The Tsar's Family Museum
in Ekaterinburg

The Church on the Blood in Honour of All Saints Resplendent in the Russian Land, built on the former site of the Ipatiev House.
The building to the left is St. Nicholas Church, which is part of the Patriarch's Residence in Ekaterinburg.

||| Back to the Royal Russia News Archive |||
||| Royal Russia Bulletin - Our Official Blog. Updated Daily With News Clips, Videos & Photographs |||
||| Royal Russia Video & Film Archive ||| Romanov & Imperial Russia Links |||
||| Our Bookshop: Books on the Romanovs & Imperial Russia ||| Gilbert's Books - Publisher of Books on the Romanovs |||
||| What's New @ Royal Russia - Updated Monthly |||
||| Return to Royal Russia - Directory ||| Return to Royal Russia - Main Page |||
VIDEO - Source: e2e4.tv ó Екатеринбурге телеканал. Language: Russian. Duration: 1 minute, 44 seconds.

Ekaterinburg is home to a unique museum dedicated to Tsar Nicholas II and his family who were murdered there in July 1918. The museum contains many personal items of the last Russian Imperial family and is located in the Spiritual and Educational Center at the Church on the Blood in Honour of All Saints Resplendent in the Russian Land, built on the former site of the Ipatiev House.

The foundation of the museumís rare collection is thanks to the generosity of Tamara Ventura-Laduska, the daughter of a Don Cossack officer and member of the Russian Monarchist Center in Australia *Watch the interview (in English) with Ms Ventura-Laduska, from July 2008, in which she discusses the collection. The video can be found at the bottom of this page.

The items were discovered in the Ipatiev House by officers of the White Army in 1918. They were subsequently packed in crates and shipped across Siberia where they eventually ended up in Australia and held in safe keep by the Ventura-Laduska family until 2008 when Tamara travelled to Russia and presented them to the Ekaterinburg Diocese.

The display cases in the museums rooms are filled with many personal items of Tsar Nicholas II and his family, including a tiny blanket made by the four grand duchesses for their little bay brother, the Tsarevich Alexei, a glove belonging to Grand Duchess Tatiana, a ladies toiletry bag and a bottle of perfume, letters, icons, coins, medals among numerous other items. The exhibition was supplemented with additional items, including documents and photographs from the Russian State Archives, as well as a rare collection of antiquarian books.

One particularly interesting item on display is an old piano, which was brought from Tobolsk, where the Imperial family was held in captivity during the winter of 1917-1918. Grand Duchess Olga Nikolayevna often played for the whole family, while the four grand duchesses occasionally played a quartet.

For decades, the imperial piano remained in Tobolsk. Then in 2005, it was transported across the Urals to Ekaterinburg, where it found a place in the museum of the Church on the Blood, and is now considered "a relic of great historical value."

Just recently, the piano underwent repairs and restoration, and now, musical evenings are now held in the concert hall of the spiritual and educational center.

The museum also contains an extensive library, and art gallery, it is open to the public every day from 10-00 to 19-00.

The museum is open every day from 10-00 to 19-00.
Photo: Российская газета

The library of the museum.
Photo: Российская газета

The library of the museum.
Photo: Российская газета

The library of the museum.
Photo: Российская газета

Rare documents and photographs in display cases.
Photo: Российская газета

A portrait of Tsar Nicholas II.
Photo: Российская газета

Rare photographs and documents in display cases.
Photo: Российская газета

In the first general population census held in 1897, in the "trade, occupation," the Imperial couple wrote - "The master and mistress of the Russian land."
Photo: Российская газета

Gold and silver ruble coins
Photo: Российская газета

Rare photographs and documents in display cases.
Photo: Российская газета

Items on display include a coronation beaker.
Photo: Российская газета

Visitors enter one of the numerous rooms of the museum.
Photo: Российская газета

Photographs and artwork adorn many walls of the museum.
Photo: Российская газета

Baby blanket of the Tsarevich Alexei.
Photo: Российская газета

Glove of the Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolayevna.
Photo: Российская газета

Ladies toiletry bag, with perfume bottle and ribbon.
Photo: Российская газета

Bottle of perfume, a gift from Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna.
Photo: Российская газета

Personal items of the grand duchesses found in the fireplace of the Ipatiev House after the murders.
Photo: Российская газета

Icon, a gift from Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna.
Photo: Российская газета

The image of the Blessed Virgin, owned by Dr. Botkin, who was murdered along with the Imperial family.
Photo: Российская газета

Various medals and awards.
Photo: Российская газета

A priest's cross awards, established by Emperor Paul I.
Photo: Российская газета

Rare books and photographs in glass cases and along the walls.
Photo: Российская газета

A collection of Russian Imperial Orders.
Photo: Российская газета

A collection of Russian Imperial Orders.
Photo: Российская газета

The meeting room of the museum.
Photo: Российская газета

VIDEO - Interview with Tamara Ventura-Laduska on July 16, 2008 in Ekaterinburg, where she talks about the history of the museum's collection.
Source: Russia Today. Language: English. Duration: 3 minutes and 12 seconds.

Source and Copyright: Российская газета
26 July, 2011