Staterooms of the Alexander Palace
to Open June 2010

First images of the former staterooms in the Alexander Palace which will open to the public in 2010
Source: NTV - in Russian

||| THE ROMANOVS ||| REIGN OF NICHOLAS II ||| ROYAL RUSSIA NEWS ||| ROYAL RUSSIA VIDEOS |||
|||
VISIT OUR ROMANOV BOOKSHOP ||| ROMANOV & RUSSIAN LINKS ||| WHAT'S NEW @ ROYAL RUSSIA & GILBERT'S ROYAL BOOKS |||
||| RETURN TO ROYAL RUSSIA - DIRECTORY ||| RETURN TO WELCOME TO ROYAL RUSSIA |||
The Alexander Palace has officially ceased to belong to the Ministry of Defense. The final arrangements to turn over the remainder of the palace and the former kitchen building, which is adjacent to the palace, are expected to be finalized by the end of November.

On October 22, 2009 the Territorial Federal Property Management Agency in St. Petersburg, ordered that the Alexander Palace be vacated by the Ministry of Defense and turned over to the Tsarskoe Selo State Museum-Reserve. Prior to this the palace had been under the administration of the Ministry of Defense since 1951.

According to the museum’s director, Olga Tatatynova. the Tsarskoe Selo State Museum-Reserve are currently making preparations for the restoration of the three central staterooms of the Alexander Palace. The restoration of the Portrait, Semi-Circular and Marble Halls will be allocated 370 million rubles from Federal funds.

Tatatynova noted that "the premises handed over to us are surprisingly well-preserved, intact and stressed that the premises did not require reconstruction, but only restoration.”

The museum has said that they have plans to open an exhibit next June dedicated to private world of Tsar Nicholas II and his family who preferred the Alexander Palace to the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg. The museum is also planning to open a cultural center dedicated to the history of the House of the Romanovs.

The cultural center will be housed in the former apartments of Nicholas I situated in the right wing of the palace, formerly occupied by the Ministry of Defense. The cultural center will include a library on the history of the Romanov dynasty, and will host film screenings and seminars. A restaurant is also planned whereby visitors may partake in dishes of the Imperial kitchen for the royal family.

Repair on the roof of the palace has been completed. Work is currently underway to restore the facades and porches of the palace and there are plans to landscape the grounds surrounding the palace. These projects, as well as the restoration of state rooms will continue over the winter and are expected to be completed for the 300th anniversary of Tsarskoe Selo in 2010. There are also plans to restore the underground passageway that led from the Imperial kitchen building to the palace.

After the last war, many items from the Alexander Palace were dispersed to other palaces and museums, such as Pavlovsk. Arrangements are now being made to have these items returned to the Alexander Palace where they will once again become part of the museum.

The Alexander Palace was built in 1792 by order of Catherine II. It was built for the wedding of her favorite grandson, Grand Duke Alexander Pavlovich to Grand Duchess Elizabeth Alekseyevna. In May 1796, the last year of the reign of the Empress, the construction was completed, and on June 12, 1796, Grand Duke Alexander Pavlovich and his wife moved into the new palace.

The architectural design of the Alexander Palace belongs to that of the famous Italian architect Giacomo Quarenghi, and the work was carried out under the supervision of architect P. Neyelov. Further interior restorations of the palace were carried out over the next 200 years by other prominent architects: L. Rusca, C. Makere, S. Cherfolio, A. Ton, VPStasov, D. Efimov, AI Stakenschneider, AF Species , SA Danini, R. Meltzer.

Paul Gilbert © Royal Russia
27 November, 2009


***Alexander Palace Restorations Updates***

Alexander Palace State Rooms Now Open
***23 June, 2010***

Alexander Palace to Become Multi-Museum and Exhibition Complex
***13 April, 2010***

Pavlovsk to Return Treasures to the Alexander Palace
***4 February, 2010***