A salmon recipe for the Passover / Pesach festival has many versions. A salmon recipe created by Sephardic Jews (Jews whose ancestors came from either Spain or Portugal) will usually consist of an exotic mixture of ingredients that are available in the community where the Sephardic family lives. Since the late 15th century, Sephardim have spread out from Spain and Portugal, settling across North Africa, southern Europe, and the Middle East, creating unique salmon recipes by adding ingredients to salmon recipes that have been available where they live. As far as healthy eating is concerned, you can't go wrong with most salmon recipes, depending on the other ingredients in the salmon recipe. The following salmon recipe for the Passover / Pesach festival contains broccoli to enhance healthy eating for the festival.
Salmon Recipe With Broccoli (Preparation time: 35 minutes; Cooking time: 4 to 10 minutes)
2 fresh salmon steaks, about 1/2 lb. (250 grams) each
1/2 cup Passover dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
1 bunch fresh broccoli
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon matzo cake meal
3/4 cup 10 per cent cream
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or parsley or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Instructions for the Salmon recipe with Broccoli:
- Wipe fish with a damp paper towel; dry.
- Set steaks in a 9-inch (22.86 centimeter) square microwave-safe pan facing in opposite directions.
- Add wine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and cook 2 minutes on High (100 per cent power) in a microwave oven.
- The fish will not be completely cooked. [If using a conventional oven, cook fish uncovered, 10 minutes in a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius or Centigrade) oven.]
- Transfer salmon to a plate.
- Remove skin, bones and any dark parts; flake fish.
- Strain and reserve liquid.
- Remove leaves from broccoli stems and discard.
- Wash broccoli carefully to remove any insects.
- Cut broccoli into flowerets and include 1 inch (2.54 centimters) of stem.
- Cut remaining stem into 1-inch pieces (2.54 centimeters of pieces).
- Place broccoli and water in a 1-quart (0.95 liters) microwave-safe casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and cook on High in a microwave oven for 4 minutes (or cook broccoli on top of stove in boiling water for 3 minutes.)
- Drain broccoli and arrange attractively in a casserole.
- Add flaked salmon.
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan on top of stove.
- Add cake meal, stir and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add cream and reserved fish liquid.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- If it does not thicken enough, sprinkle another tablespoon of cake meal over the liquid.
- Stir until it becomes smooth.
- Cook 1 more minute.
- Add salt, dill, parsley or basil.
- Pour over salmon and broccoli in casserole.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- If salmon was cooked in the microwave oven, return to microwave oven and heat through for 2 minutes on High before serving. (If a conventional oven is used, do not heat further, serve immediately.)
Makes 3 to 4 servings.
Note: This is a dairy recipe and suitable for meals during the week of Passover.