Topic: Russian History
A meeting of the Imperial Russian Historical Society at the Novo-Mikhailovsky Palace, the residence of the Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich in St. Petersburg. The Grand Duke had been appointed President by Nicholas II. (c. early 20th-century)
Russian State Duma Speaker Sergei Naryshkin has proposed the revival of the Russian Historical Society.
"Russia's historical society occupied a prominent place in public life in Russia during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Their work included very educated and honest enthusiasts of their time," said Naryshkin.
Speaking at a roundtable discussion on the culture, education, and preservation of Russian history, he noted: "I think we need to revive our traditions, studying and drawing on their experience."
"By the end of May we plan to hold a meeting of the organizing committee and will soon create the Constituent Assembly of the Russian Historical Society," he went on to say.
The Russian Historical Society was founded in 1866 by local and military historians, as well as government officials. The charter was approved on 23 May, 1866 by Emperor Alexander II. The purpose of the Society was "to contribute fully to the development of education in Russian national history." The Society received the highest approval of the Emperor.
On 24 November 1873, it was given the name of the Imperial Russian Historical Society. It published studies on Russian history and historical documents connected with the Imperial Russian state.
Both Emperors and Grand Dukes became members of the Society. In 1884, at the age of sixteen, Tsarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich (the future Tsar Nicholas II) was appointed an honorary member of the Society. Other notable members and active supporters included Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich (an eminent historian who was appointed as President of the Society by Nicholas II), Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich, and Constantine Pobedonostev (tutor to Nicholas II and Procurator of the Holy Synod) to name a few. During the reign of Nicholas II, meetings of the Society were regularly held in the Corner Drawing Room of the Alexander Palace at Tsarskoe Selo.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 03 May, 2012