Grand Duke Dimitri Constantinovich's
House in St. Petersburg
House of Grand Duke Dimitri Constantinovich, St. Petersburg
||| THE ROMANOVS
||| REIGN OF NICHOLAS II
||| PALACES & RESIDENCES
||| ROYAL RUSSIA NEWS
||| ROYAL RUSSIA VIDEOS |||
||| VISIT OUR ROMANOV BOOKSHOP ||| ROMANOV & RUSSIAN LINKS ||| WHAT'S NEW @ ROYAL RUSSIA & GILBERT'S ROYAL BOOKS |||
||| RETURN TO ROYAL RUSSIA - DIRECTORY ||| RETURN TO WELCOME TO ROYAL RUSSIA |||
Tucked away in a quiet section of St. Petersburg, stands the former home of one of Russia's most noble grand dukes, Dimitri Constantinovich.
According to Grand Duke Gabriel Constantinovich's memoirs, his uncle purchased a new house on the Pesochnaya Embankment shortly before the revolution in 1914. --Memories in the Marble Palace, 2009
The Pesochnaya Embankment is situated on Aptekarsky Island between Kamennoostrovsky Avenue and Karpovka River Embankment. It was laid on the left bank of the Malaya Nevka River in 1820s and named Pesochnaya Embankment (Sand Embankment) because of the sandy surface. The nobility built their dachas and mansions on the embankment from the early 19th century including the Guryev Counts, Laval Counts, Zakrevsky Counts, and Shakhovsky Princes.
Built by the Russian architect architect Lev Alexandrovich Ilina, the house was constructed between 1911-13 in the Classical style. Grand Duke Dimitri Constantinovich lived here until 1917.
This little unknown part of St. Petersburg's Imperial history is situated at 24 Pesochnaya Embankment. Restoration to the front facade was carried out in the 1990s and the former grand ducal home is now part of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Grand Duke Dimitri Constantinovich was born in 1860. He was the third son of Grand Duke Constantine Nikolayevich. Although he never played any political role, as a relative of tsar Nicholas II, he was imprisoned and executed by firing squad in the Peter and Paul Fortress in 1919.
19 May, 2009