Attorney General Appeals Decision to Hand
Over Historical Documents to Grand Duchess

Vladimir Solovyov refuses to provide copy of historical documents to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna

||| Back to the Royal Russia News Archive |||
||| Royal Russia Bulletin - Our Official Blog. Updated Daily With News Clips, Videos & Photographs |||
||| Royal Russia Video & Film Archive ||| Romanov & Imperial Russia Links |||
||| Our Bookshop: Books on the Romanovs & Imperial Russia ||| Gilbert's Books - Publisher of Books on the Romanovs |||
||| What's New @ Royal Russia - Updated Monthly |||
||| Return to Royal Russia - Directory ||| Return to Royal Russia - Main Page |||
The Attorney General's Office has appealed the decision of a Moscow Court, which last week ordered the Investigation Committee to hand over a copy of the criminal investigation into the murders of Tsar Nicholas II and his family to the Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, her lawyer says.

Thus, the court's decision on July 27, 2011 has not yet been complied with. German Lukyanov, lawyer for the Russian Imperial House said the appeal submission of the supervisory authority is based on the fact that the actions of the investigator Vladimir Solovyov, who refuses to give a copy of the historical documents to the grand duchess, is done so without prejudice and does not violate the law, reports RIA Novosti .

In turn, Lukyanov said that the Russian Imperial House cannot agree with this, noting that failure to examine the document denies the grand duchessí right to appeal any future decisions made, and that she plans to do so.

"The interests of the Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, are to examine the documents of the criminal investigation in order to know the truth about the death of her relatives, clearly and distinctly imagine on what grounds it is considered that found in Yekaterinburg remains belong to her family - members of the royal family" - added the lawyer. Date of hearing in the Judicial Board on Civil Cases of the Moscow City Court has not yet been set.

The last Russian Emperor Nicholas II, his family and several servants were murdered in Ekaterinburg on July 17, 1918. The investigation of their deaths has been closed and reopened several times over the past few years. In January 2009, the investigator dropped the case for the fourth time, but the Basmanny Court in Moscow in August 2010 on the complaint of the Imperial House of Representatives recognized this decree as unreasonable. In January 2011, the Investigative Committee of Russia stopped the investigation for the fifth time.

According to the UK, a set of anthropological, forensic, genetic and historical research has convincingly shown the identity of the remains found near Ekaterinburg to be those of the family of Nicholas II and those of his family. In this case the Russian Orthodox Church does not find sufficient grounds to recognize the undisputed ownership of the remains found by members of the royal family.

Surely the handing over of these historical documents to the grand duchess will finally bring some closure to this matter once and for all. One really has to question just what is the Investigation Committee trying to hide?

Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia
9 August, 2011