Topic: Alexander Palace
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 24 April, 2012
The exhibit, In the Children's Rooms at the Alexander Palace has been extended until 30th April, 2012.
The exhibit which originally opened in June 2011 is set out in the former rooms of the children of Tsar Nicholas II on the second floor of the Alexander Palace.
The exhibit tells the story of the lives of the Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia, as well as the Tsarevich Alexei, and includes more than 200 items, many being exhibited for the first time.
© Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. 23 January, 2012
A porcelain cat that was once belonged to the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna has returned to the Alexander Palace.
The object was presented to the Empress as a Christmas gift in 1903, however, it disappeared after the 1917 Revolution. It was recently purchased at an auction in Moscow by the Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve.
The colour-glazed, almost life-size figure was produced in 1903, along with 3 other similar works by the St. Petersburg Imperial Porcelain Manufactory. They were sculpted by Ivan Zotov to the design of August Heinrich Timus, the manufacturers sculpture workshop manager who created a series of animal figures in the early 1900s.
The cat will once again join the growing porcelain collection of the Alexander Palace.
© Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. 2 January, 2012
The Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve have announced that the extensive multi-year restoration of the Alexander Palace will commence in 2012.
Earlier this year, the St Petersburg Government’s Cultural Heritage Preservation Committee approved the Prospective Restoration Concept for the Alexander Palace that will allow the museum to receive 700 to 800 visitors simultaneously.
The concept developed by the Studio 44 architecture workshop includes a comprehensive restoration plan which, unlike before, aims to renovate all the palace halls instead of few, reproducing the interior furnishings of the last imperial family’s quarters as closely as their surviving elements and iconographic sources allow.
The first floors of the East Wing (Nicholas and Alexandra’s rooms) and the Suite of State Rooms will house an expanded permanent display, while those of the West Wing will accommodate the Alexander Palace Cultural and Historical Center with public-access stores, a 100-seat lecture hall and other premises.
On the second floors there will be classrooms and computer halls of the Children’s Education Center in the East Wing (former Children’s Rooms), temporary exhibition spaces in the central building, and the museum administration offices in the West Wing. The wings’ attics will hide vent chambers.
Maintenance and service facilities like ticket offices, cloakrooms, lockers, cafés, toilets, etc. will occupy the basement floors, deepened to accommodate all the necessary modern infrastructures with maximum reverence for the historical building.
© Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. 11 November, 2011
In September 2011 Don Manuel-Angel Conde Basilio of Malaga, Spain visited St. Petersburg for the first time to honour the dying wish of his father who asked his son to return to Tsarskoye Selo, a book he salvaged from a devastated Alexander Palace in 1943. Back then Fernando Conde Lopez wasa young surgeon of the Spanish Blue Division accompanying the German Army on the Eastern Front during World War II. According to a surgical fieldbook of his hospital at Tsarskoye Selo, which is now in the possession of his family, he operated on both German soldiers and Soviet prisoners.
Fernando Conde Lopez lost one arm during a bombardment and had to return to Spain, thus avoiding the fate of thousands of Nazis who met their deaths near Leningrad. Wandering through the desolate halls of the Alexander Palace before his departure in May 1943, he stepped over some Russian books scattered in dirt and water, when the wind from a broken window turned the pages of one book revealing a picture of Don Quixote, the character familiar to every Spaniard. Fernando brought his weathered find back home with him and inscribed it: "This book was taken by me on 16 May, 1943 from a ravaged library of the imperial palace at Tsarskoye Selo (Russia). F. Conde."
The book which may have belonged to Tsar Nicholas II, was Volume II of the Russian edition of Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote published by N.A. Shigin Publishers in St. Petersburg in 1893. Fernando dreamed of returning it to Tsarskoye Selo, but returning anything to Russian museums was impossible under Franco's dictatorship. The dream of the father was passed down to his son Manuel, who thought of carrying the book to the Soviet consulate in Madrid, but then he was afraid it might up collecting dust on some bureaucrats desk, or in a trash bin, after the Soviet Union collapsed in the early 1990s.
Now retired, Don Manuel has travelled to St. Petersburg together with his children to see the places his father told him about and to return the book to the museum.
Having lost eighty percent of the Imperial library collection during WWII, Tsarskoye Selo treasures each volume regained.
© Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. 8 November, 2011
The English oak tree seen in the watercolour painted in 1917 by the Tsarevich Alexei's personal physician, Vladimir Derevenko (1879-1936), was greatly admired by the young heir.
The oak tree did not survive, but the Tsarskoye Selo Palace-Museum Preserve have announced plans to plant a new oak tree in the same spot of the Alexander Park.
Four oak trees, each of which are more than 200 years old have survived in the park. In early October, fifty acorns were gathered from the four trees and taken to the greenhouses where they will be seeded and raised.
The new tree will grace the park in a few years as part of the extensive restoration project of the Alexander Palace and the Private Garden.
© Royal Russia. 4 November, 2011
The exhibition In the Children's Rooms of the Alexander Palace has been extended to November 10, 2011. This new video shows the newly renovated rooms of the children of Tsar Nicholas II, located on the second floor of the palace.
© Royal Russia. 22 October, 2011
On May 7, 2011, the Semi-Circular Hall of the Alexander Palace saw the presentation of the recreated silk and cherille fabric for the window decorations in the State Study of Nicholas II.
The room's furnishings of 1903-1906 by the Meltzer firm have partly survived down to the present day, including samples of the fabric that inspired Ms Natalya Taraskina of Tissura, a high-quality Russian textile seller, to approach Fabric Frontline, a renowned printed silk manufacturer in Switzerland. Thanks to the two companies' genuine interest in the restoration of the last Russian tsar's apartments and to the masterly handicraft of Elsa, Maya and Andre Stutz, the recreated historical fabric will definately add to the authenticity of the famous moderne-styled interior after the future comprehensive restoration work at the palace.
© Tsarskoye Selo State-Museum Preserve. 20 May, 2011
On February 3, 2011, the St. Petersburg Government's Cultural Heritage Preservation Committee approved the Prospective Restoration Concept for the Alexander Palace that will allow the museum to receive 700 to 800 visitors simultaneously.
The concept developed by the Studio 44 architecture workshop includes a comprehensive restoration plan which, unlike before, aims to renovate all the palace halls instead of a few, reproducing to interior furnishings of the last imperial family's quarters as closely as their surviving elements and iconographic sources allow.
The first floors of the East Wing (Nicholas II and Alexandra's rooms) and the Suite of State Rooms will house an expanded permanent display, while those of the West Wing will accomodate the Alexander Palace Cultural and Historical Center with public-access stores, a 100-seat lecture hall and other premises.
On the second floor there will be classrooms and computer halls of the Children's Education Center in the East Wing (former Children's Rooms), temporary exhibition spaces in the central building, and the museum administration offices in the West Wing. The wings' attics will hide vent chambers.
Maintenance and service facilities like ticket offices, cloakrooms, lockers, cafes, toilets, etc., will occupy the basement floors, deepened to accomodate all the necessary modern infrastructures and maximum reverence for the historical building.
© Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Preserve. 20 May, 2011