THE VLADIMIR PALACE
Residence of the Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich
Situated on the banks of the Neva River, the palace of the Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich and his wife, the
||| Back to the Royal Russia News Archive |||
||| Royal Russia Bulletin - Our Official Blog. Updated Daily With News Clips, Videos & Photographs |||
||| The Romanovs ||| The Reign of Nicholas II ||| Royal Russia Videos ||| Romanov & Imperial Russia Links |||
||| Our Bookshop: Books on the Romanovs & Imperial Russia ||| Gilbert's Books - Publisher of Books on the Romanovs |||
||| What's New @ Royal Russia - Updated Monthly |||
||| Return to Royal Russia - Directory ||| Return to Royal Russia - Main Page |||
Language: Russian. Duration: 14 minutes, 10 seconds
Like the Winter Palace and the Marble Palace, the Vladimir Palace is situated on the Palace Embankment overlooking the Neva River and the Peter and Paul Fortress. The construction of residences along the banks of the Neva was extremely prized by both members of the Russian Imperial family and the Russian aristocracy.
The architecture and decor is dominated by eclecticism typical of the time. The monumental façade is richly ornamented with stucco rustication, and was patterned after Leon Battista Alberti's Palazzo Rucellai in Florence. It includes Venetian glass windows that emphasise the affinity of the building with Italian architecture. The main porch is built of Bremen sandstone and adorned with griffins, coats-of-arms, and cast-iron lanterns. Other details are cast in Portland cement.
The palace and its outbuildings contain some 360 rooms. Each room of the luxurious apartments of the palace are all decorated in disparate historic styles: Neo-Renaissance (reception room, parlour), Gothic Revival (dining room), Russian Revival (Oak Hall), Rococo (White Hall), Byzantine style (study), Louis XIV, various oriental styles, and so on. This interior ornamentation, further augmented by Maximilian Messmacher in 1880-1892, is considered a major monument to the 19th-century passion for historicism.
Until 1917 the palace was one of the main centres of social life in St Petersburg, the venue of countless musical and literary nights and balls. Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna was regarded as one of the most illustrious socialites and renowned for her musicality; her salon was frequented by the likes of Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov and Chaliapin.
After the October Revolution, the palace was handed over to scientists and renamed the Academics House. As a consequence its interior has been preserved to a greater extent than other Romanov family residences and is one of the few places in St. Petersburg where the historic decor of 19th century Russia has remained practically intact.
But most importantly - there is nothing of the stuffiness of a classical museum about the place, no red ropes to cordon things off, etc. As you wander across the slightly squeaky parquet floor and watch your guide open yet another heavy door with a huge key, it feels almost as if the owners of the place had only just left the building.
Also preserved has been much of Vladimir's collection of late 19th-century porcelain, most of it manufactured in the Imperial Porcelain Factory, and painted or decorated by its leading artists. The collection has been preserved in photographic detail in a handsome catalogue published in 2006.
For me personally, this palace brings back fond memories of past tours that I have organized to St. Petersburg, many of which always included a visit to this magnificent palace. The curator of the palace-museum would greet us in the foyer and lead us up the marble staircase into the Crimson Drawing Room. It was here that we would be invited to sit and drink champagne while our hostess would regale us with tales of its former illustrious owners. This would be followed by a tour of the palace rooms, which included the Grand Duke’s magnificent study and library, and the Moorish Drawing Room in which hung a portrait of the only daughter of the Grand Ducal couple, the Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna. The tour always ended with a delicious supper in the oak-panelled dining room.
Today, the Vladimir Palace is home to the Club of Scholars of the Russian Academy of Science. Sadly, it is one of those special places that normally remain undiscovered by the average tourist. The Vladimir Palace is open to the general public daily except Sundays; it is a good idea to book a guided tour (available in Russian) in advance; call + 315 88 14 (entrance fee is RUB 30).
Compiled by Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia
The elegant staircase leads guests up to the first floor of the palace
The magnificent 19th-century porcelain collection of Grand Duke Vladimir, most of it manufactured in the Imperial Porcelain Factory,