Grand Ducal Chapel
Crowned With New Cross
The Grand Ducal Chapel, St. Petersburg
||| THE ROMANOVS
||| REIGN OF NICHOLAS II
||| ROYAL RUSSIA NEWS
||| ROYAL RUSSIA VIDEOS |||
||| VISIT OUR ROMANOV BOOKSHOP ||| ROMANOV & RUSSIAN LINKS ||| WHAT'S NEW @ ROYAL RUSSIA & GILBERT'S ROYAL BOOKS |||
||| RETURN TO ROYAL RUSSIA - DIRECTORY ||| RETURN TO WELCOME TO ROYAL RUSSIA |||
The original cross was dismantled in 1920, and like most symbols of faith during the Soviet era disappeared, its fate to this day is still unknown. Only recently was an exact copy created. The original cross was made from a drawing by Empress Alexandra Feodorovna.
The installation of the cross is part of an exhaustive restoration of the burial chapel where uncrowned members of the Russian Imperial family are buried.
Thirteen grand dukes and grand duchesses were interred at the Grand Ducal Burial Chapel between 1908 and 1915, including eight burials transferred from the cathedral. No further burials were made until 1992, when Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich was buried here. In 1995, the remains of his parents, Grand Duke Kirill Vladimirovich and Grand Duchess Victoria Feodorovna, were transferred here from Coburg, Germany.
After the installation of the cross was completed, a solemn moment was enjoyed by all when the Peter and Paul Cathedral carillon played God Save the Tsar. The historic event was overseen by St. Petersburg Governor Valentina Matrenko.
by Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia