The wall panels and bookcase in the grand duchesses classroom were made from the same oak tree. Photo credit: Old Yalta
Poster announcing this years White Flower Day at Livadia
Livadia Palace, situated near Yalta in the Crimea was the setting for the White Flower Day on Sunday, May 19th. The tradition of this charitable sale originated in the early twentieth century by the last Empress of Russia, Alexandra Feodorona.
Beginning in 1911, the whole community took part including members of the Imperial family and the nobility who were vacationing at their palaces in the region, and the local townsfolk. They flocked in numbers to contribute to the good deeds by buying bouquets of white daisies, paying what they could whether it was a few kopecks or hundreds of rubles. Each donation helped alleviate the suffering of those in need. The grand duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia, and their little brother Alexis eagerly assisted their mother at the open stalls.
The noble cause was reinstituted in 2005, and has since been held annually on the second Sunday after Easter. The event is held at the Church of the Exaltation at Livadia Palace. Money collected in this year's auction will be spent on new equipment and the training of nurses at a new retirement home to be opened in the territory of the Yalta City Hospital, as well as helping the poor and sick to fight tuberculosis.
The symbol of this holiday is the white daisy, which today is distributed to all who make a donation. The people of Yalta took an active interest in the event, including the local women who donated their baked goods, handicrafts and flowers, while local school children donated their drawings, and handicrafts made of white flowers.
White Flower Day at the Martha Mary Convent in Moscow. Photo credit: Pravmir.ru
White Flower Day is held in a growing number of cities across Russia, including Moscow, St. Petersburg and Ekaterinburg.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 20 May, 2013
A memorial chapel to the Holy Royal Martyrs has been erected at Livadia in the Crimea. The seven-meter chapel is located at the entrance to the palace-museum. Inside the tiny chapel is a beautiful icon made of mosaic tiles depicting Tsar Nicholas II, his wife Alexandra, their son Tsesarevich Alexis, and their four daughters, the Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia standing in front of the Livadia Palace.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 17 May, 2013
Nicholas II and his wife, Alexandra walking along the Tsar's Trail during one of their visits to Livadia
The famous Tsar's Trail which stretches along the Black Sea coast of the Crimea has been closed due to a landslide.
Laid more than a century ago, Tsar Nicholas II and his family often walked the 6-km trail between Livadia and Oreanda, enjoying the spectacular views of the Black Sea and the mountain slopes.
Heavy rains contirbuted to the collapse of a 10-metre portion of the historic trail earlier this week. Local officials are blaming the development of high-rise apartments which aided with the erosion of the slopes since their construction in 2006.
Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Crimea Anatoly Mogilev is holding the construction company who build the high-rise apartments liable and has ordered them to restore the trail.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 19 September, 2012
The Livadia Palace-Museum have published two new books as part of their ongoing celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the famous residence of Tsar Nicholas II in the Crimea.
The first book, The Romanovs in Livadia: At Home With the Family of Nicholas II, 1911-1914, provides a photographic history of the last Russian tsar and his family during their stays at Livadia, while the second, Livadia in Watercolours, offers a beautiful collection of watercolours of the palace, its interiors and surrounding park by a variety of Russian artists. Both are richly illustrated with text in Russian.
© Royal Russia. 6 December, 2011
The palace of Livadia has launched a comprehensive web site as part of their 100th anniversary. The site is filled with information about the history of the palace, its Imperial residents, and richly illustrated with hundreds of historical and contemporary photos.
The web site is currently only available in Russian, and there are still a number of sections under construction.
© Royal Russia. 19 November, 2011
The Study of Tsar Nicholas II, Livadia Palace
Final preparations are now underway for the long-awaited restoration of the second-floor of the Livadia Palace.
The second-floor includes the former private apartments of Tsar Nicholas II and his family while they were in residence.
Palace officials have confirmed that the furniture, carpets, art work and other personal items in the rooms have been carefully packed and put into storage while the restorations are carried out.
More than $1.5 million USD has been allocated for the restorations, and another $2 million USD to be allocated by the end of the year.
Restorations include repairs to the walls and ceilings, stucco elements, updating the wallpaper, refurbishing the floors, etc. before the second-floor is once again open to the public.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 15 November, 2011
Livadia Palace celebrated its 100th anniversary with the opening of a new gallery of portraits to the Russian emperors Alexander II, Alexander III and Nicholas II.
© Royal Russia. 22 October, 2011
A gallery of portraits of Russian emperors associated with the history of Livadia has opened in the palace.
The new gallery is part of the celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the Livadia Palace, built by Emperor Nicholas II, near the town of Yalta, in the Crimea.
Newer | Latest | Older