Now Playing: Language: Russian. Duration: 43 seconds
The first meeting of Russia’s Military History Society has begun in Moscow. The Head of the Voice of Russia’s Russian-language service, Armen Gasparyan has been on its board as a co-founder and author of several books on the history of Russian warfare.
Attending the board meeting is Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Grigory Karasin, Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky, head of the Central Elections Committee Vladimir Churov, head of Russia’s Ingushetia region and an active service officer Yunus-Bek Yevkurov, as well as a famous Russian film director Stanislav Govorukhin.
The Imperial Russian Military Historical Society was originally founded in 1907. The first meeting was held in April, its charter was approved by members in August. Tsar Nicholas II was appointed Honourary Chairman in September, granting the society with Imperial status.
President Vladimir Putin is expected to take part in the fund’s meeting that will continue the tradition of the Emperor’s Military History Society established in 1907 and disbanded a decade later.
The society will promote the study of Russia’s military history to commemorate the fallen, maintain historical monuments and explore ancient battlegrounds, the Kremlin said.
© Voice of Russia and Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 14 March, 2013
The State Hermitage (former Winter Palace) is fully engaged in fitting out 800 rooms of the General Staff Building to welcome be the new home for art from the turn of the 19th century onwards, with a full opening scheduled for 2014. Mark Hudson of The Telegraph reported from St. Petersburg on this major new development for the museum/
“As an extension to the Hermitage Museum, the General Staff Building is far more than a mere annex. Viewed across the majestic sweep of Palace Square, the curving Neo-classical facade of this vast early-19th-century office complex already feels like a challenge to the Baroque opulence of the parent institution opposite,” Hudson writes. “And that’s before you’re aware that its 800 rooms are about to be filled with art, much of which has been deemed revolutionary.”
“Devoted to art from 1800 onwards, the new wing will bring the story told in the old Hermitage — which houses the largest collection of paintings in the world — bracingly up to date. On paper at least it has the capacity to be a truly epoch-defining museum, the way the Musée d’Orsay was in the Eighties and Tate Modern in the 2000s,” Hudson says. “And it will, it is hoped, make Russia appear central to the story of modern art in a way it never quite has before — despite the importance of much that has taken place here.”
© Russkiy Mir. 20 November, 2012
On November 17, 1757, Empress Elizaveta founded the Imperial Academy of Three Noble Arts was on the initiative of Ivan Shuvalov, a noted enlightener of that time who also served as the first curator of the academy. Shuvalov brought in teachers from Europe, attracted the first Russian students to be trained at the Academy and donated his remarkable private fine arts collection that became a core of the Academy Museum and Library.
In 1764, Catherine the Great emphasized the significance of the Academy by proclaiming it the Imperial Academy of Arts, approved its charter and staff and granted the Academy a special privilege. The construction of the imposing building of the Imperial Academy of Arts in Neo-Classical style overlooking the Neva-River designed by Alexander Kokorinov and Jean Vallin de la Mothe also began in 1764 and was completed in 1788.
The Imperial Academy of Arts was one of the most progressive cultural entities in those days. The Academy’s first homegrown talents, such artists and architects as A. Losenko, F. Shubin, V. Bazhenov, F. Rokotov, testified to the high level of art education in Russia. The Academy students studied all the pictorial and graphic genres, as well as the art of sculpture and architecture. The most gifted of them were given scholarships to continue their education in France and Italy.
Later, the Academy’s roll call of graduates included eminent painters A. Ivanov, K. Bryullov (who with his masterpiece “The Last Day of Pompeii” became the first Academy painter to enjoy an international reputation in 1834 when it won the Grand Prix at the Paris Salon), I. Repin, V. Polenov, V. Surikov; sculptors I. Martos, V. Demut-Malinovski, S. Pimenov, I. Prokofiev, M. Antokolski; architects A. Voronikhin, N. Benois, K. Ton, I. Fomin, V. Shuko and many others.
In 1992, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, by a presidential edict the USSR Academy of Arts was transformed into the Russian Academy of Arts. Since 1997 to the present day the academy of has been headed by the world-renowned artist and sculptor Zurab Tsereteli.
© Russkiy Mir. 18 November, 2012
The new museum is located outside the Moscow State Historical Museum on Red Square where a large exhibition took place in 1912 to mark the centenary of the Patriotic War of 1812.
The recently unveiled exhibition is organized in a two-storey pavilion featuring a great variety of rarities, including military maps and personal belongings. The opening of the museum appears to be a truly landmark occasion in a series of events celebrating the 200th anniversary of Russia’s victory over Napoleon.
A large piece of a mural painting from the Christ the Savior Cathedral which was blown up in 1931 catches your eye as soon as you enter the museum. The cathedral was built in late 19th century to celebrate Russia’s victory over Napoleon. There you can also see a large screen showing a film about the Napoleonic Wars. The exhibition combines traditional glass museum display cases and multimedia. “There are no accidental exhibits here”, the organizers say. Kirill Meerov, who runs the information department at the Historical Museum, showed the VoR`s correspondent around the museum.
“Just look: this is a throne which belonged to Emperor Alexander I. He asked for a throne similar to the one owned by Napoleon to be made for him but with different symbolic engravings. The one owned by Napoleon is on display at Versailles, and Alexander`s throne can be seen at our museum in Moscow”.
The collection also features authentic pieces of the Russian army uniform, as well as items from Alexander`s field church, portraits of the heroes of the Borodino Battle, and the ribbon of the Order of Saint Andrew the First-Called worn by General Pyotr Bagration when he was fatally wounded during the Borodino Battle. Things once belonged to Field Marshal Kutuzov are being displayed separately: his decorations, tableware, small telescope and notes he made during the Battle of Borodino. Visitors can also see French cannons and a field kitchen used by the French army, and Napoleon’s sleigh he boarded to flee Russia. Some exhibits are really outstanding. For example, Napoleon’s sabre: in 1814 he presented it to Alexander`s aide, General Shuvalov shortly after the two had swapped their coats. Why did they do that? Napoleon could have been killed on his way to the island of Elba, and to avoid this the Russian general put on Napoleon`s coat at the risk of his life.
It looks that the newly opened War of 1812 museum in Moscow will attract plenty of visitors interested in learning many interesting stories behind 2,000 exhibits on display.
© The Voice of Russia. 05 September, 2012
Marble bust of Emperor Alexander III by Enrico Braga
A National Portrait Gallery has opened to the public at the State Historical Museum in Moscow. The idea for a National Portrait Gallery was conceived two years ago and is now a reality, thanks to the joint efforts of the State Historical Museum, the Tretyakov Gallery.
The exhibit includes more than 100 portraits and busts of outstanding state, public and cultural figures from Russian history are celebrated in portrait, beginning with members of the Romanov dynasty from the first Romanovs up to the last tsar, Nicholas II.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 14 March, 2012
President Vladimir Putin visits the newly restored Battle of Borodino Panorama Museum
In 2012, Russia celebrates 200 years since its victory in the war against Napoleon in 1812.
A museum devoted to the battle of Borodino, one of the most decisive battles of that war, has been restored in Moscow.
The ceremony of its opening for the public took place last Tuesday.
The museum is a round building which presents a panorama of the battle, with models of soldiers, horsemen and cannons and a painted background.
This background is a canvas 115 meters long and 15 meters high, painted by Franz Roubaud.
Initially, the museum opened in 1912, when Russia was celebrating 100 years since the victory. The last Russian emperor, Nicholas II, held the opening ceremony.
Now, it has taken artists less than half a year to restore Roubaud’s masterpiece.
Besides the panorama which is really impressive, visitors will also see personal things which once belonged to Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov and other heroes of the war.
© TASS. 12 March, 2012
The Imperial Chambers of the Romanov Boyars Museum in Moscow will be restored by next year for the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty in 2013.
The museum has stated that it will be a partial restoration, because the building is still in rather good condition.
Along with the repair work in the Imperial Chambers, there are plans to redesign the layout of the museum itself. This will allow visitors to experience how the noble families of the 16th and 17th century Moscow lived.
The imperial manor became a museum in 1857. It also gave birth to the legend that the future tsar of Russia would be born there. The Imperial Chambers have been a branch of the State Historical Museum since 1932.
© Russia Info-Centre. 29 February, 2012
After a large-scale expertise the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation has started digitalization of the museum fund of the Russian Federation for creation of an electronic catalog.
The museum fund totals more than 73 million exhibits and more than a half – around 40 million - is planned to be included in an electronic by 2020.
The work is already under way - last year 1,5 million exhibits were digitized, and 5 million more are expected to be transferred into electronic form in 2011. There has never been such a master catalog that would unite all the museums.
In future it will be possible to arrange virtual excursions on the basis of this catalog.
© RIAN.RU. 09 March, 2011
Newer | Latest | Older