Try this cheesecake recipe (or cheese cake recipe) for the Passover / Pesach festival. There are many dessert recipes for cakes and pies that can be adapted for the Passover / Pesach festival, but they are usually high in fat. The following cheese cake recipe is low-fat, as it uses low-fat cream cheese and low-fat sour cream to make this cheesecake recipe produce a healthier-than-normal cheesecake to serve as a Passover / Pesach dessert.
Honey Passover Cheesecake Recipe
For the Matzo Meal Tart Shell:
1 cup matzo meal
1 cup softened butter
1 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
For the cheesecake:
1 pound low-fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups low-fat sour cream, divided use
1 cup honey, divided use
2 teaspoons vanilla, divided use
Kiwi and Strawberries, for garnish, if desired
Instructions for the Tart Shell recipe:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius or Centigrade).
- Process matzo meal in food processor until very fine.
- Cut butter into meal until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine water and honey and mix well.
- Sprinkle water mixture over matzo mixture.
- Mix lightly to form dough; shape into ball.
- Press dough into bottom of 9-inch (22.86-centimeter) springform pan with removable bottom.
- Bake 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Cool completely.
Instructions for the Cheesecake recipe:
- Heat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius or Centigrade).
- Beat cream cheese with cup sour cream at low speed until very smooth.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons honey and gradually beat remaining honey into cream cheese mixture.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time; add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into cooled crust.
- Bake 45 minutes or until knife blade inserted at center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Raise oven temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius or Centigrade).
- Combine 1 cups sour cream, reserved 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix well.
- Carefully spread over top of cheesecake.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius or Centigrade) for 8 minutes, or until edges pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool at room temperature then refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Remove sides of pan and, if desired, garnish with sliced kiwi and strawberries.