, notching around the cut center circle every inch. Do not grease the pan. Set aside.
- Sift together the potato starch, cake meal, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- With an electric mixer beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Turn speed to high; sprinkle in 1/3 cup of the sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
- With an electric mixer beat the egg yolks until light.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, the lemon and orange peels and the pineapple juice concentrate.
- Beat on high speed until well blended.
- Using a wooden spoon stir about 1/2 cup of the beaten whites into the yolks.
- Then pour all of the yolk mixture over the beaten egg whites. Fold in by hand in 12 strokes. Sift the dry ingredients over and continue folding another
- Sprinkle on and fold in the nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing out the top.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius or Centigrade) oven 55 minutes. The top should be lightly brown and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Invert the cake pan on a rack and cool completely.
- Run a thin knife around the edges and unmold the cake.
- Remove the wax paper.
- Wrap well until ready to serve.
- Just before serving sift the powdered sugar over the top of the cake and cut into wedges.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Data Per Serving: Calories: 197; Protein: 6 grams; Fat: 7 grams; Carbohydrates: 29 grams; Sodium: 91 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Monounsaturated Fat: 1 gram; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gram; Cholesterol: 70 milligrams.