Yalta Monument Marks Romanov's
Rescue and Exile
by Paul Gilbert

The inscription reads: April 11, 1919 Yalta.
The British cruiser "HMS Marlborough," departed here, forever taking into exile, the last surviving members of the imperial family.
Among them, the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna, the Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaevich, and other members of the imperial family.

Source: RuTube.com. Language: Russian. Duration: 2 minutes, 23 seconds.

||| Back to the Royal Russia News Archive |||
||| Royal Russia Bulletin - Our Official Blog. Updated Daily With News Clips, Videos & Photographs |||
||| The Romanovs ||| The Reign of Nicholas II ||| Royal Russia Videos ||| Romanov & Imperial Russia Links |||
||| Our Bookshop: Books on the Romanovs & Imperial Russia ||| Gilbert's Books - Publisher of Books on the Romanovs |||
||| What's New @ Royal Russia - Updated Monthly |||
||| Return to Royal Russia - Directory ||| Return to Royal Russia - Main Page |||
Despite the fact that this story is now two years old, the event will still of interest to any one with an interest in the Romanovs in the Crimea -- Paul Gilbert

On April 11, 2009, a solemn ceremony took place on an historic pier in Yalta’s harbour. A monument was unveiled marking the 90th anniversary of the departure of the last surviving members of the Romanov dynasty who went into perpetual exile from here on April 11, 1919 on board the British cruiser, HMS Marlborough.

It was during the Russian Civil War, and less than a year after the brutal murder of Tsar Nicholas II and his family, that the HMS Marlborough was on duty in the Black Sea and, on the orders of King George V of Great Britain, rescued his aunt, the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna, and 16 other members of the Russian Imperial Family, including Grand Duke Nicholas Nicholaievich, Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna and Prince Felix Yusupov.

As the ship prepared to set sail, a British sloop carrying 170 White Russian soldiers drew up alongside. The soldiers stood on deck and sang the Russian National Anthem. It was the last time the anthem was sung to members of the Imperial Family within Russian territory for over 70 years. The Dowager Empress stood on deck alone. Nobody dared to approach her.

The monument and its unveiling was initiated by the Friends Club of Yalta, and supported by Sergey Braiko, Mayor of Yalta, Yalta City Council and Executive Committee. The two-meter high granite obelisk depicts the emblem of the Russian Empire with an inscription in Russian and English in brass plate.

More than two hundred people attended the ceremony, including guests from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kiev, as well as representatives from the Russian Nobility Association and the Russian Orthodox Church. The ceremony was opened by the Chairman of the Friends Club of Yalta, Sergey Sardyk.

Sardyk noted that the event "does not pursue political goals, but one of an historical-cultural orientation - the symbolism of this date for us is an occasion to recall the glorious pages of Imperial Russian history, and remember the horrible and bloody pages which followed".

A greeting was read out to all present from Her Imperial Highness Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, the Head of the Russian Imperial House who expressed her gratitude to the organizers for memorializing the memory of her ancestors who were forced to leave their homeland after the Russian Revolution.

Following the unveiling, God Save the Tsar was sung by those assembled. The monument was blessed by the priest from the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Yalta, while members of the public laid flowers.

The monument is part of a long-term initiative which will include the development of a museum dedicated to the history of the Romanov dynasty in the Crimea, to be built in Yalta, including a virtual online exhibition.

Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia
24 April, 2011