Topic: Alexander III
For more information and photos on this exhibition, please refer to the following article on our blog;
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 29 October, 2013
The St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly have voted against moving the Tsar Alexander III monument from its current location in the courtyard of the Marble Palace on Millionnaya Ulitsa to its original historical location at Ploshchad Vosstaniya, Baltinfo news agency reported on Monday. The idea to move the monument was initiated by Russian Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky. The issue was discussed with deputies eventually deciding that the relocation would be unreasonable.
The equestrian monument by the scultptor Paolo Trubetskoy was unvelied on May 23rd, 1909 at Znamienskaya Square (Vosstnaniya Square since 1918). The location was chosen because it was near the Nikolayevsky Train Station (Moskovsky since 1924) as the Emperor is considered the founder of the Trans-Siberian Railway.
In 1937 it was removed from Ploshchad Vosstaniya and placed in an interior court yard of the Russian State Museum where it was ostensibly separated from the city. According to popular folklore of the day, the monument became "the prisoner of the Russian museum."
In 1994, the statue was moved to the courtyard of the Marble Palace where it remains to this day.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 04 June, 2013
Firefighters were unable to save the historic building
A recently restored railway station in Lappeenranta, Finland, originally built to serve Tsar Alexander III, was devastated by a blaze early Saturday morning.
Emergency services received a report of a fire in the old wooden building just before 1 AM. Upon arrival firefighters found the structure engulfed in flames.
There were no injuries.
Tsar Alexander III arriving at Lappeenranta in 1885
Known as the "Imperial" station, the building was completed in 1885, when Finland was a Grand Duchy of the Russian Empire. It was first used by Tsar Alexander III during a visit to a military camp in Lappeenranta. Restoration work had been recently completed on the building. It was to be reopened to the public, housing a cafe and souvenir shops.
© YLE News. 19 January, 2013
When Alexander III, the future Emperor of Russia, visited the Langinkoski salmon fishing site for the first time, he was immediately enchanted by the place, and made a pledge to return. He visited Langinkoski as an Emperor for the first time in the summer of 1887, accompanied by his Danish-born wife Marie. In conjunction with this visit, the Emperor and Empress expressed a wish to have a fishing lodge beside the rapids. The Finns soon brought his Majesty’s desire to fruition, and the festive inauguration of the Imperial fishing lodge took place in the summer of 1889.
Emperor Alexander III and Empress Marie Feodorovna
The lodge was designed and built by Finns. The objects in the lodge are original, and almost all of them were made by Finnish craftsmen. The fishing lodge has been restored to the appearance it had when it was used by the Imperial family. The fishing lodge of Alexander III and Empress Marie at the Langinkoski nature reserve is the only building outside Russia which was once owned by the Emperor of Russia and which has been preserved to the present day. Adjacent to the fishing lodge are also a cottage which the Emperor had built for his fishermen, and a small chapel, built by the monks of the Valamo monastery, which existed before the fishing lodge.
The Imperial family visited the fishing lodge during many summers. There, they were allowed to spend relaxed holidays away from the shackles of the stringent court etiquette. At Langinkoski, the Emperor chopped wood and the Empress would cook. Being an avid fisherman, Alexander liked to follow salmon fishing and go fishing himself. He also took his smallest children Mikhail and Olga to pick berries and mushrooms. The entire Langinkoski area reflects history, and the lodge still accommodates an Imperial atmosphere.
© Royal Russia. 10 July, 2012
A new monument to Emperor Alexander III has been unveiled in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk. The ceremony was attended by local government officials, members of the Russian Orthodox Church, as well as Paul Kulikovsky (the great-grandson of Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna).
It was Emperor Alexander III who ordered the construction of the Trans Siberian Railway, of which the city was a major terminus. The new monument overlooks a railway bridge which spans the Ob River.
Large screens were erected for the ceremony in which visitors could view newsreels and photographs about the reign of Alexander III and the construction of the Trans Siberian Railway, considered to be one of the most significant events in the city's history.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 23 June, 2012
A new monument to Emperor Alexander III will be unveiled in the Siberian city of of Novosibirsk on the night of June 22/23. Organisers have announced that the ceremony will be "nothing short of impressive, complete with the unveiling of the monument to the thunder of guns."
For more information on this new monument to Alexander III, please refer to the following news clips on this blog;
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 18 June, 2012
Emperor Alexander III died at Livadia on 1st November [O.S. 20th October] 1894. It has been a common held belief by Western historians that Alexander III had been a heavy drinker which seriously effected his health, and which ultimately resulted in his untimely death. After the fall of the Soviet Union and the opening of the Russian archives, these myths were finally put to rest. It is now known that Emperor Alexander III in fact died of heart failure.
Shortly after Alexander III's death a commemorative gold medal was struck in Russia. The date of his death is noted on the bottom of the medal.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 11 May, 2012
The Church of Christ's Resurrection is located on the outskirts of Yalta in the Crimea. It is situated on a 400-metre cliff overlooking the Black Sea.
The church overlooking the village of Foros was commissioned by, Alexander Kuznetsov, a local landowner and tea trader from Moscow to commemorate the survival of Emperor Alexander III and his family in the Borki train disaster on October 29 [O.S. October 17] 1888. The church was built by the Russian architect, Nikolai Chagin.
The church was consecrated on 4 October, 1892 in the name of the in a ceremony attended by the Ober-Procurator of the Holy Synod, Konstantin Pobedonostsev. The last tsar, Nicholas II, and his wife prayed at the church on the day of the 10th anniversary of the Borki incident.
After the Russian Revolution the church was closed for worshippers, its priest exiled to Siberia and its frescoes painted over. The building was used as a snack bar for tourists until 1969 and stood empty throughout the 1970s and 1980s. It was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church and went through four restoration campaigns.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 09 May, 2012
Newer | Latest | Older